What other flakes?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lakebound

Reaction score
So, I've come to the conclusion as of last summer that I don't care for aromatics. I am a dedicated flake smoker. My current go-to favorites are (not in any particular order mind you):

Peterson's Irish Flake
Peterson's University Flake
McLelland Navy Cavendish
MacBaren Navy Flake
Stonehaven

I've also tried and like P.S. Luxury Navy Flake, Orlik Golden sliced and Dunhill Navy Roll.

What other flakes without Latakia would you recommend that I try?

Thanks,

You have listed all the flakes I have tried and liked, I LOVE PETERSON IRISH FLAKE!!!!! I will keep an eye out and I'm Sure some the other more seasoned members will have great suggestions so I will be following your thread as well as I'm interested in the answer to your question. Have you tried Mac Baren Latakia Flake? I havent yet but have an unoppened tin of it.

Frank, take a look at Sammy G's St James Flake.  It's a cracking VaPer.  Probably up there in my top 3.

Thistleoak":tddn2n94 said:
You have listed all the flakes I have tried and liked, I LOVE PETERSON IRISH FLAKE!!!!! I will keep an eye out and I'm Sure some the other more seasoned members will have great suggestions so I will be following your thread as well as I'm interested in the answer to your question. Have you tried Mac Baren Latakia Flake? I havent yet but have an unoppened tin of it.
I've tried and tried and tried Latakia. Just cannot do it. About the only blend that I am fond of that contains Latakia is Plumb Cake.

Maybe I've found my favorites? Probably.

Stick":28oyc7b5 said:
Frank, take a lot at Sammy G's St James Flake.  It's a cracking VaPer.  Probably up there in my top 3.
Will do, thank you for the suggestion. I just added it to my cart at Smoking Pipes.

Best regards,

Recommended:
GH Brown Flake Unscented (make sure to order the unscented)
Dunhill Dark Flake
St Bruno

Suggested:
Capstan Original Navy (blue tin)
Players Navy Cut (if you can order from the UK in some fashion)
SG B.S./Brown Sugar Flake
SG Lakeland Dark (often more a broken flake)
Savinelli Brunello Flake
Dan Patriot Flake
McConnell Scottish Flake
SG Best Brown Flake
McClellend 2035 Dark Navy Flake
SG Sam's Flake (Orientals but no Latakia)

More than a touch of rum:
GH Rum Flake
C&D After Hours
Rotary Navy Cut (discernable rum)

DrT999":acj9f96q said:
Recommended:
Dunhill Dark Flake
St Bruno

Suggested:
Savinelli Brunello Flake
Dan Patriot Flake
McConnell Scottish Flake
SG Best Brown Flake

GH Rum Flake
C&D After Hours
Fantastic shopping list! The only one that I couldn't locate would be the Rotary Navy Cut. But, with your list, I can tell you that I will be busy for years!

Thank you all for the suggestions. Keep them coming please.

Best regards,

Escudo
F&T Cut Blended Plug and Cut Virginia Plug
Aged Burley Flake
4th Generation 1931
1792 Flake
St. Bruno Flake
Condor Long Cut
Campaign Dark Flake
Astley's no. 44
McConnell Folded Flake and Scottish Flake
Sillem's Councillor 1695

Gawith Full Va Flake
Dan Hamburger Veermaster
McClelland St James Woods
Solani Aged Burley Flake
Solani Silver Flake.

I really enjoy Savinelli Brunello Flake , McC Dark Navy Flake, OGS from 2011 to present with a couple of years of aging it becomes a much darker Flake than my older aged tins. OGS use to always be a good smoke, now it's FABULOUS. Aother member who can chime in on this if he likes because after he's smoked OGS for MANY years he feels the same as I do. He said the other day " its soooooo good now I can almost cry "!
I also smoke often P S Luxury Bullseye Flake....black smoooooooth cavendish, Virginia and Perique....superb with a few years of aging.
Have fun, try'em all :cheers: :cheers:

I haven't smoked St. Bruno in years.

PS... how can I forget my two favorites....Solani ABF & Rattray's Marlin Flake. See what happens when you don't sleep well :fpalm:

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!

A few of my favorites have already been mentioned here, but here's a few that haven't.

Blackwoods Flake
Matured VA No.24
Renier Long Golden Flake
Old Dark Fired

Navyflake":o4qddehy said:
DrT999":o4qddehy said:
Recommended:
Dunhill Dark Flake
St Bruno

Suggested:
Savinelli Brunello Flake
Dan Patriot Flake
McConnell Scottish Flake
SG Best Brown Flake

GH Rum Flake
C&D After Hours
Fantastic shopping list! The only one that I couldn't locate would be the Rotary Navy Cut. But, with your list, I can tell you that I will be busy for years!

Best regards,
It looks like neither Mars nor Smoking Pipes carry Rotary any more. Are they out of business, I wonder? And you found Player's in the US?

DrT999":6ovm708l said:
Navyflake":6ovm708l said:
DrT999":6ovm708l said:
Recommended:
Dunhill Dark Flake
St Bruno

Suggested:
Savinelli Brunello Flake
Dan Patriot Flake
McConnell Scottish Flake
SG Best Brown Flake

GH Rum Flake
C&D After Hours

Best regards,
It looks like neither Mars nor Smoking Pipes carry Rotary any more.  Are they out of business, I wonder?  And you found Player's in the US?  
Actually, I missed that one. And no, I wasn't able to find it after doing a quick search. Sorry about that false report!

Here's another excellent inexpensive Flake available in bulk and with 5 years plus of aging is an outstanding smoke....

Newminster #400 Superior Navy Flake, still cheap to purchase and with age it can be a daily smoke!!

WTF happened to Peterson University Flake in the past 2 years :scratch: :scratch: :fpalm:

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!

Lonecoyote":tud4wvb1 said:
Here's another excellent inexpensive Flake available in bulk and with 5 years plus of aging is an outstanding smoke....

Newminster #400 Superior Navy Flake, still cheap to purchase and with age it can be a daily smoke!!

WTF happened to Peterson University Flake in the past 2 years :scratch: :scratch: :fpalm:

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!
I do have Newminster #400 Superior Navy Flake currently in my wishlist. As for University Flake, it's one of my all time favorites. Was there an earlier version/recipe that was far better? If so, I would certainly like to ge my hands on some of that! :lol:

Frank":7nt0fqhv said:
I do have Newminster #400 Superior Navy Flake currently in my wishlist. As for University Flake, it's one of my all time favorites. Was there an earlier version/recipe that was far better? If so, I would certainly like to ge my hands on some of that
Something happened with the quality of University Flake, during 2015 I noticed. For me it does not smoke well now, no comparison to the release prior to 2015. I have a few old tins I'll pop one again soon. I'm still trying to get through the 2015 tin I opened last month!!

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!

Lots of excellent suggestions here, boys. I could do a +1 on lots of ‘em but will just underscore one...Solani Silver Flake. This is not mentioned nearly enough around here. It was one of the first “real” blends I bought at the Peretti store in Boston, years ago. Truly epic.

Also, a suggestion. Seriously. You should take Stonehaven off your list. You’ll be happier if you do cause It’ll just make you crazy.

Blackhorse":ggtq4l5g said:
Lots of excellent suggestions here, boys. I could do a +1 on lots of ‘em but will just underscore one...Solani Silver Flake. This is not mentioned nearly enough around here. It was one of the first “real” blends I bought at the Peretti store in Boston, years ago. Truly epic.

Also, a suggestion. Seriously. You should take Stonehaven off your list. You’ll be happier if you do cause It’ll just make you crazy.
Solani Silver Flake just added to my wishlist. I did buy an 8 oz. bag this summer, cracked it open and allow myself to savor a bowl once in a great while. It's vaulted in a nicely sealed jar. After it's gone, I'll miss it I'm sure.

Regards,

Navyflake":h1teapfy said:
Blackhorse":h1teapfy said:

Solani Silver Flake just added to my wishlist. I did buy an 8 oz. bag this summer, cracked it open and allow myself to savor a bowl once in a great while. It's vaulted in a nicely sealed jar. After it's gone, I'll miss it I'm sure.

Regards,
I find Solani's Aged Burley Flake to have a ton more flavor than their Silver Flake, which I found almost completely bland. However, I've only had it from a fresh tin, so maybe it needs some jar time?