What other flakes?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lonecoyote":5qokbm8v said:
monbla256":5qokbm8v said:
It's the Ketchup man, we all know that !! It's the best anti-fungal made ! Ya never see fungus on a ketchup bottle do ya ?
Oh, I figured it was the anti fungal agent. However in some McC's I do and so do other pipe smokers sometimes pick up that slight hint of vinegar towards the end of the bowl.

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!
If you haven't been, go to Durham, NC, when they are auctioning the Va harvest and you'll smell that "anti-fungal" aroma coming off many of the piles of red va. :twisted: :twisted: My fathers family raised Va tobacco for Reynolds Tobacco back in the '50s and I spent many summers up there on the their tobacco farm. :twisted: :twisted:

monbla256

About 30 minutes from Durham and a Dr I see is right there. Next year I will definitely search for a tobacco farm. Thanks for the info.!

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!

DrT999":obm9mueh said:
Recommended:
GH Brown Flake Unscented (make sure to order the unscented)
Dunhill Dark Flake
St Bruno

Suggested:
Capstan Original Navy (blue tin)
Players Navy Cut (if you can order from the UK in some fashion)
SG B.S./Brown Sugar Flake
SG Lakeland Dark (often more a broken flake)
Savinelli Brunello Flake
Dan Patriot Flake
McConnell Scottish Flake
SG Best Brown Flake
McClellend 2035 Dark Navy Flake
SG Sam's Flake (Orientals but no Latakia)

More than a touch of rum:
GH Rum Flake
C&D After Hours
Rotary Navy Cut (discernable rum)
Taking your suggestions, I received an ounce of McClellend 2035 Dark Navy Flake and a tin of GH Rum Flake this afternoon. The Dark Navy Flake is prepped and sitting in the bowl of one of my favorite pipes to try a little later after the rain subsides.

Looking forward to trying so many more of these great suggestions!

Regards,

Ozark Wizard":h82nkaaj said:
Oh, that 2035 is some good stuff.... The Rum flake is no slouch either!
Agreed wholeheartedly. The 2035 is burning long and even tonight. Nice ash with only about 30 minutes of open air prep. Right from the bag, I'm very pleased with this sampling.

A keeper in the stable for me for sure..

Regards,

Lonecoyote":ib6mgaoe said:
monbla256

About 30 minutes from Durham and a Dr I see is right there. Next year I will definitely search for a tobacco farm. Thanks for the info.!

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!
Sadly the old tobacco barns in which tobacco was auctioned no longer serve that purpose. Many have been torn down and others have been "gentrified" for other purposes. Tobacco is no longer a part of the city's industry. :( :( There are still farms for sure, but my fathers family sold theirs 20 years ago. :twisted:

I've tried three bowls if GH Rum Flake now in three different pipes and still do not care for this flake.

Getting a bitter, almost soapy/perfume taste. All three pipes are trusted smokers that are well broken in and seasoned flake pipes.

This one goes into the "not again" column.

Anyone has a flake trade to offer, send me a PM. This is a fresh tin at 98 % full. I'll try something new.

Regards,

DrT999":2cuiu36p said:
Sorry you didn't like it. :(
No apologies necessary my dear friend. That's part of this great adventure! I have all your suggestions in a shopping cart in cyberspace!

Thanks for your recommendations.

I just got half a pound of Rum Flake, and found it rather nice, but it was pretty dried out. A shame you don't got on with it... Ah, well, plenty more to explore, eh?

I enjoy G&H Rum Flake but oddly I never got a rum flavor from it. I got about as much rum flavor as I got chocolate from Bob's. The advertisied flavors in both of these are like the vermouth in a martini made by the gin lover that hates the idea of adding it to the cocktail shaker. Sparse and perhaps only there in ones imagination.

Ozark Wizard":fooo7t3f said:
I just got half a pound of Rum Flake, and found it rather nice, but it was pretty dried out. A shame you don't got on with it... Ah, well, plenty more to explore, eh?
After the first two bowls, I thought that it may be a moisture issue. The first bowl I tried after allowing the tobacco to sit out for about 10 minutes. The second bowl (the next day) was with a different pipe and after allowing the tobacco to sit out for thirty minutes.

Last night's bowl was after the tobacco sat out for at least 3 hours and in one of my best pipes.

All three pipes are cleaned (as all mine are) after each use. No gunk in the mortise. It may just be this batch. But, I get a bitter/soapy almost cologne like fragrance/taste.

More flakes to try however. Moving on.....