What other flakes?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lonecoyote":c2afzvic said:
Something happened with the quality of University Flake, during 2015 I noticed. For me it does not smoke well now, no comparison to the release prior to 2015. I have a few old tins I'll pop one again soon. I'm still trying to get through the 2015 tin I opened last month!!

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!
Something happened with Irish Flake too. It's noticeably weaker, which I don't mind because it's still flavorful. But a few years ago I had 2 50g tins of Irish Flake, the tins were the small rectangular ones. The tobacco from these tins of IF was nothing short of butt-kicking in strength. The current version is on par with Mac Baren's Old Dark Fired which to me is a very friendly kind of strong (a hair above medium in nic with strong flavor strength). This was why I was asking Ozark Wizard what the strength of the current version of the 3P's he was smoking was like, I was simply wondering if it had been toned down some as well.

Mac Baren HH Old Dark Fired (one of my favorites)
Mac Baren HH BOLD Kentucky (STRONG but yum!)

I'm a lover of ALL the McB's HH blends. Stock up within the next few months before they are gone forever :( :(

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!

Lonecoyote":3qp6x6c8 said:
I'm a lover of ALL the McB's HH blends. Stock up within the next few months before they are gone forever  :(  :(  

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!
What's going on with the HH blends? I know Vintage Syrian is discontinued for obvious reasons, but the rest?

from ak2000: “I find Solani's Aged Burley Flake to have a ton more flavor than their Silver Flake, which I found almost completely bland. However, I've only had it from a fresh tin, so maybe it needs some jar time?”

OK...apples and oranges...

The 660 Silver: A blend of premium dark red and sweet Virginias from the "border belt", light yellow Virginia from South Carolina and dark-fired, spicy Kentucky. Notes: It is a natural blend with no additives or flavors.

Now 656 Aged Burley Flake: A skillful mixture of three aged burleys - dark brown burley from Kentucky, light burley from Brazil, and white burley from Malawi - Southeast Africa. A very natural blend with absolutely no additives or flavors - a true burley blend. Notes: Blender R.L. Will developed a unique toasting process to enhance the natural sweetness of this blend. No sugar has been added.

One being mostly VA and the other being Burley...yeah, they’re gonna be really different. Both are excellent representatives of their respective genres.

ak2000":xpqq3sxa said:
What's going on with the HH blends? I know Vintage Syrian is discontinued for obvious reasons, but the rest?
For example: one of my favorites in the McB's HH series is the old Dark fired in the tin. It was first released in 2011. Falls way short of the FDA cut off date. Obviously on the chopping block.

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!

Ok I see, that's assuming the legislation isn't changed. I thought I read somewhere recently that there was some successful push back for premium cigars.

ak2000":gcw2in4f said:
Ok I see, that's assuming the legislation isn't changed. I thought I read somewhere recently that there was some successful push back for premium cigars.
Correct, might be delayed a few months to as much as a couple of years. When it comes to government one never knows do one!!!
As for cigars I read an article also, that's what's been talked about. If cigars date was pushed ahead why not pipe tobacco's. Really what started this debacle is all the VAPING oils on the market and NOT knowing exactly what the ingredients are.
All I can say is stock up before the end of February 2018. From that date on can/will be enforced at any time, with a few months notice. Right now our President has enough on his plate  :scratch:  :fpalm:

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!

A staple I'm surprised I didn't see listed is PS Luxury Twist Flake. McC Blackwoods Flake is amazing and I see ODF has been suggested. Watch City Cigars has a couple of flake offerings that sound great but I haven't tried them yet. If you want powerful then you might try 1792 Flake. Other than those I can't think of many that haven't been suggested already.

Jim

Guess not many folks like OGS (Orlik Golden Sliced) from the dirth of recomendations!! And I concur with the Dunhil Flake as well as Erinmore Flake. JMHO  :twisted:  :twisted:

I don't see Orlik Dark Strong Kentucky or Stokebye Luxury Twist Flake mentioned (unless I missed it), both are inexpensive and very tasty.

Thought I mentioned OGS prior :scratch: :scratch: :scratch:

One of my favorites which is like impossible to find I forgot too mention is Germain's Rich Dark Flake....really floats my boat :cheers:

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!

Lonecoyote":6lmxpsko said:
Thought I mentioned OGS prior :scratch: :scratch: :scratch:

One of my favorites which is like impossible to find I forgot too mention is Germain's Rich Dark Flake....really floats my boat :cheers:

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!
I almost mentioned the Germain Flakes, but 1) I can never get an actual flake out, just narrow strips, & 2) they are pretty difficult to come across :roll:

DrT":u1l27xpo said:
I almost mentioned the Germain Flakes, but 1) I can never get an actual flake out, just narrow strips, & 2) they are pretty difficult to come acros
I was recently gifted a few quite large flakes that were shipped directly by a friend from Europe to a BoB member. It was in bulk and the same size Flake as Newminster #400. Was commonly available during the time period when I was living in Europe. It's simply an outstanding tobacco!!! Rich smooth dark chocolate notes and an extremely pleasant after taste. Smoked cool and slow :cheers: :cheers:

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!

I'm late to the party (as usual), but need to put in my plug for bulk McC 2015. While it's a broken flake it might just qualify, including and especially if you're a VaPer aficionado like myself. For me anyway, this is the standard to which all others are judged.  

Reasonably priced on many e-tailers, always in stock, and no worries of the dreaded regs curtailing the production.

Apart from that, there are many other suggestions here too numerous to list that are worthy of consideration.

:cat:

Cheers,

RR

Nothing wrong with getting into flake that's  broken up a bit. Okay then...now I will HIGHLY recommend McC's 40th Anniversary. It's an excellent smoke now but with a few years of aging I'm willing to bet it will be an outstanding smooth tasty smoke. I was pleasantly surprised when I tried a fresh tin recently. Best if rubbed out more, much more complexity. Yup, there is that ketchup smell. So many McC blends have that same smell, I'm wondering if it has anything to do with their anti fungal agent????  JUST TRY IT  :cheers:

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!

Lonecoyote":4l39dnr8 said:
Nothing wrong with getting into flake that's  broken up a bit. Okay then...now I will HIGHLY recommend McC's 40th Anniversary. It's an excellent smoke now but with a few years of aging I'm willing to bet it will be an outstanding smooth tasty smoke. I was pleasantly surprised when I tried a fresh tin recently. Best if rubbed out more, much more complexity. Yup,  there is that ketchup smell. So many McC blends have that same smell, I'm wondering if it has anything to do with their anti fungal agent????  JUST TRY IT  :cheers:

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!

Yup. Glad you mentioned that Ted. I concur.

Cheers,

RR

Lonecoyote":4ne65j4m said:
Nothing wrong with getting into flake that's  broken up a bit. Okay then...now I will HIGHLY recommend McC's 40th Anniversary. It's an excellent smoke now but with a few years of aging I'm willing to bet it will be an outstanding smooth tasty smoke. I was pleasantly surprised when I tried a fresh tin recently. Best if rubbed out more, much more complexity. Yup,  there is that ketchup smell. So many McC blends have that same smell, I'm wondering if it has anything to do with their anti fungal agent????  JUST TRY IT  :cheers:

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!
It's the Ketchup man, we all know that !! It's the best anti-fungal made ! Ya never see fungus on a ketchup bottle do ya ? :twisted: :twisted:

monbla256 ":iyhxxgrt said:
It's the Ketchup man, we all know that !! It's the best anti-fungal made ! Ya never see fungus on a ketchup bottle do ya ?
Oh, I figured it was the anti fungal agent. However in some McC's I do and so do other pipe smokers sometimes pick up that slight hint of vinegar towards the end of the bowl.

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!