What pipe tobacco did you discover in 2020?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paul_of_Burley

Reaction score
As pipe smokers, we are often rather open and curious of blends that are new to us.

Historically, I have always loved Burley based tobaccos. However upon returning to smoking pipes again this year, the one that did it for me is G.L. Pease Montgomery. I've tried many Virginia tobaccos over the past few months however, this one has captivated me.

With this in mind, as we approach the end of the year, what pipe tobacco or blend did you discover in 2020 that really hit the spot for you?

You read my mind. I've finished trying new blends for the year so I was just updating my favorites list and the blends that I keep in a prominent place on my shelf.

The best three were home blends:
1. RSteve: Full English
2. BriarPipeNYC; "Benediction"
3. Brunello: "Bear Claw"

The best three commercial offerings for 2020:
1. Country Squire Rivendell (only new aromatic favorite I've added in years)
2. C&D Stratfordshire
3. Wilke Sailor Jack

Several that nearly made the list: Figgy Pudding, Sillem's Commodore Flake, Pegasus

Eager to see what other piper's have enjoyed in this crazy year! :)

I played with blending all year and the years before. It's been fun. I'm happy with my latest English blend.
But, new to me was this from Lane Ltd:
cre-tp-1000.png
Andullo was announced as a very limited one time release, but there must have been significant demand because I'm seeing it in stock at several vendors.

Looking over at tobaccoreviews.com, I see I tried just 17 new (or at least new to me) blends this year. Some were new (the warped series, Rustica, C&D's Dark Flake), and I didn't dislike any. The one that stood out was one I had bought some 7 or 8 years ago and never got around to trying (I have others that fit into that category...maybe next year!), GL Pease's Jackknife Plug.

...I tried just 17 new (or at least new to me) blends this year.
I got a chuckle out of "just 17."
I think 17 is a lot. I don't think I smoked 17 different blends from 1963 to 1993. I confess that I did smoke MacBarens Virginia #1 exclusively for at least 20 years.

I got a chuckle out of "just 17."
I think 17 is a lot. I don't think I smoked 17 different blends from 1963 to 1993. I confess that I did smoke MacBarens Virginia #1 exclusively for at least 20 years.
Yeah, when I returned to the pipe ten years ago, I decided I would try as many as I reasonably could (I would bet in my first phase -'76-mid-90s- about 60% of what I smoked was regular Captain Black, and 1/2 of the rest was CB Royal, Gold, and CB drugstore knockoffs). So, on the one hand, yeah, I've reviewed 302 tobaccos; on the other hand, the amazing Jim Inks currently has 2682!

I'd like to see a BoB poll someday of how many are content to stick with one or two blends and how many like to experiment and try new things. In terms of interest on the forum there's certainly more excitement in sharing new discoveries than saying you are happy to smoke the same thing for 20 years. I think it must be a fundamental difference in personality types. Since I'm of the "try new things" persuasion I wonder if those who stick with just a few blends (and perhaps they are the "silent majority") compensate by focusing on pipes? A different pipe for every day of the week, a pipe to go formal, a pipe to go with jeans, one for the boat, one for the outhouse? Endless fodder for discussion on BoB. ;)

I'd like to see a BoB poll someday of how many are content to stick with one or two blends and how many like to experiment and try new things. In terms of interest on the forum there's certainly more excitement in sharing new discoveries than saying you are happy to smoke the same thing for 20 years. I think it must be a fundamental difference in personality types. Since I'm of the "try new things" persuasion I wonder if those who stick with just a few blends (and perhaps they are the "silent majority") compensate by focusing on pipes? A different pipe for every day of the week, a pipe to go formal, a pipe to go with jeans, one for the boat, one for the outhouse? Endless fodder for discussion on BoB. ;)
You could be right. I have to smoke out doors, and where I live seems to be windier and windier each year. Therefore, except on the rare calm days, I have to mostly smoke cobs (and on some days meers) otherwise I'm sure I'd have way too many burnouts.

I've tried quite a few tobaccos in 2020, and the two that stand out to me are C&D Black Frigate and Drucquer & Sons Inns of Court. I have a lot of tobaccos that I have not tried yet. They are just sitting in the cellar waiting for their tops to be popped, and maybe some day I will try them. Right now I am content to smoke three, Carter Hall, Butternut Burley, and Nutty Irishman. The others I smoke occasionally, are just icing on the cake.

I've tried quite a few tobaccos in 2020, and the two that stand out to me are C&D Black Frigate and Drucquer & Sons Inns of Court. I have a lot of tobaccos that I have not tried yet. They are just sitting in the cellar waiting for their tops to be popped, and maybe some day I will try them. Right now I am content to smoke three, Carter Hall, Butternut Burley, and Nutty Irishman. The others I smoke occasionally, are just icing on the cake.
Love the Black Frigate. I guess that's your icing on the cake! Haven't tried Inns of Court.

Three of the top of my head:
Watch City Slice (dang wonderful Burley!!),
GLP's Embarcadero (nice Oriental, no Latweed),
GLPs Regents Flake (Embarcadero on steroids!). FTRPLT

This is a bit tangential, but maybe of interest . . .

With this year's Black Friday orders I finally completed trying products from all the small producers who do their own blending (not renamed Sutliff product) and usually find at least one blend that I like. But I realize that most have their own recognizable house style because they are using the same three or four casing formulas for all their different creations. My discovery for this year was that of all these small producers Wilke seems to to hit the spot for me, at least for non-aromatics and semi-aromatics. For aromatics my favorite, hands down, is Country Squire. I rarely reach for an aromatic so the mere fact that they have aromatic blends that I can't wait to load up is a major victory.

Definitely Warped's Kings Stride and especially The Red Hunt. They're superb. I'm not sure if the first batch came out in 2020, but C&D's small batch Sun Bear REALLY made ny top 5 lifetime tobaks. Just love this outstanding blend. As an aside, Black Frigate and Inns of Court have been staples in my smoking for quite awhile now, just love 'em.

Tried quite a few new blends this year. Bought several more that are in the cellar awaiting an opportunity. I love english/Balkans but haven't hit the "sweet spot " on one yet. The two that did pop my cork were sutliff black cordial and Hobbits Weed, thanks to Brunello. Just got a pound to cellar and it is now in my regular rotation. Can't wait to try the Rivende.

Like some here I am not a one blend type of person. In the last couple of years since being retired I have been smoking my pipes a lot more (two to three bowls a day compared to two to three bowls a week) and trying a whole bunch of new blends. I'm liking some of P&C's match blends such as their Elizabethan mixture and Field and Stream. Also like some of McBarren's bulk blends such as Seven Seas Royal and Scottish blend. For 2021 I think I will start tapping into my pipe tobacco hutch and crack open some of the blends that have been aging ten plus years. I also want to start trying some of the Peterson remakes of the Dunhill blends.

For 2021 I think I will start tapping into my pipe tobacco hutch and crack open some of the blends that have been aging ten plus years. I also want to start trying some of the Peterson remakes of the Dunhill blends.

I like your idea of what your plans for 2021 are, but that really deserves its own thread. Why don't you re-post your idea with a title like "Your Pipe and Tobacco Plans for the New Year."

I would certainly respond to that (after some thought) and would be eager to see what others have in mind for the year. :)

I've become exclusively a Balkan/English smoker who prefers blends with 50% latakia. Most blends that I'm now smoking only really vary in the ratio of orientals, Virginia (red and stoved), dark fired, and cavendish. Aromatics have no appeal and I have none.

I revisited GLP Stonehenge Flake again this year and was surprised to find my tastes had changed. I found it quite pleasing, despite my recollection of being put off by the Lakeland essence when I experienced the rerelease back in 2017. Perhaps the time in the tin helped as well. I enjoyed it so much that I ordered another 5 tins for the cellar. Another one that I got to this year and enjoyed is G&H Bob's Chocolate Flake. I had a tin from 2003 which I picked up from Pipestud and cracked after the blend had been the topic of conversation among a group of pipe smokers I chat with regularly. I found the topping to be a nice compliment to the tobacco, and the Lakeland essence was not overwhelming. It definitely exceeded my expectations. Finally, I am smitten with the new bulk offering from Erik Stokkebye: 4th Generation Evening Flake. It is not a "blow your hair back" type of blend, but I find it very pleasant, approachable, and consistent (though one-dimensional). It is a VA with a light touch of Perique, and I'm happy to find a bulk that I enjoy so much. I think it will also cellar nicely. Anyway...I picked up 4 lbs. so I should be good for a little while.