What shapes do you dislike the most?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Muddler

Reaction score
For me, it's pokers & freehands. And FWIW, anything not made from briar.

Aesthetically dublins, oom pauls and most freehands don't do much for me. Maybe I'll get over my prejudice with time.

And Natch... you should warn before posting that sort of thing man. I was just about to have lunch. :p

Natch":4oor2gih said:
This particular shape doesn't do much for me.

Natch
That's hot.

Mostly the typical shapeless freehands aren't really my thing, although I do love plateau rims when they are on the right pipe. Oom pauls and cavaliers are a little weird. Also the "bridge" type shape. Super tall stacked billiards annoy me.

Shapeless free hands
Most bents esp the Hungarian

Most of my collection consists of Dublins and Billiards

I don't enjoy square panels, cutty pipes, and the little prince pipes.

Freehands and anything non-symmetrical, oh and bulldogs / rhodesians with saddle bits (although love them with a well-fitted taper bit); actually come to think of it, just about any pipe shape fitted with a saddle bit tends to bother me. As a recent micro poll seems to indicate, that should mean more pipes available for me since I'm not chasing after the more popular saddle bit fitted ones!:

https://www.brothersofbriar.com/ye-olde-pipe-rack-f3/what-is-your-favorite-stem-shape-t8993.htm

Absolutely hate freehands. Not particularly fond of bulldogs or rhodesians, yet, I have two that are a couple of my favorite pipes. I just smoke with my eyes closed.

:farao:

I'm not familiar with some of the shapes named here so I looked them up. I think I found everything but the bridge pipe. Can someone post a pic?

Square panels, horns, hawkbills and banjos,,,most bridges look clunky to me,,,,I can't get into huge elaborate carved dragon and elephant meers.

Post-1960 ones as a rule. And nearly anything Charitan before that except for their classic shape chart ones.

Hold the Flying Eskimo Foot, please. And the Ukelele Saucer too . . .

:face:

"Hold the Flying Eskimo Foot", now there is a great phrase/concept! A special request at a cannibal restaurant? Or position #492 in the Arctic Book of Sexual Positions perhaps? An early form of bungee jumping, before the bungee was invented?

Yak, you've got me thinking now, and I think I need another bourbon.

:drunken:

Natch

Actually, PeeBee coined that one a while ago (in the course of a discussion of modern shapes that left at least one noteworthy collector of them very put out). (He's a nice guy, too. A shame. Don't think he's ever been back).

I just remembered it.

:face:

My dislikes, too, are canted pipes and freehands. I've tried to like canted pipes because there are some attractive shapes that I would like to have, but I just can't smoke a pipe like that.