What -should- I be smoking right now?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rikeshar

Reaction score
I come to you this evening, Brothers, with a request. As a novice to this gentle art I find myself bewildered and lost in the myriad choices of tobacco presented to me. Therefore I submit myself to your suggestions, as ones more knowledgeable than I, on blends that I should try.

Okay, enough of the fancy talk! I'm looking to order three tins this Friday, and I'm not sure what I want to try. I know that one of them is going to be Escudo, since I've heard nothing but good about it, and want benchmark tobacco to judge other va/pers by. I'd like to try McClleland Beacon Extra, but when I checked last night on pipesandcigars.com they were out stock.

I don't think that I'm a big fan of Latakia just yet, and I know my wife isn't of the smell, but I'm not averse to blends with a well balanced amount.

So far my favorite two blends that I've tried have been SG 1792 Flake and SPC Mississippi River (I do have some FVF at home, but I think I'll let that one age a bit, maybe I should get another tin of it to try it young?)

Anyways, what blends do you feel are "must try" blends for someone looking to find their niche?

more FVF, so you can smoke some young as you say.
Then , when you do smoke fvf aged.. youll taste the difference.
If you can find it, get it ,

vapers huh ? have you tried Peter stokkebyes Luxory bullseye flake, ? or C&D 's Exhausted Rooster? or G.L.Pease 's Fillmore ? You have to try one of them if you like vap[ers

I haven't tried any yet. The reason I was thinking the Beacon Extra was that it is supposed to contain fair amount of perique, so I'd be able to tell what it tasted like.

I was thinking maybe C&D Bayou Morning also as an example of a VaPer.

If you are looking for a decent VA-Per, I can recommend GLP Haddo's Delight. It is a strong tobac but if you like 1792 this will fit right in. It has a great tin aroma and smokes just as good. It's a classic.

Scott

Beacon's Extra would be a good VaPer to start with. You can't really go wrong with just about ANY McClellands blend. One you might want to try for a good sweet yet solid Va style would be some McC's Fragrant Matured #2000, it's sold in bulk, is VERY affordable and has a nice aroma the wife will probably like. It is a Va blend/mixture and as such needs to be smoked slowly, but most 'bacs should be really to get all the flavors, but is a nice intro into the "straight" VA world. :p

Rikeshar":0il40tgc said:
I haven't tried any yet. The reason I was thinking the Beacon Extra was that it is supposed to contain fair amount of perique, so I'd be able to tell what it tasted like.

I was thinking maybe C&D Bayou Morning also as an example of a VaPer.
Bayou Morning is my go-to VaPer; love the stuff. Good value too in bulk.

I recommend a dose of McCranies Red flake or Red ribbon. Really good stuff.
www.mccranies.com

Stokkebye Luxury Navy Flake, S. Gawith St. James Flake or Renier's Long Golden Flake.

Thanks for all the suggestions! What I ended up getting was the Escudo Navy Flake, another tin of FVF so I can compare the aged with it once I finally open it, and then for my third I went with Hearth and Home Magnum Opus. From what I've read about it, the shifting flavours seem pretty interesting.

The GLP Haddo's Delight really piqued my interest too, so that might be the starting point for my next order.

Cheers!