What should I smoke in this new pipe?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tombstone Smoker

Reaction score
Just bought a Chacom Jurassic Poker 155 and looking for some global thoughts as to what to smoke in it. I suppose my general thinking is to break ir in with a predictable, Burley-based blend. But I have never owned a pipe of this brand, shape or type.

To me, this looks like it would be best suited to VAs, but I would love to hear some thoughts from the brothers on what might be a good match for it, or at least a starting point.

I have a good cellar of pretty much every genre, but I'm always looking for thoughts, ideas and inspiration - especially if someone has experience with this model or a briar of comparable style and bowl dimensions.

Thanks all and have a great night 🪦

Attachments

• produit-1491-1465901628.jpg
    produit-1491-1465901628.jpg
    119 KB · Views: 1
I generally break pipes in with what I intend to smoke in them, if the tobacco doesn't agree with the pipe it's at least obvious from the start.

If that's the case I'll try another type of tobacco, in fact a pipe I commissioned especially to smoke Virginias in, bit like nothing else with Escudo and 5100 but purrs like a well fed cat on any Latakia blend.

I would base my choices based on the dimensions of the pipe. If it is a standard group 5, most blends do well. If it is bigger then maybe an English blend. A group 5 is one of my favorite sizes for flakes or plugs.
When I buy a pipe, I make sure the dimensions are perfect for smoking flakes. I don't care how pretty pipe is but if the chamber depth is like 1.2 I pass. It the bowl height is less than 1.85, I pass. If the pipe weighs 40-58 grams or so it is in the running. If the stem is not a hand cut high quality German vulcanite with the right shape, that is a no go. I like an inside bowl width to be 13-16 best followed by .75 or 7/8. I like my pipes at least 5 inches long but no longer than 6.5 and I only have a few of those.

Once all these criteria are met I then break in every pipe with a Virginia Flake. If I think it might make a better Vaper or Vabur I will test them out and see if I get one of the magical combos I have come across over the years.

I confess a liking toward Carter Hall as break-in tobacco. Absolutely nothing more than a personal choice; nothing scientific to support my position!!! FTRPLT