What tea did you have this morning...or afternoon?

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

Blackhorse

Trading Post Moderator
Staff member
B of B Supporter
Council Member
Reaction score
Finally got around to this…Darjeeling-Ceylon Iced Tea Blend. Upton Teas designed this one specifically for iced tea.

From Upton: “Half whole-leaf Darjeeling and half OP Ceylon. A great hot tea as well! The brewing information provided is for hot tea preparation. For making a concentrate for iced tea, we recommend doubling the amount of tea noted in the general brewing directions…2.25 g./6 oz. cup…212F. for 2-3min.”

From me: My kitchen looked like a chemistry lab with beakers, flasks, filters, bubbling vats of colored liquid, etc. I had to use a deep sauce pan into which I set my two large infusers side by side, each with 10 tsp. of the tea. I heated 1 1/2 L of fresh cold water to a rapid boil and slowly poured it over the two infusers. Timer set to 3 minutes. When done I set the pan onto a wire rack to aid in cooling and added 2 Tbsp. of raw honey. That should just take the edge off. When it has cooled I’ll pour it into a four quart pitcher and set that into the fridge to chill.

C0054958-21F8-4A47-A02F-856B5FDF9415.png

GtrSmoker

Reaction score
Finally got around to this…Darjeeling-Ceylon Iced Tea Blend. Upton Teas designed this one specifically for iced tea.

From Upton: “Half whole-leaf Darjeeling and half OP Ceylon. A great hot tea as well! The brewing information provided is for hot tea preparation. For making a concentrate for iced tea, we recommend doubling the amount of tea noted in the general brewing directions…2.25 g./6 oz. cup…212F. for 2-3min.”

From me: My kitchen looked like a chemistry lab with beakers, flasks, filters, bubbling vats of colored liquid, etc. I had to use a deep sauce pan into which I set my two large infusers side by side, each with 10 tsp. of the tea. I heated 1 1/2 L of fresh cold water to a rapid boil and slowly poured it over the two infusers. Timer set to 3 minutes. When done I set the pan onto a wire rack to aid in cooling and added 2 Tbsp. of raw honey. That should just take the edge off. When it has cooled I’ll pour it into a four quart pitcher and set that into the fridge to chill.

View attachment 1680
I want to sit on your porch, sipping this iced tea and smoking pipes. But only if you have rocking chairs.

Or at least gliders.

What am I saying? I don’t even HAVE a porch. Apartment dweller here.

Blackhorse

Trading Post Moderator
Staff member
B of B Supporter
Council Member
Reaction score
The iced tea turned out very well. Right between Ceylon & Darjeeling with the character of each readily identifiable. A touch more sweetener wouldn’t hurt it but it’s very refreshing just like it is. I’d forgotten how much condensation you can get from a glass full of iced something. Anyway…I’m going to count this one as a win.

Blackhorse

Trading Post Moderator
Staff member
B of B Supporter
Council Member
Reaction score
OMG!!! After a long morning out in the heat, lugging stuff here and there, I stumbled home and into air conditioned bliss. Five ice cubes and a tall glass of the iced tea I made a day or so ago. After three big gulps it struck me…THIS IS THE BEST THING I’VE EVER SWILLED DOWN EVER IN MY WHOLE LIFE! Talk about something hitting the spot. Well, today the spot was pretty big but the iced tea sure tasted perfect to me.

D.L.Ruth

Reaction score
OMG!!! After a long morning out in the heat, lugging stuff here and there, I stumbled home and into air conditioned bliss. Five ice cubes and a tall glass of the iced tea I made a day or so ago. After three big gulps it struck me…THIS IS THE BEST THING I’VE EVER SWILLED DOWN EVER IN MY WHOLE LIFE! Talk about something hitting the spot. Well, today the spot was pretty big but the iced tea sure tasted perfect to me.
I love a big glass of iced tea, man I gotta make some

Blackhorse

Trading Post Moderator
Staff member
B of B Supporter
Council Member
Reaction score
Been enjoying mostly the Upton Tea blends like Richmond Park, River Shannon, Robert Fortune & Scottish Breakfast. But today I cracked open my tin of “Columbian Breakfast Blend”. I’d forgotten just how good it is. It continues to amaze me that the teas they have from Columbia are so remarkable. According to the vivid imagination of the marketing minds at Upton…”Colombian black teas have a distinctly rich, cocoa-like character that reflects their unique terroir: lush, equatorial hillsides drenched in misty rain, followed by copious bright sunshine, and enlivened in all directions by every type of wildlife imaginable.” Not sure how the vast array of animal life would affect the tea but what the heck, it sounds very dynamic…or something. Great teas though.

D.L.Ruth

Reaction score
Just received an order from teadog, some Barry's Gold Blend and Taylor's of Harrogate Earl Grey. Both loose leaf, glad I have some extra tobacco jars.
20210909_180652.jpg

D.L.Ruth

Reaction score
Had a pot of Taylor's Earl Grey, great stuff. He up drinking Earl Grey so brings back childhood memories every time I have it.