What tea did you have this morning...or afternoon?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blackhorse

Trading Post Moderator
Staff member
B of B Supporter
Council Member
Reaction score
A new thing here? I didn’t check. Thought it would be fun though. Photos would be cool too...either your morning set-up or just a stock pic of the package.

So...this morning:

Yorkshire Red (Taylors of Harrowgate)

C240DEDF-FEFD-4212-A3DA-A201143AA8CC.jpeg

Tea Time. With Barry’s Tea - Gold Blend. With a plain bagel toasted - with salted organic butter and raw Sage Honey. Ahhhhh.

Barry’s is the second most popular tea in Ireland, where more tea is consumed per capita than any other country. The tea is blended and packaged in Cork, Ireland. Really a proper & delightful cup of tea.

1A5CF932-6030-484F-9E52-888E308C1DCF.jpeg

Found a couple of Tazo English breakfast in the tea bag jar. Ok with milk and sugar but not very malty. This afternoon I also had a cup of Twinings Irish Breakfast Tea with some milk and sugar. Not bad. I have to get some of the Yorkshire red I guess to go with the gold as I like the malty flavor.

Let us know what you think of the Yorkshire Gold.

Note: There’s this whole big THING about some UK teas being re-blended for the USA market. So you’re getting a weak sister version of the real thing. Fingers are pointed, voices are raised. Maybe true, maybe sour grapes by trolling buyers. Be that whole thing as it may, I’ve started doing my tea shopping mostly via Teadogs online. They say all their teas come direct from the UK and are the identical blends that are sold there. One thing for sure, watch the “best by” date stamp on the box. ALL teas from the UK have it. Sometimes it looks a bit odd cause they often do the date numbers in a different order than we’re used to. And Teadogs posts the specific date stamp info on everything they offer...and guarantee it.

Out of 8 recent UK tea purchases split between teadogs and Amazon all the best by dates are one to two years out. I just like knowing in advance.

Check ‘em out: teadog.com - Tea from Tea Companies Across the World

I always drink Dilmah tea ever since the bean counters took over at Twinings and their quality nose dived.

Normally it'll be their Earl Grey tea, but I drink their standard black tea as well to switch things up.

If I need a caffeine hit I'll put a bag of earl grey and one of the black tea in the same mug and let it brew for a good ten minutes. Yummy stuff.

The Dilmah earl grey very much reminds me of the Twinings earl grey before it turned to :poop:

Dilmah EG.jpg

Nothing special here!! The red tea pot was a gift from our English relatives as were several of the accessories. The teas came from one of our large Asian grocery stores here in OKC! "SHWBO" enjoys Constant Comment and English Teatime at work; otherwise we do loose tea at home. I'm going to pickup some other English teas (Yorkshire, Irish, Scottish, etc.) from some of the suggested sites! Thanx for the info!! FTRPLT

Attachments

• IMG_1192[1].JPG
    IMG_1192[1].JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 101
  • IMG_1194[1].JPG
    IMG_1194[1].JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 98
  • IMG_1191[1].JPG
    IMG_1191[1].JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 109
  • IMG_1190[1].JPG
    IMG_1190[1].JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 101
After lunch cuppa...

Becoming very fond of the Barry’s lineup. The items offered on Amazon and at Teadogs are very well priced. Barry’s big competition in Ireland (Lyons) is quite a bit more costly. So for Irish I’m happy with the Barry’s/Thompson’s one-two puch.

Sidebar: the Barry’s vs Lyons controversy in Ireland is a hot issue (pun intended). One of those ‘man the barricades” kinda things. Their ads are funny too. Well, some of ‘em anyway.
39202E27-AB67-46E9-9712-94D0D8FD12D1.jpeg

Yep, 100% Sri Lankan tea.

Their green jasmine tea is nice for a evening cuppa.

If your into the Yorkshire style teas, I'd suggest their extra strong black tea, it should put hairs on your chest.

Their English Breakfast is nice, but I prefer their Earl Grey. I need to work my way through the range that they have to be honest. Haven't had a bad one yet.

Barry’s Gold. Sturdy yet smooth. Worthy of its cult following.

A4D4640E-2D05-4FE6-8ADB-02183505EC58.jpeg

Note: Looking at the range of Dilmah teas. Lots to look at. It looks like they offer several varieties of Earl Grey. And yes, the Extra Strength looks inviting. Some ship from Sri Lanka, some from USA warehouses. Some premium, some regular. Many comments about poor packaging in “padded envelopes” that end up with the box crushed or squashed flat. I have a box of Glengetti Gold (Welsh) on the way so I’ll likely wait til that arrives.

Oh heck. I went ahead and popped a big seven bucks for a box of 25 individually foil wrapped bags. I know they’re expensive compared to the regular box of 50 but they do stay fresher for longer...important when it’s a tea that has a somewhat volatile flavoring agent, There was also a super premium line...but these will be an OK start.

F401EA4A-5B81-4CF5-B1C9-CF59C8F829CB.jpeg

I'm sure you won't be dissapointed sir, the foil wrapped are indeed extra nice but I go through a box of 50 in a week or so, so am not too worried about flavours dissapating.