What to Feed a Wide Mouth Bowl

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smoker13

B of B Supporter
Reaction score
I recently got caught up in what seems tobe a current wave of popularity for the Savinelli 320 KS (Author), so I ordered one tonight with a fairly deep chamber (for that type of pipe - 1.41) and a wide mouth (which is usual - .93)

Just wondering if any of the Brothers with a 320 KS (or a pot, etc) have found a particularly successful blend for such a wide mouth and would care to share.

Nearly all of my pipes are narrow or at least significantly narrower than such a dimension.

As always, any help is greatly appreciated/

S13

The prevailing opinion is that the wide shallow chamber is best for complex blends. So the "English" Latakia perique blends are recommended. But, I have seen some that like Virginia blends in the 320, prince and pot shapes. Soooo YMMV

Enjoy 8)

Loneredtree is correct, as far as I've learned. Not always Latakia blends, but complex blends sing to me in those chamber sizes. Some Aromatic stuff seems to work well too.

Hey S13,

The 320 is a recent addition to my stable so I'm still experimenting with blends.

What I have noticed though is that due to its capacity to hold more baccy, some of the blends which didn't previously give a nic hit in a smaller bowl are now delivering one due to the extended smoking time. Something for you to perhaps factor in.

What a great pipe though!

Try rolling up some flake tobacco (Stokkebye Luxury Twist flake or Navy flake, for example, nothing too strong) and dont try to pack the bowl too full. Just ease a nice plug of loosely wadded up flake (not too tight) into the chamber and smoke it nice and slow, just keep her smoldering. You’ll get a nice long cool smoke. I think a lot of people have trouble with big bores because they stuff it with ribbon cut tobacco and try to whuff it up and draw out great volumes of smoke. This just makes for a hot smoke, and a hot smoke is not a flavorful smoke. Flakes smoked in a pot (or any wide shallowish chamber) kinda goes against the grain of common practice here in the modern piping community, but the Danes were doing it a long time ago with their flake pans and, imho, they knew what they were doing.

I enjoy my cube cut burleys and flakes in my 320. But, I suppose you could smoke almost any type of tobacco in a larger bowl and enjoy it!

You know the old saying, "smoke what you like, like what you smoke!" :D

I have three. One is for virginia/burley; one is for cherry aromatics; the third is for a blend that is discontinued and that I am nearly out of. Not sure what will be the new tenant.

Experiment with fine cuts and rough flakes.

I understand the issue. I have a pipe with a one inch diameter bowl and thus far it is defeating me. 7/8s inch is no issue; bit a full inch is a problem. Go figure...

Well, I'll tell ya...….I gave this some SERIOUS thought and came up with what I assumed was an AHA! moment; L. J. Peretti's Cuban Blend. A very complex blend, right? My thinking was that all the various flavors would get a chance to poke through and sing in my 320 KS.

So, I decided to christen the pipe with this tobak. To wit: BIG mistake. Couldn't even get the whole surface burning, yet there was PLENTY of smoke being generated, maybe even too much. Flavor? I couldn't taste a damn thing! In fact, no matter how long I wrestled with it I just had to send up the white flag before a third of it was gone because I just couldn't take it.

So now what...…..AHA! I recalled a Jim Inks review Of HH Burley Flake recommending a wide bowl. I double checked on the hopefully not soon to be defunct tobaccoreviews.com and yep, that is what he indeed advised. I'd been smoking this in a Savinelli Bordeaux spigot pot, but I always felt like I was missing out.

I stuffed a couple flakes into the Author and VOILA! I was rewarded with a smooth, cool, flavorful and L O N G smoke. What joy! The hidden rewards of this mkagnificent tobak came singing through in this pipe, and won me over completely.

Since I was on a flake roll I stuffed 3 or 4 or 5 ESCUDO coins into it this morning and again was rewarded with the coolest smoke I can remember being generated by this Navy Deluxe blend.

This all brings me back to Puff Daddy's advice to go with flakes, and to not rub 'em out too much, but rather just twist 'em, and stuff 'em, keeping the original integrity of the flake itself. I'm a convert.

From now on, this 320 KS, and any other(s) I might happen to purchase, will be dedicated to flake tobaccos. I should mention that I just love flakes anyway, but smoking them in this wide bowl really opens them up to hitherto uncharted areas on the flavor map.

Oh, and I'll close with the obvious; I LOVE this chubby little fellow!