What to smoke with that first cup of coffee?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Corncobcon

B of B Supporter
Reaction score
I usually don't smoke with my first cup early in the morning, but, some days I can't help it. Usually it's not until about 10am before
I light up my first bowl of the day. It's usually Carter Hall, but since that will soon go away, I'm looking for something else to smoke in
the mornings.
I'm just wondering what you all smoke in the mornings. I know everyone's tastes are different, but maybe there's something I haven't
tried that would work for me. Something nutty, and not too fruity or strong. Not much vitamin N either!

I lean toward Burley in the mornings with a slight bend toward Ginnyweeds! CH & PA are options plus MacB's Golden Extra, Watch City Slices, Bob's Choc. Flake, Aged Burley Flake, and Orlik Golden Sliced come readily to mind!!! FWIW FTRPLT

Attachments

• IMG_1227[1].JPG
    IMG_1227[1].JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 116
Same here. Try the Country Squire blends. I really like Rivendell, choctaw, and cowboy coffee. Also, I make my own blend I call urban cowboy, roughly 60% SWR, 30% black cavendish, 10% McB old dark fired. Real similar to cowboy coffee.

To actually pair with coffee I like some a little nutty and mellow, nothing to bring out any bitterness in the coffee. Cowboy Coffee for sure, Urban Cowboy, or variations of mild Burley and some black Cavendish. I'd be surprised if anybody says they like a Va-Per with coffee, but then again, maybe with a light roast with some acidity?

I don't really have a set "morning" tobacco. Just what ever seems to strike my fancy that particular day. But I do always have a pipe of something with my coffee on my way to work at about 0500

A page in the life of the elderly.
1. Get out of bed
2. Water one of the upstairs commodes
3. Go in kitchen...4 coffee scoops of freshly ground coffee for one 14 oz cup of coffee
4. Fill Mark Twain or Dagner cob with my own 40+% latakia English blend
5. Retreat with coffee, pipe, magazine, and cellphone to bathroom in the laundry/mud room
6. Sit, drink coffee, smoke pipe, read, text my daughters that I'm alive and do whatever else is necessary
7. Hope this all wasn't a dream and I have a mess to clean up

I loved me some Chelsea Morning of a morning back when I used to smoke far more often. A nice light Latakia blend. Odd this pandemic, I only smoke a bowl a day now even though I could do so more often.

With a light to medium roast coffee, you can’t go wrong with an OTC type tobacco like Carter Hall or SWR. Otherwise burley works with almost any coffee, but does particularly well with Colombian blends.

Being a dark roast coffee fan, I like a strong tobacco with my morning cup, like Gawith Hoggarth Dark Flake unscented, or if I don’t want a total butt kicker, something like MacBaren Old Dark Fired.

Coffee and tobacco were made for one another, so it’s hard to find a bad pairing. However, with some experimenting I’ve definitely found some EPIC pairings that really stand out. I’d say the best I’ve had recently is Solani Aged Burley Flake with Colombian peaberry. There is just a lot of chocolate and nutty notes in both that really complement one another!

I am usually up 2 hours or so before breakfast. That first smoke with coffee is almost always Picayune. Since Picayune is no longer in production, I will have to change this routine when I run out.

I, like others will find myself smoking what I usually don’t smoke the rest of the day. Maybe some Haunted Bookshop or The Haunting by Warped. I also love something a bit sweet. So Boswell’s Northwoods, Pembroke, EMP or Eso Dorchester is common for me. Any aged Virginia. Escudo works too. Today, I went with Haunted Bookshop. Bowl 1 of 5 or 6. :)

For me it has to be Charatan First Bowl.
It was produced to replace part of the Dunhill range, which as you probably know was discontinued.
Although it's not an exact copy of the original Dunhill, I love it, and will smoke it long after that first cup of coffee, but in my case, being English. The first pot of tea 🍵

Attachments

• 500x500_P1250848.jpeg
    500x500_P1250848.jpeg
    52.6 KB · Views: 3
Burley and Granger is what comes to mind mostly and in practice now. I've got my TAD (self diagnosed) sights set on Burley Morning Pipe from Ken Byron Ventures. Since it's about 3 x the cost per ounce than Granger, this might be the weekend coffee blend.

OK so I've looked and perused and considering the sweltering heat, that the UK is suffering right now. I settled on Gawith American peach, and the rotated pipe of choice ? Well also considering it would give me an even cooler smoke. Was the Peterson Dublin Churchwarden.
Life's good

I usually don't smoke with my first cup early in the morning, but, some days I can't help it. Usually it's not until about 10am before
I light up my first bowl of the day. It's usually Carter Hall, but since that will soon go away, I'm looking for something else to smoke in
the mornings.
I'm just wondering what you all smoke in the mornings. I know everyone's tastes are different, but maybe there's something I haven't
tried that would work for me. Something nutty, and not too fruity or strong. Not much vitamin N either!
Country Squire Cowboy Coffee in a cob, HH ODF, PS41 Cube Cut, or Storm Front - typically contingent on the weather, and how early I wake up, or what's happening after.

the mornings.
From the banks of the Athabasca River, in the Canadian Rockies, I present The Country Squire's excellent Cowboy Coffee, in well-cooked MM custom Diplomat cutty-cant cob, hand-carved tamper, with camping cup of high-density Columbian, Himalayan pink salt, and organic coconut cream.

2 weeks of Rocky Mountain cob smoking.
That's how I spent my summer vacation.

Amen 🔥

Attachments

• 20220802_080943.jpg
    20220802_080943.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • 20220804_065901.jpg
    20220804_065901.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
From the banks of the Athabasca River, in the Canadian Rockies, I present The Country Squire's excellent Cowboy Coffee, in well-cooked MM custom Diplomat Cutty cob, hand-carved tamper, with camping cup of high-density Columbian, Himalayan pink salt, and organic coconut cream.

Amen 🔥
Awesome 👌

From the banks of the Athabasca River, in the Canadian Rockies, I present The Country Squire's excellent Cowboy Coffee, in well-cooked MM custom Diplomat Cutty cob, hand-carved tamper, with camping cup of high-density Columbian, Himalayan pink salt, and organic coconut cream.

Amen 🔥
Nice, and I do that too when without my metal tamper-carve one with my pocket knife.