what TV are you watching?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zeno Marx

Reaction score
I grew up in a time of movie superiority and the event of going to the movies. They were special, but now that I am drawn to story and character development, I prefer the TV series. If it's good, I prefer that prolonged relationship with the material. I'd rather spend 10-12 hours with something rather than 2-3 hours.

If you like stories about exploration, big old wooden ships, militaria, etc. If Mutiny on the Bounty, Moby Dick, Master and Commander: Far Side of the World, and Ernest Shackleton adventures, I have a recommendation for you.

The Terror on AMC. Ridley Scott is one of the executive producers. It's no cheap affair.

We had Winter Storm Xanto hang around all weekend and I watched the first few of Trust on FX and Bosch on Amazon. I didn't really enjoy Trust but I love the Bosch series! :shock:

I know, old thread. But I am currently halfway through The Haunting of Hill House, and it is good. I love horror movies, and this series is great.

When I was in upper grade school or junior high, we had a couple anti-drug school assemblies in the gym where they set up a series of projector screens, creating a panoramic film. It was created in California with surfing, skateboarding, Venice Beach, etc. Then, they'd have a couple of young people who had come out of addiction talking about their experience. I'm this kid growing up in a giant corn field, getting forced to watch all these young people having a blast on beaches, in an interesting Venice bohemian culture, talking about taking LSD, people turning into giant oranges and various other hallucinations. Uh? This was supposed to scare us away from drugs? This film was supposed to make us wary of drugs? I didn't speak to my classmates about it, but to me, it felt like an extension of Fast Times at Ridgemont High, and I loved that movie and dreamed of anything even remotely similar to any of those experiences. I still don't understand how far removed the creators of this anti-drug program must have been from the ways so many kids in America were growing up. Their anti-drug diatribe was a carrot, not a stick. And geez, as far as I knew, drugs weren't a thing in this small farm town. Surely, there were drugs...because they're everywhere...but none of my friends knew about it...until these school assemblies.

I just finished watching the second season of Euphoria. This is some insanely high quality TV making, even if you have no interest in the subject matter or the story. They consistently nail the vibe of whatever they're trying to make you feel. On that level, it is extraordinary. I can't relate to a lot of what they're showing, because again, this is a quasi-California childhood setting. Nevertheless, it sure looks like a whole lot of fun and far different than anything I ever experienced, even when I lived in big cities. This show is dark, but it is also appetizing, at least to me; or rather, to my teenage self it successfully transports me back into feeling. I don't know if I would recommend it, but it is deserving of a lot of the hype surrounding it.

We’ve been binging TV series all during Covid, and have gone through a bunch.

Longmire…cowboy good guys and cowboy bad boys.
*Grimm…spooky monsters vs a cop who is a “Grimm”…filmed in Portland, Oregon (where I live).
*Bosch…Coltrane loving detective doing detective kinds of things.
*Justified…wild hillbilly characters including a US Marshal, crime bosses, hookers, pot growers, etc., etc., etc.
Outer Range…current favorite…modern ranchers doing the Twin Peaks thing.
The Expanse…excellent sci fi space opera stuff with planet based space forces and creepy aliens “things”.
NCIS…oh come on, you know what NCIS is.
Reacher…from Lee Child books…ex army cop on his own on foot solving cases in mostly rural America.
Castle…cops and a writer having fun with murder
Unforgettable…coos and a hottie that remembers EVERYTHING having fun with murder.
The Mentalist…fun quirky cop show.
Elementary…fun modern Holmes & Watson with a twist.

That kind if stuff.

* items = most highly recommended

Been watching old western series, Gunsmoke, Rawhide, Wagon Train, etc. and cop shows, NYPD Blue and Adam 12. Next up, Hill St. Blues.