What type of razor do you use?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use a couple differant soaps and creams. Bigelow seems to be my fav right now. I almost always use a straight razor unless I am in a very big hurry. I use the Gillette fusson.I think I have about 20 or so straights but only 4 that are shave ready right now.

Eggman

BRILLANT

I've been shaving with a brush and soap for years. Just last Christmas my wife got me a Merkur DE...been using it and loving it since. Soap: Colonel Conk Bay Rhum. The brush I have is one I've used for years.

Mike

I usually use a Mach 3 with a heavy handle bought from Crabtree & Evelyn,As far as soap goes I use the art of shaving cream and oils,burt's bees "bay rum" puck soap,lightfoot's pinetar puck soap and geo trumper's stuff in general but especially their "spanish leather" aftershave...

I'd love some advice in buying a vintage razor.

What should I look for?

How much should I prepare to spend?

Best,
Dock
:pipe:

I haven't shaved in twenty years, and I won't for another twenty!!! Ken. :king:
Pacem en Beards! :king:

Hey Dock-why buy vintage?Buy the long handled Merkur,great craftsmanship!I bought the adjustable,wish I'd saved the money,it's on the widest setting anyway!There are old Gilettes on Ebay,but having used them for years,I don't think they can even compare to the Merkur.I think I threw three of them away about ten years ago,no,fifteen...wish I'd saved them now!
I think the Merkur non adjustable is around thirty bucks.
I also have a suspicion you like old stuff for the novelty,too :lol: I'll look around the flea market this weekend,see if they have any old gear.
Tony

Tony Ferrill":m0n5tet7 said:
Hey Dock-why buy vintage?Buy the long handled Merkur,great craftsmanship!I bought the adjustable,wish I'd saved the money,it's on the widest setting anyway!There are old Gilettes on Ebay,but having used them for years,I don't think they can even compare to the Merkur.I think I threw three of them away about ten years ago,no,fifteen...wish I'd saved them now!
I also have a suspicion you like old stuff for the novelty,too :lol: I'll look around the flea market this weekend,see if they have any old gear.
Tony
Excellent advice T.... I'll look into the Merkur as well as some flea's too : )

Best,
Dock

Tony Ferrill":k8sl23xr said:
Tony
T,

Like this one?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Merkur-twin-blade-razor-satin-finish-with-cartridges_W0QQitemZ170182017666QQihZ007QQcategoryZ31764QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Best,
Dock

An old Gillette non adjustable in semi-decent condition should set you back way less than a 20bill. Some of the adjustable rare ones will destroy the bank account. Bro Tony is correct the Merkur is a very good razor, but like you I like the old stuff, just because its old. I'm a big fan of Proraso green shave cream and their Aftershave Balm/Milk/Cream whatever they call it (the white stuff not the clear stuff). Mommabear soap is good stuff, if you cant find a scent you like there heaven help ya, she makes everything under the sun. As for a brush, save your dough and go Badger, if, like me you buy a Boar Brush first you will end up regretting not getting the badger from the get go. I added some good sites in that PM, hopefully they help.

The Merkur he's talking about is here. http://www.classicshaving.com/catalog/item/522941/284064.htm

Dock,
I'll second what PB said. The new gear is good but there is nothing like a 40 year old Gillette. I've got several surplus vintage
Gillette's shoot me a PM if your interested. Here's a pic to give you an idea.

58FatBoy.jpg

I like the weight and feel of the "safety" razors;the cartridge type never felt like a man's tool to me.That is just my opinion and preference-if you prefer the cartridge,I am in no way saying it is unmasculine!But I don't have to push the Merkur around,just the weight of it gives me a perfect shave!
An outfit like Midnight Blues shows or the link Bruthah Puros Bran supplied is the same-substantial machinery.
Tony

On the positive side, I have used a badger brush that was one of my father's for 30+ years. It has to be a/b 50 years old now. As far as razors go, it's either a disposable or Mach 5zillion. The reason for the Mach is that I gave one to my son for Christmas a couple of years ago and paid a fortune for replacements. I do like the shave it gives but don't like the high cost.
When my son was in college, I gave him a badger brush and soap. He was immediately smitten with it and gave one to his best college buddy. Soon most of the guys on his track team @ ND were using badger brushes!
There's nothing better than a quality badger brush IMHO.
Bruce

It is my goal to post a few pics tonight of my shaving gear. How many of y'all might be using dial-up? If it is a few then I will post links to photos rather than having an image laden post that will take forever to load.

If no repsponse, then I'll just post in thread.

showme

The top razor is my x-mas present; the brush, too. The other razors I picked up from the old homestead on trip back. There is a good chance that I actually had my first shave with that razor on the left. I never paid it much attention after I found disposables, then electric, then whatever the newest things to come out were. Now I'm getting back to basics. The box in the center holds the (disassembled) travel razor beneath it. That was given to me by Eggman.

IMGP0026.jpg

showme

(I wish I had cases like Midnight. I'd never seen such cases, though, so I doubt they were even around when I picked up the razors.)

My current favorite razor is an early '60's Fatboy. Combined with a Feather blade and Colonel Conks bar soap whipped into a great lather with one of several badgers, its all gooda :)

I just cracked open my Fusion razor and used it the first time today... it's pretty nifty.

:D Paul

Wow, I didn't even realize there were guys who still used these things! I am impressed. I like "old stuff" as much as the next guy, but I'm sticking with my 4-blade Fusion, and Edge gel :lol: I find enough ways to cut myself without using a straight razor!

It may be sacrilege to say this here, but I have always used electrics.
I cut myself up every time I try the cold steel.
I use a Remington MS5500 and a Braun 7505.

My wife bought me a Dovo straight razor almost ten years ago. I never use anything else unless I'm traveling.