What type of razor do you use?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
These are my tools:

gillette%20mach3%20turbo%20shaving%20cartridges_722.jpg
mb40.jpg

I have 3 Gillette double edged razors:

A Superspeed from the mid 1950's
A "Slim Adjustable" from the early 1960's
A "Fatboy" Adjustable from the mid 1960's.

All of them formerly belonged to my dad.

LtMac

Razors:

- Merkur 34C (aka HD)
- '58 Gillette SuperSpeed
- '40s Gillette SuperSpeed
- '60 Gillette FatBoy Adjustable

Started with the Merkur. Shaves didn't really start coming along until my technique improved. Then I found the right blades for my face. But my moment of clarity was when I purchased and used my first vintage Gillette SS. What a shave! I used to deal with horrible razor burn and ingrown hairs, but not anymore!

For any of you that haven't yet given a safety razor a try, you will never want to see or PAY for those "stupid-examples-of-technology-advancement" cartridges again.

Gillette 1940's Super Speed
British made 1940's SS
Gillette Slim Adjustible
Wilkinson "Sticky" DE
Merkur 11C open Comb
Merkur 39C Slant SledgeHammer

Many years ago, I used a brush and mug that my father gave to me, with the old double-edged adjustable razor. Some years ago, the wife gave me a new badger brush and a teak soap bowl filled with a cake of shaving soap from Crabtree & Evelyn. With soap refills, I've been using it ever since. For a razor, these days I use the Mach 3. It's a rare day when I draw blood, unlike the days of the double-edge.

My dad's old mug and brush? They're still around and get used on the boat in the summer.

I have three DE razors. a Merkur HD, a Merkur Futur, and a lightweight alum Gillette. Oh - and an Electric Razor.

As I live in two places at the moment, one Merkur lives in one house, and the other, in the other. The Gillette is a travel item really - but shaves very well!

The electric doesn't get used much at all.

Alan :pipe:

for me its now my Gellettes and a pack of double edges.. and a good Taylor of old bond street lemon and lime shavin cream i got a few cuthroats but havent had the time to learn how to use em.

Hello All I use a Merkur HD razors, have 2 and love them, just went from Merkur Blades to Feather to try out.

I have to use a straight razor twice a day or this wretched beard just gets way too out of hand!!! :roll:

Irene Adler":d3gcctpo said:
I have to use a straight razor twice a day or this wretched beard just gets way too out of hand!!! :roll:
Just let it grow!

:lol!:

I've got a restored Henckels straight and several DEs. The straight is the best, and I have more coming. Collecting straight razors and quality briars may kill my checkbook! :cry:

Since shaving my beard off three weeks ago I now feel I can post here.
I use an old Gillette that I've had for 15 years with the standard twin blade inserts.

I found BoB via my other main hobby forum, Badger & Blade so I have owned my fair share of razors of all types. I currently primarily use straight razors but still own one Old double edge by Gillette.

Antique Hoosier":w9jzh2rm said:
I found BoB via my other main hobby forum, Badger & Blade so I have owned my fair share of razors of all types. I currently primarily use straight razors but still own one Old double edge by Gillette.
HEY... I know you :lol!:

I haven't seen you over here at BoB before :tongue:

richmondesi":qh0wpn0k said:
Antique Hoosier":qh0wpn0k said:

Dipping my toe into the world of Pipes! I believe it was your link that got me here.... thanks for that. Seems like another great forum to be involved in.

Antique Hoosier":b4a5tk6q said:
richmondesi":b4a5tk6q said:
Antique Hoosier":b4a5tk6q said:

Dipping my toe into the world of Pipes! I believe it was your link that got me here.... thanks for that. Seems like another great forum to be involved in.
You're right Brother... This is a very generous bunch of gents! You'll enjoy this place for sure

for me its a 1947 gillette gold aristocrat or some various old no-name straights, a badger hair brush and williams mug shave soap. it doestnt get much better.

ron

I have a bunch of Gillettes. The prize of my collection though I received today in the mail. A MINT #66 in the case. Not a spot on it. I plan to put it in the rotation with the rest of them. :D