What type of razor do you use?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Braun 8995 Rechargeable Electric. Cleans itself and has been cheaper than any 8 bladed Gillyet Laser Speed Turbo Extreme Razor with 12 exotic moisturizers including oil of owl orifice.

gravel":4bsxbe8j said:
Braun 8995 Rechargeable Electric. Cleans itself and has been cheaper than any 8 bladed Gillyet Laser Speed Turbo Extreme Razor with 12 exotic moisturizers including oil of owl orifice.
razor.png

Growley":xd5dpsnk said:
I've been shaving my head for about 10 years and to me a good razor makes all the difference. I use the Gillette Fusion Pro Glide Power. The power does actually make a difference too. The trouble is it sucks batteries something fierce. I use a litte "Shave Secret" (sounds like a feminine shaving product, but it's not) covered with any generic shave gel. I try to shave it pretty much every day and on a good day I go over it about 3 times. If I'm going to look bald I want to REALLY look bald, no 5 0'Clock shadows here.

I've contemplated spending some cash and getting a good straight razor, but I think I've lost the courage to try.
You should go for it. If you're looking for a closer shave it will give it to you. Beware however, there is a very steep learning curve. You will nick yourself a good number of times, but it's pretty hard to have something severe. Just keep in mind the amount of pressure you need to keep and maintain the right angle and you can avoid all those nicks. Once you've got it down you've got it down. Not to say you'll never nick urself again, but it will b far less frequent.

Edwin-Jagger-De89bl-Double-Edge-Safety-Razor-Chrome-Plated-300x300.jpg

And without shaving cream, or shaving brush (I use just liquid soap) it gives me a better, cleaner shave than mach5. Not to mention that it's infinitely cheaper because disposable razor blade heads didn't last long on my beard, and somehow regular Gillette fares good so far. :)

Currently using a Gilette Fusion along with products from Art of Shaving. I have been using a mug and brush for the better part of thirty years and only used the canned stuff when travelling. That said, the best thing that I ever learned, regardless of what kind of razor you use is to go over your face twice. The first time with the lie of your beard. After that, relather then go over it against the lie. Not only do you avoid 5 o'clock shadow at 1, you don't have to worry about it til about 1 or 2 the next day.

Johnny":j9kx2kol said:
I use an old Gillette adjustable DE razor. I want to say it's from the 60's but I'm not sure. It was a gift from a friend last year. I like it a lot more than the newer multiblade razors and it's a heck of a lot easier on the wallet as far as blades go
Don't forget that Gillette's business model was to sell the razor cheap and make money on the blades. Anybody who owns a fusion sees this working even now.

Still using the Merkur adj. DE razor I got when I went into the Corps along with the red badger brush my father gave me earlier. I like either Wilkenson or Feather blades and have used Williamson shaving soap as my father did since I started shaving. Just plain, simple tools to get the job done :p

I'm using one of those little blue plastic ones. :p

The straight razor interests me, but I'm afraid of what the learning curve would imply. :roll:

MisterE":gvor5ty7 said:
The straight razor interests me, but I'm afraid of what the learning curve would imply. :roll:
Don't worry about it too much. Yes, there is a learning curve. Yes that learning curve means your fair share of nicks, but once you get a feel for it you'll never have a better shave in your life...unless of course there's a master barber using a straight on your face for you! You'd have to be putting real effort into it or you're just plain not paying attention if you actually caused yourself some real harm. Give it a try if you can find yourself a razor cheap enough. If you really do want to get into it I recommend the Dovo Best Quality razor. It's what I've been using for the past 7 months. It's a good razor to learn proper maintenance and technique with and is one of the cheapest nice razors around ($80). While the price may seem steep you'll make that money back up in the amount you spend in new disposables or cartridges. Don't go for anything under $50 as they're usually going to be pretty crappy and won't hold an edge if you can even give it one.

Mind if I jump over to shaving cream/oil for a second? I just have to plug this new stuff I found recently.

I've been shaving my head at least 5 days a week for almost 15 years now. I've tried cream, and oil, and even cream with an oil base, oh and I've tried straight aloe too and have never really found something that was perfect, until recently.

I'll admit, it was the marketing that got me, "Headblade" is the brand. They make this product called Headslick and I love it. It works great for my head and my face. It doesn't lather up, it just makes it very slippery so the razor glides over your skin smoothly. Great stuff!

Their actual Headblade shaver didn't work for me though, not enough flexibility for my liking. You ought to give it a try.

Brian.

Growley":8shj3t6d said:
Their actual Headblade shaver didn't work for me though, not enough flexibility for my liking. You ought to give it a try.

Brian.
I'll have to look into that stuff, although I am rather partial to soap and a badger brush. Go old school or go home!

Gilette Good News, Nivea moisturizing shaving Gel, and the slippery sample bars of soap that come with hotel rooms. Wash my face with the hotel soap, rinse, wash again but do NOT rinse, apply the Nivea, shave. Dry the Good News razor and store blade up lest it oxidizes. Using this method, I can shave every other day, in the shower, in a few minutes and get two months out of each razor, so a package lasts quite a long time.

You'll need to find a place to hide your hotel room soap hoard from the females in your house. I put a couple bars in my sock drawer and put the real stash in my desk drawer with bills to be paid.

I inherited my grandfather's nice German straight razor and leather case, but I don't think I could wield it half asleep in the shower. But I do use his monogrammed shoehorn and clothes brushes.

KevinM":okum8uwo said:
I inherited my grandfather's nice German straight razor and leather case, but I don't think I could wield it half asleep in the shower. But I do use his monogrammed shoehorn and clothes brushes.
Using a straight in the shower is just asking for trouble. Awake or not, one wrong slip and you'll need stitches or a toe sewn back on. Gie that straight a try one morning when you're not in a hurry. Take a hot shower, then go through your method except i would recommend using a shaving soap rather than the gel.