What type of razor do you use?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

showme1or2

Reaction score
Straight, safety, electric?

I began with an old Gillette twist handle. From there I moved to disposables, to electric, and for the past four years or so I've used straight razors. Lately, though, I've fallen back on the good old Mach III. For some reason I just get the best shaves with that.

Now I have fun collecting mugs and trying out new soaps and brushes.

showme

For me its double edge. I mostly use Gillette razors made in 1940-1959. My favorites are Super Speeds and Fatboys (Gillette's first adjustable razor) I also prefer shaving soap and a nice badger brush....

I have an old Gillette Nineteen o something or ruther (I think we dated it to that neighborhood), thats my normal shave kit, I prefer Isreali Personna or Feather Blades.
I have a Double Duck Straight and a Soligen Germany Straight that i use occasionally. I'd like to get a Feather AC but other things seem to eat my 'hobby budget' before I can aquire one.

I'm bad :cry: I use whatever the wife brings home from WalMart. A Gillette multi blade kit with lot o refills, a big bag of the little el cheapo throw away Bics, even Lady Bics if that's all we have :shock: Hey, with a house full of women that's one thing that's guaranteed to be in stock in our household :lol:

I used to have to wear a shirt and tie every day, couldn't have a beard (food industry) and used a Norelco electric for years. It was a great razor. I was thrilled to throw away the ties and razor and grow a beard once I had extracted myself from that job, and now I shave about every third day, if I feel like it ;)

They hate it when I use the lady razor now, after several days of hardscrabble stubble has set in, and then return it to it's place in the "Ladies" rack in the shower :twisted: :p

DAD!!! :evil:

:lol!:

I use a Mach III with el cheapo shaving soap ($.99) and a badger brush that I bought when I was in the Army. I haven't tried anything too fancy though. Am I missing out?

Are you missing anything????

J, Do you smoke Capt Black out of a basket? (no offence to anyone that does).. Shaving, like smoking can be a very relaxing and ritualistic thing, or it can, like smoking, be an unenjoyable pain in the arse that you suffer through for whatever reason. I have very few joys in life, I don't drive nice cars, my home is below average, my wife n kids, well lets just not do that :) when I find an avenue of enjoyment and relaxation I take it. Reward your face, your mind will thank you.

www.straightrazorplace.com
www.badgerandblade.com
www.shavemyface.com

puros_bran":n39irfwx said:
Are you missing anything????

J, Do you smoke Capt Black out of a basket? (no offence to anyone that does).. Shaving, like smoking can be a very relaxing and ritualistic thing, or it can, like smoking, be an unenjoyable pain in the arse that you suffer through for whatever reason. I have very few joys in life, I don't drive nice cars, my home is below average, my wife n kids, well lets just not do that :) when I find an avenue of enjoyment and relaxation I take it. Reward your face, your mind will thank you.

www.straightrazorplace.com
www.badgerandblade.com
www.shavemyface.com
I was proud of myself for not using canned shaving cream! :lol: I may have to give this some looking into.

Been using a mug and brush since the early 70's. I do enjoy using a straight razor, usually over the weekend. During the week I use anything from single bladed Bics to a Gillette five-blade Fusion (a freebie!). At the moment, I have a bunch of triple-bladed Gillette disposables that do a pretty darn good job! I do buy pretty good shaving soap from Knox and other sources. I especially enjoy the glycerin-based soaps..great shave! FTRPLT

jhuggett":50kg28w4 said:
I use a Mach III with el cheapo shaving soap ($.99) and a badger brush that I bought when I was in the Army. I haven't tried anything too fancy though. Am I missing out?

Yes!

I just use a Gillette Mach3 Turbo or whatever it's called now. I also have a electric shaver, but despite my efforts my skin doesn't seem to adjust to that kind of treatment.

I have a (short-trimmed) beard but do shave my neck. Normally I use a Braun electric, if I let it go a few days or I want a really close shave I use a Bismarck straight razor. When blade shaving, I use Taylor of Bond St. shaving cream and a badger hair brush.

Smokey

For Christmas I just got a Progress Vulfix razor (accepts Mach 3 blades) and a Pure Badger brush. This is my first badger-hair brush and I used it first thing this morning. I was certainly impressed with how well it lathered considering how soft and flexible the bristles are; sure is a far cry from my old boar bristle brush.

The razor handles extremely well, too. The curves are ergonomically pleasing, the weighting is precise, and the color of the handle is cream which matches all of my Old Spice mugs.

What a waste that I look and feel as good as I do and have to go back to work today. :no:

showme

I have a thin beard that runs that follows my jaw line, i dont have a moustache because i have some patches of hair missing. A few years back as a teenager i had awful acne on my face neck and back (so bad i almost got blood poisoning), and the scar tissue that remains means i have patches where no hair grows. Unfortunately for me i love beards, so i make do with my Lincoln style and i hope that in a few years the skin will heal up and grow more hair. Before i grew the beard i used an electric razor (philishave and phillishave coolskin) however these are not too accurate for beard trimming so i now use a mach III for day to day use and i love it. A few years back before the acne i had a straight razor however i dropped it in the sink and cracked the bald one day and i have never got around to buying a new one. I also have a very old Gillete classic which uses the old fashioned double edge razor blades, i like using it however it is prone to causing drag which is not good for my sensitive skin. As for soap, i have a mug that was my grandfathers and i use a good quality shaving soap from Kent (thats the company name), when i travel or if i want a quick shave i use Nivea for men sensitive gel as it doesnt irrate my face too much and i less hassle when i dont have time to get out the mug and brush. The brush i use is a soft hogs bristle brush i bought in France, it does a good job however someday i hope to buy a badger brush, probably when i get a new straight razor.

Hope i havnt bored you all too much!

I have a beard so the shaving is trimming only. I usually won't even trim unless I have a speaking engagement. I recently bought a fusion pack. I also have an electic Braun with a trimmer on it. In the past, I've used most except for a strait blade.
:D Paul

My cheeks and neck get hided regularly with a Merkur "Futura",and Gillette shaving cream in a can.
I have a Vulfix Super Badger brush,and used Taylor's of Old Bond St. shaving cream;far too much trouble now.Also found out that WalMart blades (Supercheap)work as well as Merkur.
It was very pleasurable to lather up and wetshave with the high end products;the investment of time put an end to that.Maybe when the kids are grown......
Tony

I am thinking of going to the old fashi=oned stright razor stilletto. Anyone have any advice???

Davey":pisj04pe said:
I am thinking of going to the old fashi=oned stright razor stilletto. Anyone have any advice???
I'm not familiar with the stilleto razor, but do know some about straights in general.

The learning curve is steep, the accessories are many, the time (and money) invested in doing it right can be much.

If you get a razor you will at least need a strop to keep it sharp (assuming that it has been professionally sharpened to begin with). After that you will want your own hones because you will believe you can get it sharper than anyone else in the world.

Cheapest route: get a razor and have a barber sharpen it for you. Then, lather up with whatever is handy and get to cutting. You'll find out very quickly if it is something that appeals to you. My first time I got no cuts. I didn't cut much hair, though, either. Cuts come with the territory, and they bleed tons but don't necessarily hurt much.

Two sites to check out: www dot straightrazorplace dot com and www dot classicshaving dot com. I've never been let down by either of these places. SRP is a straight razor shaving forum and classic shaving is a retailer. You may find a retail place here or there with different products or better price than classic shaving, but I don't think you'll find a better straight shaving resource that SRP.

showme