What's all this I head about D&R tobaccos?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blackhorse

Trading Post Moderator
Staff member
B of B Supporter
Council Member
Reaction score
So - Daughters and Ryan...once blenders of exotic RYO tobaccos (and pipeweed I guess) have gone over to cutting the leaf exclusively for pipe smokers now...due to the predations of the evil Feds. And they certainly do have some interesting items in the larder. A couple of cigar leaf blends, some Balkans, a number of Perique blends...quite a variety!

Has anyone out there tried some of these, esp. the cigar blends and the Periques???
http://www.pipesandcigars.com/2daughters.html

The cigar stuff is the DonGiovani on the first row. The periques should be pretty obvious.

They're also available here:

http://www.smoke-n-chew.com/index.php?cPath=1_16

Didn't Pipes & Tobaccos review these products sometime last year? I thought that they had just changed their packaging and that the tobacco was still fine cut. Could be wrong, probably am...

As far as I know D&R's main business is selling relabeled RYO "pipe" tobacco. I think the stuff in the 40 gram tins are a legit pipe tobacco but I'm not 100% on that. Mark Ryan always comes to the CPCC show so they must have some interest in pipe smokers. :shock:

Sounds like hearsay to me...I'll have to search a little deeper for that Pipes & Tobaccos info...of course, they sell the stuff, right? But of course I know they would present an unbiased perspective. lol

I do find it a bit odd they would label all containers the same but vary the contents according to what size it was. That's a bit odd. Whatever.

I'm just trying to find out if the stuff is any good in a pipe! That's the thing.

Blackhorse":6k1b5zrv said:
I'll have to search a little deeper for that Pipes & Tobaccos info...of course, they sell the stuff, right?
Pipes & Tobaccos as in Pipes & Tobaccos magazine. The Summer 2010 issue.

dougc905":uk1oahzv said:
Blackhorse":uk1oahzv said:
I'll have to search a little deeper for that Pipes & Tobaccos info...of course, they sell the stuff, right?
Pipes & Tobaccos as in Pipes & Tobaccos magazine. The Summer 2010 issue.
I wish I could find my copy of that issue. I would like to re-read that article. As for the tobaccos themselves......the stuff in the 40g tins is indeed pipe tobacco. Ive smoked a couple of them, but all I remember is that that they need improvement. Also their descriptions of what makes up these blends is piss poor in my opinion. Pipes and Cigars and Smokingpipes uses the generic descriptions that are provided by D&R. D&R needs to be more descriptive in my opinion. Is it a VA, VaPer, etc???

Yes, the article would be of interest...but as a "trade publication" I doubt it would pan individual blends even if deserved.

After doing a basic Google on the topic I found numerous threads on specific blends that were, I felt, pretty candid...and not all that complimentary. I was interested in the Perique blends, and several guys wrote that you could have fooled them as to whether there was even any IN there! I cigar stuff too. I thought it might be a blends of all cigar tobaccos...but not so...only as a component of a VA blend. Well OK. Nuff for me. I'll continue to smoke "The Bankers" or "Storm Front" or one of the other standard cigar blends if I feel the need. BTW: I'm REALLY liking John Patton's 'Storm Front' - a very fine and easy to live with Burley blend that I won't go into detail regarding except to say...try it, you'll like it unless you don't do Burleys.