What's In Our Tobac?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pipetongue1

Broken Pipe
Reaction score
Afternoon All, Bosun Cut Plug
This is one great tobacco from the House of Gwaith &Howgarth, from TR,50% flue cured Vas.[Brazil, Zimbabwe,and Malawi, 30% Dark fired leaf, the rest cigartype notes from leaf from India, Toppings include , oil of cloves, rose geranium.
This blend is possibly my favorite blend, I've smoked pounds and pounds of this very fine G&H blend, consistency is excellent from one year to another, it comes to us almost black and in broken flake form, and for me it is a "medium" smoke, the tobac I'm smoking at the present was jarred 3-05 I have approx. 5# in the CAVE, I once had a 3 hour smoke with this tobac in my Ardor Xmas '03 pipe, Ken. :tongue:
Pacem en Puffing! :tongue: From The Northeast Kingdom! :tongue:

I smoked that once and the topping was too much for me but I could tell there was some serious tobacco underneath that casing. Since discovering the unscented version of Conniston cut plug and falling head over heels for it I'd love to grab some Bosun unscented. I think that would be an impressive smoke 8)

Yo pd, I am pretty sure that BCP only comes as is, no unscented form, Ken :tongue:

TR lists both a regular and an unscented BCP, and SmokingPipes sells a bulk tobacco listed as "BCP Unscented". Big caveat: the descriptions/reviews suggest that "unscented" definitely still has clove, and a noticeable amount of the Lakeland florals.

Doc Manhattan":dp8xulkt said:
Big caveat: the descriptions/reviews suggest that "unscented" definitely still has clove, and a noticeable amount of the Lakeland florals.
That's the beauty of it, you get a touch of Lakeland essence - a mere suggestion really - but the tobacco flavor is allowed to shine. I do recall seeing a retailer selling a couple of unscented plugs but couldn't recall who it was. I may have to grab some unscented Bosun if I can. I was turned on to unscented Conniston by a guy who knew it could be had. I buy it in 500G bags because you never know how long it may be if they suddenly don't have anymore at your favorite retailer.

I have a 4 ounce chunk of Kendal plug unscented, 'bout 5 years old. You wouldn't believe how good this stuff smells.

Even' All, Through ALL my smoking of most ALL G&H, and SG[some], blends I feel most strongly that I have to de-bunk the urban myth, that there are blends of these houses that are u/s, personally I can only conclude that no such[u/s] exists, on the sites of SG, and the Sheffield exchange do they mention a CCPor a Bosun CP [u/s].
A number of years ago I read a review of CCP and it said that a CCP, was left without having the "essance"[lakeland] added, ridiclous! I have found over the years that G&H's quality control first rate, and consistant, prolly leading the world in qc! As if to say that a micro-climate might affect , more rumor, just my 10 cents worth kiddies, Ken. :tongue:
Pacem en Puffing! :tongue: From The northeast Kingdom! :tongue:

I sure hope their consistency is as good as you indicate, 'cause I've sure fallen in love with several of their flakes recently. I don't want them to change.

Natch

Yeah. Apparently there is unscented, which is lightly scented and then there is scented. Which is really well scented. Good stuff!

First let me make a distinction between topping and casing.

Along the way someone said what I am going to say: that topping is adding light unnatural flavors and casing is adding those flavors heavily. As we know Coniston Cut Plug can be topped or cased; the jury is still out whether there is a lightly or heavily amount of scenting with Bosun Cut Plug as we are not sure whether there is a lightly scented version of it.

I've been smoking for 7 years and for the first 5 would not purchase anything that was topped/cased except University Flake, which I would rate as medium-topped.

What I began to do in the last year is to selectively taste this blend, ignoring the berry topping, allowing a bit of it to come through and tasting both the topping and the tobacco full-force. I doubt that I could do this with a cased tobacco.

We know that tobaccos taste similarly to us but that it is difficult to find two smokers with the exactly same take; thus the many reviews on TRs. Amazing what the mind/tongue can do to alter the very same tobacco.

My take-home point from the above is that we can learn to befriend toppings but not casings. Toppings add a taste note that can either be savored or ignored. Although I still prefer so-called natural tobaccos, allowing for the fact that all tobacco has some additives, I've found that I can selectively enjoy or ignore them.

Forget about what I just said about University Flake, ignoring topping etc., as if I consider Peterson Irish Flake, of which I've smoked somewhere between 500 and 1000 grams, we come to a different type of medium-topped tobacco. Here the distinction I draw is that although both have about the same amount of topping, while UF's berry topping can be segregated and then ignored, it seems to my palate to exist on a separate plane from the tobacco; Irish Flake's topping, on the other hand, is inextricably part of the tobacco: if I ignored it I'd be ignoring its entire taste.