What's in your Bulldog?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eddy13

Reaction score
I just purchased a Grabow Regal Bulldog and am wondering if this pipe / shape tends to smoke one tobacco better than others.

Thanks for any info...

Most bulldogs are natural born Virginia flake and rubbed-out flake smokers.

:face:

Rob_In_MO":nud4penc said:
As much as I hate to admit this, I really like the way CBW smokes in my Bulldog.
I'm still unsure about CBW-but I'm still learning, so maybe it is just me. I assume then that any aromatic would work well in the Bulldog?

My Savinelli Bull-Rho is my Va-Per pipe.

Obelus":m3pohuts said:
I think it must depend on the dog-- I might be wrong, but my impression is that there's now more variation among bulldogs than there was 30 years ago or so-- big, deep chambers to almost saucer-like numbers...

For me there are so many other factors (like depth and width of the tobacco chamber, thickness of the walls, cut and moisture content of tobacco, how I tend to smoke aromatics hotter than English) that enter more importantly into consideration, so that pipe shape doesn't pop up on the radar too early.
Great info-thanks...

I'm just curious; what is it about the bulldog shape that makes it so compatible with VA flakes?

I don't really dedicate a pipe to a particular tobacco blend or even style. A bulldog can be good for pretty much any tobacco type as can any other shape- I think the size of the bowl matters more for some tobacco types.

That said, one of my bulldogs is more and more becoming a dedicated English pipe. But then, that is because it is an English Bulldog :clown: (bad pun, sorry). Actually, it is Irish, but my bent bulldog Peterson XL15 is more and more only being smoked with English and Oriental tobaccos with latakia. I may do the same with my "new" estate Savinelli Rhodesian, but otherwise, my bulldogs are not dedicated pipes.

Just noticed this I currently only have one actual bulldoggie in my racks, a BBB from the '30s. I smoke English type stuff in it (Latakia). Usually DH 965 since I've got a bit of it from samples. Once that runs out I dono...maybe Westminster or somethin'.

I only smoke Lat every once in a while and in small doses. The pipe has a very small bowl, is old and well used with thin walls, so the infrequent use also helps to keep it from being overworked.

I mean look at this thing, how could you smoke anything but some stinky English lat weed in it?

I do have a Stanwell 191 too, but I'm not decided on whether that is a Rhodesian or Bulldog. I've been smoking G&H Bosun Cut Plug in it, for whatever that's worth.

I'm with frost, I like a little English in my Bulldog, for sentimental reasons, and they smoke well in mine.

Why are bulldogs flake pipes par excellence ? (I'm envisioning real bulldogs here, like you'd find in 1950, and smoking actual, intact flake segments in them as opposed to fully rubbed-out shreds of what had been a flake).

First off, chamber diameter (18-20 mm). Wide enough for a flavorful smoke but not so wide that it's hard to keep going evenly without over-drawing and attendant tongue abuse.

Second, chamber depth. Billiards with similar bores can work well also, but a bulldog's hour or so burn time is enough. Fringe benefit is that irregularities and miscalculations in packing density aren't as multiplied over distance with them as they are in taller bowls.

Third, just because they are :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

:face: