What's in your rotation right now?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wake_n_flake

Reaction score
The "Top 5 favorite bulks" thread and the "What are you smoking right now?" thread got me thinking... How many open tins (and bulks) are you "actively" working right now? What are the tobacs in your current live "go-to" rotation? What's in YOUR wallet?

Mine looks something like this at the moment (in ever-changing order):

Lancer Slices (bulk jarred - one of my everyday mainstays)
Odyssey (open tin)
SG Balkan Flake (bulk jar, pretty often)
SPC Seattle Evening (open tin)
C&D Odessa (bulk bag from a B&M)
Balkan Sobranie (open tin, almost gone)
Proper English (bulk jar - another frequent mainstay, just awesome)
Dunhill Baby Buttz (open tin)
P-Zance (last ounce of an 8 oz bag I opened last year)
White Night (open tin, almost gone)
Margate (open tin, getting better each time I hit it, but almost gone)
Star of the East Flake (just opened tin)
Charing Cross (open tin, hitting it sparsely)
Quiet Nights (open tin, hitting it sparsely)
Ten to Midnite (bulk jar)

Of course, I have about this many more open tins/jars that I dip into only every once in a while, but this is about the week-to-week rotation of go-to blends that you visit fairly regularly. Let's say the things you currently smoke at least twice a month, if not every weekly or daily.

Yours lineup might be larger or smaller, I'm curious. Quite honestly, I'm surprised that mine has gotten so large lately. I usually stick to a handful of goodies and try to finish a whole tin before I get too many open. That ain't working right now...

Black Frigate
C&D Burley Flake #3
Cumberland 
Bayou Night bulk version
Stonehaven 
A blend & one of my favorites aged: Bayou Night 60% & Burley & Black 40% aged a minimum of one year. After 3 years of aging it's wonderful.
Billy Budd bulk version
Solani ABF 
H&H WhiteKnight
H&H BlackHouse 
A blend of CH 70% & VBC 30%
McClelland 2015 and 5100 
Old Joe Krantz
My cigar leaf blends: My Budd II & My Budd III
Medal of Valor tin version ONLY
Cube Cut Burley
Bayou Night bulk version
Gurkha blends
Granger, over 35 years old
HH Old Dark Fired
Seattle Pipe Club Plum Pudding
GH & Co. Black Irish X rope
War Horse Bar
Captain Earle's Ten Russians
Newminster #400 Superior Navy Flake
Rattray's Marlin Flake
Rattray's Bagpipers Dream
Rattray's 3Noggins
JackKnife Plug
Sixpence
HH Latakia Flake
Dunhill Nightcap tin version ONLY
MM Great Dane
MM Pride
Three Star Blue 
Six of my own personal blends I've made for years

This is tobacco that's all open and I have easy access to and smoke them all on a weekly basis. I've figured this out mathematically, I smoke between 14.7 LBS to 16.2 LBS PER YEAR. That's since I retired due to illness I'm smoking a pipe much more and I still smoke cigars from time to time. 

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!

I'll have to check, can I get back to you?

Something on the order of twenty or thirty open containers at the moment. (I hang my head) :fpalm:

OW, no shame if your smoking the tobacco and enjoying it. Life is short, enjoy your pipes and tobacco. 

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!

Off the top of my head:

Maltese Falcon
Piccadilly
Telegraph Hill
Fillmore
Dunbar
SG ST James Flake
McClelland Legends
McClelland 2015 and 5100 (these two are always open)
Marlin Flake
Dunhill Dark Flake
Captain Earl Private Stock
H&H Anniversary Kake (another one that's always open but I haven't had for prob 6 months)

Some I just Kicked:
Red Rapparee
Quiet Nights
Stonehaven
SPC Plum Pudding
Abingdon

I'd love to open new tins of all the "just kicked" blends (except the Stonehaven... by the time I finished the 2 ounces I had I was WAY over it) but I'm going to be patient.

I have a load of open tins and jars at the moment but that doesn't necessarily constitute a rotation. So I'll only count the blends that I am currently concentrating or "big time" puffing on.

Margate (a permanent in my rotation since 2010)
Sansepolcro
Dunbar (Wonderful dark tasting Vaper, wish I had 10 pounds of it)
SG Balkan Flake
SG St. James Flake
GLP Regent's Flake
GLP Fillmore
McClelland Blackwoods Flake (always smoking it)
McClelland Matured VA No. 24
McClelland Drama Reserve
Peretti Oriental No. 40 (IMHO, one of the best Oriental blends w/Lat on both sides of the Mississippi)
Peretti Tashkent (Simply Outstanding)

I am sure there are others, but these are the blends that I have been smoking the most of. :D

Chris, I also really like Dunbar. I think it's the best Esoterica by far (granted I still haven't had Dorchester) and it's kind of a chameleon of sorts. Sometimes I get the dark, rich, earthy and dark fruit type flavor out of it and it can also be light, crisp, with many different nuances. Still trying to fig it out, but a very interesting smoke.

Old Nate":xz5t1ts7 said:
Chris, I also really like Dunbar. I think it's the best Esoterica by far (granted I still haven't had Dorchester) and it's kind of a chameleon of sorts. Sometimes I get the dark, rich, earthy and dark fruit type flavor out of it and it can also be light, crisp, with many different nuances. Still trying to fig it out, but a very interesting smoke.
Totally. To me Dunbar is extraordinarily pipe dependent. It comes across rich figgy and dark in some pipes and tangy, plumy a sweet in others. "Chameleon" is correct. Still a very good blend and more often than not, full of surprises. Dunbar is way more complex than Dorchester, which is more of a steady Eddie. Of course Dunbar has much more perique which from bowl to bowl can play tricks on the senses.

Christmas Cheer 2016 and 2017
Carter Hall
McBarens Black Ambrosia
Old Gowrie
Swisher Blackstone
Mellow Monk

Stuff I'm smoking pretty regularly right now:

Royal Yacht
Kendal Kentucky
Dunhill Dark Flake
Dunhill Ready Rubbed
Dark Bird's Eye
4th Generation 1931
Davidoff Scottish Mixture
Erinmore Flake
Former's Bird's Eye Flake
Orlik Golden Sliced
Comoy's Cask no. 4
St. Bruno Flake
Luxury Navy Flake

The last couple of months has mostly been:

Heinrichs Dark Strong Flake
Sutliff Edgeworth match
SG Medium Virginia
3 Oaks Syrian
FMC2000

I try to keep my list of open tins/jars to a minimum (just a personal preference).

Right now its:
GLP Chelsea Morning
St. Bruno Flake
My "house" Bur/Ver/Per blend
PS LNF (always on hand in my tobacco pouch)

I also have a tin of SG BBF and GLP Quiet Nights open, but those were only for a project I'm working on and will get sealed up in mason jars this weekend. I'm also planning to crack open a tin of something this weekend but haven't decided what.

My current rotation:

GLP JKP Ready Rubbed
PS LBF
PS LTF
GLP Sixpence
Orlik Dark Strong Kentucky
Dunhill Nightcap
Rattray's Marlin Flake
McClelland Red and Black

I don't have a rotation really. I open 3 blends at a time, finish them, and then repeat.

I am currently smoking the following:

H&H Fusilier's Ration
Esoterica's Pembroke
Germain's Special Latakia Flake

Next 3 will be:

H&H Slice O' Gold
Esoterica's Penzance
GLP's Mephisto (12 years of age)

Right now, I have leftovers that I just put together.
One is Wessex Gold Brick with some Scaferlati Caporal Rouge, Mac Baren 7 Seas Black and Peter Stokkebye Cube Cut. The other leftover mixture has some G & H Grasmere Flake and the Scaferlati, 7 Seas and Cube Cut.
I have called them the "Mumbo Jumbo Mixtures" as, despite their weird components that should normally conflict, they turned out to be not bad at all.

My Rotation Now:

Smoker's Haven Our Best Blend
GLP Bohemian Scandal
Country Squire Green Dragon
McClelland Best Bayou Slice
HU Director's Cut
HU Makhuwa
Esoterica Stonehaven
AJ's Blend (Half & Half plus Perique)
Country Squire Second Breakfast
Country Squire Rivendell

joshoowah":y5fmjuf0 said:
I don't have a rotation really. I open 3 blends at a time, finish them, and then repeat.

H&H Fusilier's Ration
Esoterica's Pembroke

Next 3 will be:

H&H Slice O' Gold
Esoterica's Penzance
I would say that constitutes a rotation, in some sense. I usually have a lot fewer tins open, myself, actually. Just going crazy with new tins lately.

Mephisto - wow, I was just talking about that unusual blend yesterday and made a post in the GLP thread...Haven't had it since like 2001 or something, then it was discontinued so long ago. I have pretty good memories of it. Latakia and Rum don't sound like they belong together, but it works. It's Pease.

Also, I'm about to crack a tin of SLF this week. Never tried it before. Maybe tonight in fact!

wake_n_flake":zf9b6tvf said:
joshoowah":zf9b6tvf said:

H&H Fusilier's Ration
Esoterica's Pembroke

Next 3 will be:

H&H Slice O' Gold
Esoterica's Penzance
I would say that constitutes a rotation, in some sense.  I usually have a lot fewer tins open, myself, actually.  Just going crazy with new tins lately.

Mephisto - wow, I was just talking about that unusual blend yesterday and made a post in the GLP thread...Haven't had it since like 2001 or something, then it was discontinued so long ago.   I have pretty good memories of it. Latakia and Rum don't sound like they belong together, but it works.  It's Pease.

Also, I'm about to crack a tin of SLF this week.  Never tried it before.  Maybe tonight in fact!
SLF is fantastic.

joshoowah":xqkcaxyf said:
SLF is fantastic.
Enjoying it right now as I type. Cracked a tin I picked up earlier this year for my morning smoke. Definitely up my alley.

If you enjoy Germain SLF and can not find it or have any left I highly recommend that you try Mac Baren HH Latakia Flake. It's readily available and I actually enjoy this Latakia Flake even more. Once the FDA regulations kick in by March 2018 this will most likely no longer be available. It was released in Europe in 2011 and here in the States 2012. 

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!