What's in your rotation right now?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lonecoyote":npw7m1cb said:
If you enjoy Germain SLF and can not find it or have any left I highly recommend that you try Mac Baren HH Latakia Flake. It's readily available and I actually enjoy this Latakia Flake even more. Once the FDA regulations kick in by March 2018 this will most likely no longer be available. It was released in Europe in 2011 and here in the States 2012. 

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!
I have heard that from others, and it is definitely high on my list to try, even though I have an irrational cringe to MacBaren products due to smoking them pretty much exclusively for a couple years and getting burned out on them. I realize LF is a different animal, and no disrespect to people that love macbaren blends. I just got tired out of some of the common characteristics of their Virginia based blends.

First bowl impression of SLF - great, outstanding in fact...but not that much Latakia in this bowl, IMO. It was pretty Virginia forward for me, in a positive way. The smokiness was there, but laid back. I got a grassy, apricot note, similar to orlik GS, but without the peppery-ness, but also some supporting latakia and herbalness. Really cool.

I can see by looking at the flakes in this tin that some are very black and some are very bright golden. I imagine each bowl is a bit different in proportion, and I can dig that. I look forward to really getting after this tin hard.

Not as many on the go as some of you heroes, but here's what's on the go right now around here:

Orlik Strong Dark Kentucky
Dunhill Nightcap
SG Squadron Leader
MacBaren Scottish Mixture
MacBaren Original Choice
Carter Hall

Moving slowly through the tins right now as it's too cold and windy out to enjoy much of anything huddling in a parka.

Quick check: The only "tins" I have open and rotated are Edward G. Robinson's Pipe Blend, the last of my Sugar Barrel (these are actually the full-size canisters), and a tin of Orlik Dark Strong Kentucky, my new love. The rest are bulks, LBF, MacB's Scottish Mixture, Peretti's Original, and Peretti's Royal. I've got a closet full of stuff that I want to try but just don't want to open, then forget about until it's dried to a crisp. The temptation to just heave it rather than perform a resurrection is too strong for me. So put me down as a minimalist. Injuries sustained in a recent bombing led me to sequester some stuff in Mason jars, which I am counting as unopened but pregnant.

joshoowah":i12ntcat said:
I don't have a rotation really. I open 3 blends at a time, finish them, and then repeat.
I'm similar, but three isn't quite enough for me. I find I need a Va or VaPer, a burley, and a Latakia blend open to choose from...plus I have my own blend I toss together and usually one of the PS flakes/coins in my pouch. And, every now and then, I get the urge to crack a specific tin that I can't resist. So it's usually 5 at a time for me.

It's silly, but when I have more than that opened at a time, it bothers me.

SG Cabbie's Mixture
Dunhill Royal Yacht(while crying after each puff)
C&D Chenet's Cake
Pease Temple Bar
C&D Old Joe Krantz (bottomless pit)
C&D Haunted Bookshop (bottomless pit)
Edgeworth Ready-Rubbed ( vintage 60's/ 70's???) :farao:

OW":1j0011hw said:
What makes you cry over the Royal Yacht?
Maybe he's crying after each puff knowing that Royal Yacht might not be available much longer??? If that's a favorite of his I hope he stocks up soon!!

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!

Really?

I have a tin of that somewhere, but have yet to open it. Bought it on a whim and tucked it into the bowels of the sock drawer, forgotten, but not alone......

OW

Read this article when you have time.

Copy and paste in your browser

halfwheel.com/dunhill-plans-exit-cigar-pipe-business

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!

Ozark Wizard, I'm crying because Of BAT dropping Dunhill. The Yacht's the only Dunhill I really crave. Love the malty virginias.

Perdurabo":japwmmjs said:
Ozark Wizard, I'm crying because Of BAT dropping Dunhill.  The Yacht's the only Dunhill I really crave.  Love the malty virginias.  
Ah,so...

Malty? I understand it packs a wallop. Meaning strong. Is it like a flake version of GH ropes?

It's ribbon cut. It's fairly potent but not quite rope class. It's one I'll miss too. Really amazing stuff, stock up before it's gone.

Jim

Royal Yuck?

Frankly I don't find it all that in terms of Vit-N. And I'm normally sensitive to that.

OK, so disclaimer time - to date I've only been through 1 tin and that was the current iteration. Found it to be stronger in flavour than brute strength. Liked it a lot actually.

So, I've never had the prior manufacturers versions and doesn't look like I ever will now. Unless they come up on pipestud's site or something, and even then not sure if I could afford them! :eek:

In any case, the current version seems perfectly fine to me. And I should probably budget for a few tins of this before the tobaccolypse   :pale:

Cheers,

RR

As I smoke mostly bulk aromatics and have about 28 blends at the moment I will give you my top 5 got to blends at the moment.
1) C&D Nutty Irishmen
2) my own blend of hobbit's weed I call Pippin's pride
3) Ozark Wizards Mountain Blackberry
4)Ozark Wizards Grandpa's Sweater
and 5) the only tinned tobacy in my go toos Malto Dolche

Yea, not to much of a Nic Bomb.  Not in the Rope class either.  Roayal Yacht is very malty and earthy.   The topping is supposed to be plum, but I get coffee and chocolate.  But that's only when a tin has just been popped.  That's all very subjective, though.  I just don't pick up a plum note.