What's This Guy's Nut?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Richard Burley

Reaction score
You know, his monthly costs, lease payment, payroll, fixtures and fittings, electric, insurance, etc.  I have done business with the company, but I pictured some guy working out of a closet. Apparently I need to revise my image of the current market in pens and ink. How many pens does he need to sell to break even? Stunning. Who'da thought? Not this ol' boy.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/IXPXLPIerbU" frameborder="0" loading="lazy" allowfullscreen ></iframe>

Namiki, Pelikan etc don't deal with guys who deal out of a closet. You really thought that? :twisted:

monbla256":esmrunel said:
Namiki, Pelikan etc don't deal with guys who deal out of a closet. You really thought that? :twisted:
I was slightly exaggerating. His payroll alone makes me wince. Pens and ink? Really? Reminds me of an old Saturday Night Live skit in which a guy had a tape boutique newly set up in a modern shopping mall. Hey, I ain't knocking it; if sales cover expenses, plus a decent profit, I wish the enterprise well.

They would probably have a lot more of my money if I wasn't already elbows deep in the pipe collecting rabbit hole. I don't mind buying from business like Goulet, Vanness, etc. instead of just ordering from Amazon and getting my free 2day shipping. Plus, when I finally decide to drop a significant chunk of cash on a fountain pen (ie. Pelikan M205, Lamy2000, Sailor 1911, etc.) I would rather support a family business, given they work so hard to educate via blogs and articles, bring difficult to find items to us, and curate the collection so I have some idea where to begin looking. Plus I would feel comfortable knowing the item is legit.