What's up with Warped?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smoker13

B of B Supporter
Reaction score
I'm under the impression that smokingpipes.com are the exclusive dealers of Warped pipe tobaccos. That said, I've been waiting for MONTHS for them to get an inventory of Cloud Hopper and Until The End available. Luckily I had previously stocked up on The Red Hunt and Kings Stride (both of which I LOVE), but they are also among the MIA. I've yet to try the first two I mentioned, and have been waiting and waiting and.....but still I don't see any hope on the horizon. Were these limited editions when offered? I was distinctly under the impression that Warped was fully committed to the pipe tobacco market before they dove into it, and from all reports, they've done a marvelous job with all of their products. So I'm just stymied (and yes, frustrated) by the continual absence of much of their product line on their exclusive dealer's shelves. Any light on this?

It could be that Kyle Gellis of Warped Cigars, just didn't think there was enough profit to be made with pipe tobacco, compared to Warped Cigars. Cornell and Diehl produced the pipe tobacco and the chief blender, if Tobacco Reviews is correct, wasn't Gellis, but Jeremy Reeves.
Gellis doesn't have a factory. His cigars are rolled at El Titan de Bronze in Miami and Tabacos Valle de Jalapa S.A. in Nicaragua

Kyle Gellis

Everything is like that today. It will be back.

I need to look and see if I have any of the others than Cloud Hopper. When I got Cloud Hopper, I could not get Kings Stride. I cannot remember about the others. And I only picked up a few tins. Makes no sense any more to buy huge amounts, when I have so much in my cellar.

Unless I run across a huge lot of Bracken Flake or 1792 Flake.

Everything is like that today. It will be back.
Keep in mind Gellis is only 32 years old. When questioned about the Warped brand, in general, he has said that because of federal legislation and the relative "newness" of his brand, he's now sure if he'll be allowed to stay in business.

Keep in mind Gellis is only 32 years old. When questioned about the Warped brand, in general, he has said that because of federal legislation and the relative "newness" of his brand, he's now sure if he'll be allowed to stay in business.
It's indeed an unfortunate sign of the times that anything related to tobacco gets relegated to such stringent and, at times, ludicrous legalities. To bear evidence of the ludicrous, I present the following: When the second run of Sun Bear, a mixture I dearly love, became available I became elated. I very soon learned, however, that I couldn't have any of it shipped to my address in Massachusetts because it contained elements aside from tobacco in its components (!). The tale ends fine, though. I thought quickly and had the limit of 5 tins sent to a friend in New York and he then sent it forwarded them to me.

When the second run of Sun Bear, a mixture I dearly love, became available I became elated. I very soon learned, however, that I couldn't have any of it shipped to my address in Massachusetts because it contained elements aside from tobacco in its components.
C & D's Sun Bear is a blend of red and bright Virginias, Basma, and Izmir. It's cased with South Carolina honey, tequila blanco, and elderflower. What in the casing was prohibited in Massachusetts?

I wasn't given an itemization, the only "explanation" was that it contained elements other than tobacco, so I'm assuming the honey, tequila blanco and elderflower (?) I know, makes no sense to me, possibly it was limited to the alcohol component, who knows, Massachusetts is the most screwball state in the union. Another instance: I had a wave of nostalgia recently and thought about purchasing the classic Ruger .22 automatic target pistol like I used to own. Well, If you live in CA or MA it's illegal. I just couldn't believe it. But it wasn't as bad as when I was in the Kitterrey Trading Post in Maine on the way home from a vacation and saw a Uberti replica of a Black Powder conversion of a 1860 Colt Army to .38 Colt (Black Powder). I have several regular BP pistols, but a conversion has always been on my list of wants. Well, I was informed that I couldn't buy it as soon as I gave my address. You guessed it; Illegal in Massachusetts. A Black Powder cartridge revolver!

Places like MA and CA are just nuts. Most restrictive gun laws in the nation but they still have high crime rates and mass shootings. Just yesterday a guy in CA shot 5 people. And almost every gun I own would be illegal in CA or MA. Thank God I live in AZ. Stupid SJ Lee in TX wants to register even unfireable antiques and force you to pay a tax to own them. So the 1890 hammer fired double barrel shotgun that hangs on my wall and hasn't been fired in probably 90 years would cost me $800 a year to display. Hard to believe how stupid some of these legislators are.

Ranger107 commented:

"So the 1890 hammer fired double barrel shotgun that hangs on my wall and hasn't been fired in probably 90 years would cost me $800 a year to display."

It's only $2.19 a day.
images