What's your 9 to 5??

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Electrical engineer. No, I don't change light bulbs (as an occupation), no, I won't fix yer TV.

In particular, I work in the hardware side of analog integrated circuits, power management to be precise. It's a very small subset of EE. :study:

kaitlyn3837":o0uhz22s said:
Any updates or people who haven't posted already?
Nothings changed. Is it supposed to when you are "retired" ? :twisted: :twisted:

Technical Support Analyst for the local water company. Basically I'm an IT catch-all. I started out as helpdesk, now (4 years later) I do helpdesk, backups, network administration, telephones, server management, etc. The etc. is the catch-all in my job description ("and duties as assigned").

Don't get me wrong. I LOVE you job, the company, and the people. I just have no defined position. They really need to make an IT job called JOAT (Jack of all trades).

Before this I was in the Navy as a Firecontrolman (FC) then cross rated to Information Systems Technician (IT). FC was by far the best job I've ever had. Most people think of firefighters when they hear Firecontrolman. It's actually the opposite, we pick where the fire starts. We maintain and operate the firecontrol radars and weapons systems. I blew things up!! It was great but not much of a civilian application. So I switched to IT to have software as well as hardware.

It's been great reading about all the different professions we have here. Let's keep it going!!

Inside Sales for the parts department of an International truck dealership.

For now.

Major life change coming in a few weeks.

Update on the Jeep Willys.... I traded it straight across for a 1978 F100 Custom with less than 60k miles on it. It has the original tangerine paint job too. I just about have it running, and it still needs the complete wiring harness replaced. I think I got the better end of the deal. Unfortunately, I didn't get the coonskin caps in the deal :(

43223900_JSqBQB
[/url][/img]

43223900_JSqBQB
[/url][/img]

43223900_JSqBQB
[/url][/img]

I'm an administrative support assistant. I do the gift acknowledgement letters for the president of a big ten university. It sounds way more glamorous than it is, but hey, it's a job and a good one. Its my point B job. You know, the one in the middle from Point A to Point C.

Retired IT network design engineer. Now I'm just an old grumpy geezer that whines and complains about everything and everybody... and I like it that way. :lol:

AJ

Aspiring geologist/geotech when the work's there, fine dining/catering cook when I'm in a pinch, flogger of wares and goods when it gets dire.

9-to-5 doesn't exist in my world, and hasn't since I was a network admin in the late 90s. Stability or freedom, because unless you're born rich, you can't have both. The payoff is character.

8)

I'm among the retired brethren. I worked in law enforcement for much too long, now I'm just an angry, old, cynical, curmudgeon. Well, at least that's what I'd like to be. :lol:

In actuality, I'm none the worse for the wear, and can be quite amiable. I do work one day a week (Saturday) doing a security job for an old friend. That gives me tobacco and pipe money, so I'm quite happy with the way things are.

ajn27511":va8khhv3 said:
Retired IT network design engineer. Now I'm just an old grumpy geezer that whines and complains about everything and everybody... and I like it that way. :lol:

AJ
I work for the Feds in the Dept. of Labor with the State of Floriduh.  

I'm soon to be retired at the end of Dec. 2014.

Then I will devote full time to aggravating the crap out of AJ.  
I do a good job.

pepesdad1":xt22ad8b said:
ajn27511":xt22ad8b said:

AJ

I do a good job.

:lol!: :lol!: :lol!:

Cheers,

RR

pepesdad1":18js3zrj said:
ajn27511":18js3zrj said:

AJ

I do a good job.
Every retiree needs at least one hobby :geek:

I'm a Correctional Counselor for a Fed. prison in Ky. A cross between a Drill Instructor and Den Mother. Take my advice, don't go to prison if you can help it.

Greybowl":q3wyyu65 said:
I'm a Correctional Counselor for a Fed. prison in Ky.  A cross between a Drill Instructor and Den Mother.  Take my advice, don't go to prison if you can help it.
Duly noted!

pepesdad1":m4zqjsx9 said:

I do a good job.
Looks like Walt needs another lesson in jar technology. :lol!:

AJ

Not sure if I ever had dreams and aspirations, but if I did, I sold them out for financial stability and nights and weekends with my family. A couple of years ago I left the private practice of law and took a job as in-house counsel at an multinational insurance and financial conglomerate (on the insurance end). I still get a good bit of courtroom time, so I haven't felt the need to put a bullet in my brain...yet.

Pay is good, hours are good, and I get to eat dinner with my boy every night. So it was a worthwhile tradeoff.