What's your 9 to 5??

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No 9-5 but work in the oilfield. Mostly oil & gas completions & workovers when I'm not working on the farm and a friend has a pilot & hauling business that I help him out with when he's short drivers. Like to do leatherwork & build custom knives but the pay sucks and there is never enough time.

I now make pipes 9-5 and teach Brazilian Jiu Jitsu and MMA at night

rev

I am a doctor of chiropractic in private practice. I have been working on a PhD in neuroscience for the past 6 years so I have been doing research and teaching at UC Riverside while I continue to practice. I will have a PhD in neuroscience to go with my professional degree this September.

jefe1037":sjfngc7e said:
Waiter and Sommelier at Zagat's #1 place for both steaks and seafood in Chicago. I wear a Tuxedo to work every day.
Hah! I get to work on stuff going into space and I get to wear shorts and flip-flops!

Wow, this is a great read.

I'm a Manufacturing Engineer for a plastics company. I design and build work stations and mechanisms that perform secondary processes on injection molded plastic parts, i.e., testing, inspection, decorating, assembly, etc.

I've been working in automation for most of the last 25 years. Before that, I was a machinist and maintenance mechanic.

I've been a heavy equipment operator for 30 years and most of that time as a member of IUOE Local 139. I've mostly worked around medium to very large dirt moving operations and some xc pipeline work. I'm enjoying finally living at home riding the local frac sand boom in my area.   :shock:
engineers1.png

Trained to be a Pastor but nothing panned out. Currently selling cars and a large national used car company. Not quite what I wanted to do for a living but you gotta pay the bills.

Designer/CAD Manager in the wastewater division of an engineering company. Yup, its a crappy job but someones gotta do it.

I'm a Sales Associate for a large Western Apparel store here at the Amarillo location. I also do some contract work for a local artist as a metal fabricator, as well as make knives in my spare time.

I am a Safety Manager for a very large manufacturing facility.

I've always been in sales, having started with

Compaq, then to
Hewlet Packard
Xerox
BMC
CA and so on. I've worked with customers such as: NASA, Lockheed Martin, Walmart, and even the office of George Bush (Senior).

I've left the corporate world to starve...I mean work for myself, at least until they repossess my house  :lol!: As it is, I'm making pipes full time and love every minute of it! I can't wait for Monday, so I can go make something, and I've never been able to say that in all of my years of work.

Well what they pay me to do from 9-5 is audit property damge insurance claims. But mostly what i really do is think about all the things i would rather be doing than auditing propert damage insurance claims and try to restrain myself from acting out in a destructive way.

For the last 20 years I have worked as a Tig Welder, primarily on government contracts. For the last 8 months, I have been driving a semi all over the country, mostly hauling auto parts and air conditioning units. It takes up most of my time, but I don't have to actually work anymore, so things have evened out.

I'm a Telecomms/UC engineer, primarily a lab rat these days on contract at a software company based in Redmond, WA.

I'm also a musician and recording engineer evenings and weekends.

I'm a project manager in the translations dept. of Caterpillar Inc. It has it's bright aides, but they are rather few and far between. Before the arrival of my now 7 month old, I also was an adjunct professor of English. Really looking forward to getting back to teaching sooner than later.

My first "career" job was asst prof of English. Yes, I do have a cord jacket with elbow patches:) The market for such people was shrinking, so after a stint as an advertising copywriter I went into corporate communications and was later an internal communications manager, an exec communications mgr, a speechwriter, an annual financial report editor, a community affairs manager, a pr manager, a corporate internet site manager/editor/publisher. Just couldn't keep a job:) Now I'm retired. The neat thing about my pipes is that each is liinked with a step along the wandering career path, beginning with the first Dr. Grabow which was purchased to help make me look older than my students.

I'm a CPA at a firm in the San Juan Islands in Washington. I primarily deal with taxes but do a lot of accounting and consulting work. It's nice to have a good job and live in a beautiful place.

My first carreer, from around age 15 to 35, I was a chef. My present career I operate a readymix concrete truck doing mainly industrial and commercial work (bridges, dams, runways, large commercial foundations etc) and am a member of the Western Conference of Teamsters. My next carreer is the one I'm really looking forward to, making my pension collection age and retiring to fish and putz around until the good lord comes to take me (9 more years. The retirement, not the dying.... Hopefully).

image11.jpg

image12.jpg

Very cool topic! It is fun to see what everyone is doing.

Right now I am a retail manager tobacconist for a cigar/pipe/knife shop. I started with a passion for cigars and now I am exploring pipes. Couple side gigs include refurbishing pipes, social media for businesses, and flipping houses. I like to stay busy!

I'm considering leaving my current company to either pursue my own tobacco shop or getting my real estate license (which would help out significantly with flipping houses). Haven't decided yet. I really love where I work, small business, great owner, fun co-workers. But I have pretty much topped out where I can go with the company and I have always wanted to work for myself. Oh well! We shall see!

Background:
Bachelors of Science in Sports Management with a Business Administration Minor. Previous jobs in order from my first: Daycare worker, accountant at a small accounting firm, soccer teacher/coach, retail, and food server. I also played two sports in college: Soccer and cross country.