What's your 9 to 5??

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dave_In_Philly":0sk8twzz said:
in-house counsel at an multinational insurance and financial conglomerate
When you put it that way, you sound kind of like a James Bond villain.

I work in healthcare informatics designing drug discovery and development models. Also work with hospitals designing better patient care systems.

idbowman":lwoucj6z said:
Dave_In_Philly":lwoucj6z said:
I do have a cat and I tend to wear tight leather gloves while I sitting around the office.

Retired Navy 6/89
Submarines and sub launched ICBMs

odd jobs for 7 yrs

Started @ USPS 8/98, retired as ET 2/13

Now grouchy old man annoying wife of 44 yrs, striving to be village curmudgeon.

Hobbies: Ham radio, hunting, fishing and jamming music with friends. Usually guitar, sometimes a little banjo, mandolin or upright bass.

Dave_In_Philly":gwncg652 said:
idbowman":gwncg652 said:
Dave_In_Philly":gwncg652 said:
I do have a cat and I tend to wear tight leather gloves while I sitting around the office.
Handle real property or auto by any chance? If so its entirely possible our paper trails have crossed at some point, which would be funny.

Frost":2dfwlolp said:
Handle real property or auto by any chance? If so its entirely possible our paper trails have crossed at some point, which would be funny.
Back in the day I did a lot of that work for Nationwide. The company I work for now only writes high dollar commercial policies. I do some catastrophic tort and products liability, but I tend to handle anything that is out of the ordinary. Professional Malpractice, some D&O stuff, and the newest thing is Condo/Homeowners associations.

That almost sounds interesting. At least, interesting as insurance jobs get anyway...haha. We get a lot of requests for audit of product liability subrogation as a few of our clients write large commercial policies. Sometimes suit is already filed by the time we get them and I get to settle with the other carrier's attorney. As long as I don't think too much about the difference between what they make and what I make, I don't pull my hair out too much.

The most I had to deal with so far was a ~700+ page $2.5M house fire from some defective part or other. Almost quit when they put that on my desk. Of course I almost quit every day so I guess that doesn't mean much :D

I can honestly say that my very first paying job was bounty hunter, and yes I have been shot. .....

Even though I know it sounds way more impressive if I just leave it at that, I grew up listening to Paul Harvey, so here's the rest of the story.
I grew up on a ranch in western Oregon with my parents and grandparents (dads side). At the age of 7 or 8 my grand father started paying me a dime a piece for digger (ground) squirrel tails. I had an old single shot bolt action .22 with a plunger, and he'd count out a doz or so shells for me, then send me out the door with the dog and my pocket knife. When I got in, he'd count out the tails Id collected and if there was too big of a discrepancy between shells used and number of tails collected, he would quite literally kick my ass hard enough to lift me up on my tip toes. "Dammit boy! Bullets don't grow on trees you know. Aint sending you out there just to bang away and waste em."
The getting shot part involved squirrel hunting with the grandson of one of my grandfathers acquaintances. The squirrel had ran under an old junker car parked out on the edge of the pasture and as we lay on our bellies looking under the car, Einstein thinks he sees it and takes a shot. WHANG!zzzz! the .22 bullet or a piece of shrapnel flies back and takes a shallow furrow out of my T shirt and the top of my shoulder. Not deep enough to do any real damage, but enough to burn like hell and have my mom and grandmother asking what happened to my T shirt and why I was bleeding. I told them what happened and Einstein never came out to the ranch again. That evening my dad explained that this was why you never hunt with anyone you don't know and trust.
As for other jobs, Ive worked enough food service to be fairly convinced that the good Lord did not wire me for that particular occupation, same goes for call center employee, and green chain puller in a sawmill. Wild land fire fighting with the
Forest Circus when I was in my early to mid 20's was very cool job, as was summer help on county road crew while I was going to college. Spent nine years working for the state as a field biologist, great job if you can afford it, but then the state budget took a dump so no funding for projects, and I managed to tear an MCL while doing a spawning survey, so now I drive a school bus. I don't know if my mom drank heavily while she was pregnant with me or what, but I really like bus driving. Doesn't make any sense to me, 40 foot bus, 80 screaming kids, traffic...(shrug).

Brewdude":3kcmvyyx said:
That's quite a story or two Femus!

:mrgreen:

Cheers,

RR
If he talks that much on a regular basis, PeeB won't need to worry about my posts any longer... :lol:

Kyle Weiss":za7g7wp9 said:
Brewdude":za7g7wp9 said:
That's quite a story or two Femus!

:mrgreen:

Cheers,

RR
If he talks that much on a regular basis, PeeB won't need to worry about my posts any longer... :lol:
Yeah, he fits in here already! :D

Sorry for wall of text. Welsh lineage, loquacious to a fault at times it seems.

Fumus":zy2mqapc said:
Sorry for wall of text. Welsh lineage, loquacious to a fault at times it seems.  
No worries there. They was just ribbin' ya for a bit. We like loquacious folk around these here parts. To many just spit out gruff, short sentences. :lol!: I have been known to throw up a novel or two in my day. :twisted:

Thank you for clearing that up for me d4. Come from a family of story tellers, its kind of how we connect. If they're talking to you or cussing at you, your OK. Its when they get quiet that your in trouble.

I drive a cdl b class garbage truck. Full sized peterbilt. It's fun to drive, but the job is filthy. I smoke cobs at work, helps keep the stink at bay haha

I work for the municipal park system in my county. My focus is athletic fields. It should be more fun than it's actually been recently. A lot of attrition in our work force.