What's your favorite coffee?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There are days when I am compelled to describe myself as a:
dumb
donkey-picture-id92374087
After viewing the YouTube video that displayed the Imusa Electric Moka Pot, I ordered one from Amazon. Because there is an Amazon distribution center 20 minutes from my house, it arrived the day after I ordered it. What an absolute piece of junk! The reservoir barely holds 8 oz. of water. It does take about 10 minutes to make one cup of coffee. The pot, unfilled, barely rests on the base without toppling over. There's a spring mechanism which is attached to the electric power contact and it's too strong for the pot unless the reservoir is filled. I did make a couple of cups of coffee, but I should have returned it after running a test of plain water through it. I'm used to drinking very hot coffee...boiling water to French Press or stovetop moka pot on induction cooktop. The coffee from the Imusa Electric is hot, but not anywhere as hot as I make by other methods.

There are days when I am compelled to describe myself as a:
dumb
donkey-picture-id92374087
After viewing the YouTube video that displayed the Imusa Electric Moka Pot, I ordered one from Amazon. Because there is an Amazon distribution center 20 minutes from my house, it arrived the day after I ordered it. What an absolute piece of junk! The reservoir barely holds 8 oz. of water. It does take about 10 minutes to make one cup of coffee. The pot, unfilled, barely rests on the base without toppling over. There's a spring mechanism which is attached to the electric power contact and it's too strong for the pot unless the reservoir is filled. I did make a couple of cups of coffee, but I should have returned it after running a test of plain water through it. I'm used to drinking very hot coffee...boiling water to French Press or stovetop moka pot on induction cooktop. The coffee from the Imusa Electric is hot, but not anywhere as hot as I make by other methods.
Send it back and tell Amazon it is defective and doesn't get hot enough. Great thing about Amazon they will take anything back.

I grind my own beans daily and prefer med-dark roasts/dark roasts. Varietals such as Ethiopian Harrar come to mind although I've been open to many others. For a while now I've been stuck into a blend of med-dark beans my local Sprouts Framer's Market chain sells known as Organic Mountain Gold. Not clear on the origin of the beans but the overall roast characteristics coupled with the flavor and acidity agrees with me.

I will re-state that without a doubt the absolute finest coffee I've ever had was from our own BH who roasts small batches himself. It might have been Indian Peaberry but that was too many years ago to remember. In any case this coffee was friggin amazing and even now I clearly remember it had a distinct black cherry flavor. Totally off the hook!

:love:

Cheers,

RR

I will re-state that without a doubt the absolute finest coffee I've ever had was from our own BH who roasts small batches himself. It might have been Indian Peaberry but that was too many years ago to remember. In any case this coffee was friggin amazing and even now I clearly remember it had a distinct black cherry flavor. :love: .Cheers, RR
I never got any.........

Seriously, while it was alive, I was a member of the Green Coffee Cooperative and home roasted. Now, I just buy Lavazza whole bean at Costco Business Center.

Well, my pour over days are done. About two hours ago, I reached for a canister of coffee beans and managed to crash the pour over glass carafe to the kitchen floor, which is ceramic tile. I've gone over the floor with a broom and two different vacuum cleaners to clean up the shards of broken glass. I take care of my 14-month-old granddaughter several days a week, plus, on some days her two siblings, all age 6 and under. They all scoot around the house without shoes. The 14-month-old still crawls. Personally, I use plastic tumblers and metal travel cups. In the prior few months, I've broken several glasses on the kitchen floor and spent hours carefully cleaning the floor and pulling glass shards out of my feet. My French Press is also glass. On Monday, Amazon will deliver a stainless steel French Press.
715NlRxcvhL._AC_UL400_.jpg

Well, my pour over days are done. About two hours ago, I reached for a canister of coffee beans and managed to crash the pour over glass carafe to the kitchen floor, which is ceramic tile. I've gone over the floor with a broom and two different vacuum cleaners to clean up the shards of broken glass. I take care of my 14-month-old granddaughter several days a week, plus, on some days her two siblings, all age 6 and under. They all scoot around the house without shoes. The 14-month-old still crawls. Personally, I use plastic tumblers and metal travel cups. In the prior few months, I've broken several glasses on the kitchen floor and spent hours carefully cleaning the floor and pulling glass shards out of my feet. My French Press is also glass. On Monday, Amazon will deliver a stainless steel French Press.
715NlRxcvhL._AC_UL400_.jpg
That's a nice looking French Press. I have abut half a dozen different coffee making apparatuses but mainly use three. The three i use most are my espresso machine, French press, and Chemex, then I also have a plain old drip machine, aeropress, and a Vietnamese drip. Still need to get a moka pot for the collection

All of the methods and machines mentioned here can provide a crackerjack cup o’ joe. I think the big key is water temp. On Sweet Maria’s website there are really expensive machines that test at just the right temp to extract the optimum goodness. I think the brand is technivorm. Like in the neighborhood of $300. But not for me. As a roaster of very small batches I want a one mug brewer so as to conserve my beans. Given that nothing is perfect and we live in a world of compromises I’ve settled on a Keurig style machine (made by Meuller in Austria) that will brew the cups and very cool plastic and metal mesh refillable k-cups. I’ve talked about this thing before so I won’t go into a lot of detail here. But I find a french press coffee too sludgy, a pour over makes way too much coffee with no good way to keep it hot, a moka pot is too much hassle...etc. I want something fast and easy for 90% of my brewing. I find pre-heating a 12 oz mug with hot tap water is a very good thing. After that it’s one of maybe 4 or 5 Community Coffee k-cups or a refillable one with my own or other ground beans. Lots of choice...super fast and easy...very acceptable results.

oh...and you need the right mug...

A34A1D9F-BC21-4A03-8257-05D9E641E6B9.jpeg

About 99% of the time I do espresso drinks since they are the fastest and easiest for me.

I also roast my own coffee, I find it way cheaper and fresher than buying any from the store

I also have a Keurig and refillable K-cups. I just can't get a strong enough cup of coffee using the Keurig. For my normal 14 oz. travel cup, I use four standard coffee scoops of freshly ground coffee, about twice the recommended quantity of grounds. I do have the burr grinder set on maximum coarse.

I also have a Keurig and refillable K-cups. I just can't get a strong enough cup of coffee using the Keurig. For my normal 14 oz. travel cup, I use four standard coffee scoops of freshly ground coffee, about twice the recommended quantity of grounds. I do have the burr grinder set on maximum coarse.
You could probably get a stronger cup of you tried a finer grind, but I wouldn't go too fine as it may clog the machine or be bitter in the cup.

You could probably get a stronger cup of you tried a finer grind, but I wouldn't go too fine as it may clog the machine or be bitter in the cup.
When I wrote that I use coarse grind, I was mid-brain fart. I use coarse for the French Press, medium for the K-cups.

Do you have a thermometer you can measure the brew water with? I’ve never seen a Keurig machine that got water anywhere near hot enough. Then too, if you’re used to and prefer the nature of french press coffee...there’s no machine of any kind that’s gonna brew coffee like that...thick...syrupy...brain fryingly potent. lol

I prefer light to medium roast beans. But I started on coffee that grandpa put on about 4:30-5:00am and was still percolating in the glass percolator on the stove when Nonie got up a couple hours later. They would get all the good out of their coffee. The Great Depression did that to them.

I have been a fresh ground bean fan for almost 20 years now. My favorite everyday coffee is a medium roast Guatemalan Atitlan, although admittedly I mostly use whatever medium roast that Costco has at the time. I always do a pour over using water that has just started to bubble but not hard boil, I can tell from the sound when my kettle is at the right temperature. My son can afford some of the expensive boutique coffees and I do enjoy them when he comes to visit. For a darker brew I always loved the coffee they serve in France, I travelled there a lot at one time and loved the coffee even what they served in McDonalds.

Last I had French Press was too long ago to remember. Prolly >30 years.
Have you ever made Turkish coffee?

Years ago I made middle eastern coffee daily. Ground the beans to a fine powder and added ground cardamon and brought it just to a boil in an Ibrik twice to produce the correct amount of foam. Let that settle a little and carefully poured into a demitasse coffee cup. This was very thick and strong and one could not drink to the bottom as there would be sediment. Did that for years and got burned out on it.

Cheers,

RR