What's your favorite coffee?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Corncobcon

B of B Supporter
Reaction score
I enjoy a good cup of coffee all the time.   Columbian coffee is one of my favorites. I'm not into brewing beans or what type of beans they are, I just like coffee.  I enjoy Eight O'clock's Columbian Peaks K-cups.  In my drip pot I always have Cameron's Breakfast Blend and Caribou's Day Break. What about you all?

I'm all about Chinese tea: Sheng pu-erh, Shou pu-erh, Wuyi Yan cha, etc.

All time was Aida's Grand Reserve.  Bit of a long story and pretty much an unobtainum.   Obtainable, I do like Aida's Finca Mauritania from El Salvador.  Bourbon varietal coffee plant grown on the side of Santa Ana volcano.  

Lately it has been Sumatra Raja Batak Peaberry but I only have one pound left so time to order something new since that is out of stock now.

Use to use a French Press but my cholesterol levels were elevated so I switched to a Bonavita brewer.   Unfiltered coffee such as French Press or Espresso can raise cholesterol levels.  Given the amount of coffee I drink it was having an effect.   Wife and I go through a pound of coffee a week.

EDIT: Just ordered 10 lbs of Guatemala Antigua Finca "BV" Bourbon coffee

I'm all about whole beans ground fresh daily. Right now I'm groovin' on a blend from my local store called Organic Mountain Gold. Dunno what the origin is but it's a med-dark roast with plenty of complexity.

The finest coffee I've ever had was roasted by our own BH, and it was mind-blowing! Think it was dark roasted Indian Peaberry and had this character of dark cherries all over it! I can still remember how wunnerful it was, and that was many moons ago!

8)

Cheers,

RR

I've found the method, I'm still looking for the right beans. I bought a Bialetti pour-over and love it. I've been experimenting with different beans and so far Eight O'Clock Colombian whole bean coffee freshly ground is about the best that I have tried, but I admittedly have not tried too many yet. Starbucks' Cafe Verona (I think it was called) was pretty good but not dark enough of a roast to suit me. I shalll keep looking...

And, I'm a tea drinker like Zanaspus most of the time. Especially in the afternoons and evenings.

Here is a fun fact. Jamaica Blue Mountain today is not the same coffee that made Blue Mountain famous. In the early 70s a hurricane wiped out the varietal. The Japanese stepped in and offer to replant but they get 1st dibs on anything good that grows. They replanted with a hybrid varietal that is not the same.

However, a plantation in Papua New Guinea called Sigri Estate AA was created from the original Blue Mountain varietal. If you can find it online it is worth it to try a piece of a coffee legend.

That's a hard question, like what's the best tobacco! We go through a lot of coffee in our house, we started roasting to save money. Right now we have a Yemen Mokha Harasi going that is really good. I'm a big fan of African and Mexican coffees.

D.L.Ruth":4i2fgsnr said:
That's a hard question, like what's the best tobacco! We go through a lot of coffee in our house,  we started roasting to save money. Right now we have a Yemen Mokha Harasi going that is really good. I'm a big fan of African and Mexican coffees.
Love Yemen coffee! Thought that would be tough to come by with the war going on?

Simple Man...if Starbucks Cafe Verona isn’t dark enough for you I’d guess that your next step is French Roast.  The Verona is Italian Roast which is just next door to the French.  And if that’s the case...then you’re choosing coffee on the basis of the darkness of the Roast as opposed to what the bean origin, variety, etc. offers.

I Roast my own beans (currently using a Behmore 2) most often and favor two basic genres. One type (which I can’t afford) are the Gesha varietals grown in Central America.  Incredible beans.  More expensive than Kona.  Very sweet and super floral roasts.  Next in line are the Kenyan and Ethiopian grown beans.  I buy exclusively from Sweet Maria’s in Oakland...since I know them in the sense that I’ve been buying their micro lot green beans for years and know how to pick from their wide variety.  

Do yourself a favor.  Sweet Maria’s does a monthly roasting of several different beans and sells them whole bean, by the pound.  They are different every time and roasted perfectly.  Gives you the chance to see what different micro lot coffees are all about.

The best blended green beans I’ve used is one called Ethiopiques.  

https://www.sweetmarias.com/sweet-maria-s-ethiopiques-blend.html

Ooooo.  Look!  They have their Ethiopiques blend for sale as a roasted offering this month.  It’s about 7 on a 5 star scale.

https://www.sweetmarias.com/green-coffee/by-type/roasted-coffee.html

Blackhorse":j7ymacbu said:
Simple Man...if Starbucks Cafe Verona isn’t dark enough for you I’d guess that your next step is French Roast.  The Verona is Italian Roast which is just next door to the French.  And if that’s the case...then you’re choosing coffee on the basis of the darkness of the Roast as opposed to what the bean origin, variety, etc. offers.

I Roast my own beans (currently using a Behmore 2) most often and favor two basic genres. One type (which I can’t afford) are the Gesha varietals grown in Central America.  Incredible beans.  More expensive than Kona.  Very sweet and super floral roasts.  Next in line are the Kenyan and Ethiopian grown beans.  I buy exclusively from Sweet Maria’s in Oakland...since I know them in the sense that I’ve been buying their micro lot green beans for years and know how to pick from their wide variety.  

Do yourself a favor.  Sweet Maria’s does a monthly roasting of several different beans and sells them whole bean, by the pound.  They are different every time and roasted perfectly.  Gives you the chance to see what different micro lot coffees are all about.

The best blended green beans I’ve used is one called Ethiopiques.  

https://www.sweetmarias.com/sweet-maria-s-ethiopiques-blend.html

Ooooo.  Look!  They have their Ethiopiques blend for sale as a roasted offering this month.  It’s about 7 on a 5 star scale.

https://www.sweetmarias.com/green-coffee/by-type/roasted-coffee.html
Thank you, Blackhorse! I will check them out. 8)

ADDED: I made a mistake. The Starbucks blend I tried was their "Veranda" blend, not the Verona...

Quote: “...The Starbucks blend I tried was their "Veranda" blend, not the Verona...”

Oh my, well the Veranda is the total opposite of the dark roasts being light and soft.

For a long time, Starbucks Sumatra was my favorite. The children knew that, and so I would get a pound for my birthday, etc.

We lived in Louisiana in the 80's and I acquired a taste for Community coffee. I got a hankering for some recently, and I went looking for it. I ended up ordering some through Walmart, and it was shipped to the house free. I threw in a couple of bags of CDM, and decided the CDM was better for my palate.

I am drinking a lot of CDM these days. I did get two pounds of Sumatra for Christmas, and they are almost gone.

At work I drink the Honduran free trade coffee that we buy, and it is quite good.

Coffee Beans Direct. Costa Rican Tarrazu, or August 2017 Roast. December 2018 Roast is really good. Colombian for a change of pace. I use a pour over method with the Chemex coffee maker. Fresh ground beans. Grandfather's Blend is good but pricey.

Whole beans ground fresh and steeped in a French Press.

I just get Publix's Greenwise French Roast normally but will splurge for a local roasters beans on occasion. For as much coffee as I drink I'm pretty ignorant in regards to varietals. I should change that.

I'm not fanatical about my coffee, but I absolutely understand how someone can be. I can't allow myself yet another obsession in details. Coffee, like tobacco and whiskey and etc, can be as complex as you are open to it being. Very cool stuff. Having said that...

Prefer a french press or espresso. I admit I'm one of those unsophisticates who likes the burnt flavor of beans. Italian or French. I did toy with cold brewing a while ago. It might not change your world, but I did enjoy the fact that it does change the flavor vs hot or steam brewing. I found it to be an interesting exercise. If you're a backpacker, hiker, backcountry hunter, or someone who has a hobby where trimming weight is necessary because your world is carried on your back, cold brewing might be something of interest to you.

Surprisingly, Sam's Club now carries a decent bean. Verena Street Coffee Co? It's not world class, but it isn't standard grocery store coffee either. 2LBs for around $12? I'm not a member. I was gifted a couple bags.

I really enjoy cold brew in the summer, mixed with a little bit of sweetened condensed milk. Mmm so good. Yea I can pretty fanatical about my coffee sometimes.

Standard grocery store coffee? Well yeah, they still sell Folgers and Maxwell House, etc. But there’s also a WALL of good coffee roaster blends as well...Starbucks, Peet’s, Seattle’s Best, Tully’s...etc. Of course there are others, maybe depending on one’s geography. I guess I kind of divide the grocery store stuff into its container material...metal or plastic is low level...coated/paper bags are a step up. We do go to one “designer” grocery cause that’s where out pharmacy is. They have the Grand Central breads (plus twenty other bakeries) and the beer and wine walls...200 craft level ales, etc. And the big coffee thing...with about 80 whole bean blends from maybe 25 local and regional roasters. For between $12 and $18 per pound you get pretty fair coffee.

Am I a coffee snob? No, of course not. I just like a good cup, and you can either drink stuff that you have to force down or something akin to ambrosia.

Just because I put a 40 cal. Tablespoonful of Torani Salted Caramel syrup in my vanilla protein breakfast shake I’m in no way a foodie. I could live on MREs if I needed to.

Blackhorse":v8eii2t7 said:
Standard grocery store coffee? Well yeah, they still sell Folgers and Maxwell House, etc. But there’s also a WALL of good coffee roaster blends as well...Starbucks, Peet’s, Seattle’s Best, Tully’s...etc. Of course there are others, maybe depending on one’s geography. I guess I kind of divide the grocery store stuff into its container material...metal or plastic is low level...coated/paper bags are a step up. We do go to one “designer” grocery cause that’s where out pharmacy is. They have the Grand Central breads (plus twenty other bakeries) and the beer and wine walls...200 craft level ales, etc. And the big coffee thing...with about 80 whole bean blends from maybe 25 local and regional roasters. For between $12 and $18 per pound you get pretty fair coffee.
Absolutely agree. There's some fine tasting stuff at your grocery store. Heck, even Aldi has a decent ground bean. I do think it is regional. My area doesn't seem to have much of a taste for stronger flavored beans. I see the more robust blends sit and sit and sit, and then eventually, the retailers discount and remove them from the shelves. I go to other areas, and the medium roasts or the sitters, while the robust blends are heavily trafficked. Interesting how that works too.