What's your favorite coffee?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
SWMBO and I enjoy mostly French Press coffee/s. I roast my own beans...usually gotten at Sweet Maria's like BH!! I also use CDM and Café Bustelo to add a bit of a punch to the brew. We order a lot of Albuquerque's New Mexico Pinon coffee beans; great blends and flavors. Google them, check them out. So many coffees, so little time!! :cheers: FTRPLT

Fr_Tom":llzhvoyc said:
Simple Man":llzhvoyc said:
CDM = Cafe Du Monde? Doesn't that have chickory in it?
This is an off brand Cafe du Monde. It has chicory in it, but then so did the Community coffee we drank in Louisiana.
OK, years ago I used to buy Luzianne coffee with chickory.

I feel like I should add that for anyone thinking, "This all sounds like far too much trouble," there are plenty of do it yourself hacks that cost little or nothing. For those interested in minimalist, hiking, cold brew, and other simple-feed techniques, you can use the top of a 2-liter bottle and a coffee filter. For those who are piqued to roast beans, there are youtube tutorials how to use an air popcorn popper to roast beans. Or to use a cast iron skillet to roast beans. I'm sure there are hundreds of these type ideas floating around the internet. I'm tempted with the air popcorn popper method. The only one I've personally tried is the 2-liter bottle/filter method for both cold brewing (you do it in the refrigerator) and backpacking purposes. It works well, and it costs (and weighs) nothing.

Also realize, for every do it yourself hack, there is an entire group of people who feel that hack is blasphemy. To each their own. Coffee has its zealots and cults. For certain.

Coffee with chickory reminds me of the many ways that people used to make the coffee supply stretch in the past.  This was especially prevalent during the American Civil War.  Other methods included roasting various seeds such as okra.  

I really like Cafe Du Monde especially with the beignets! I also am very partial to the Seven Hills Sumatran blend available in locally at Jungle Jim's.

I have used a civil war metal canteen with some nail holes punched into it with some success over a bed of coals...

This is turning out to be a great thread!  Keep the posts coming!

Zeno, Aldis? Really?  I guess I'll have to go there with my wife the next time she goes food shopping! :affraid: :lol:

Hmm, our closest Aldis is over 30 miles from where we live!  But then again, it gives me the opportunity to go to Menards! :D

OK...singles of:

Cafe Du Monde Coffee Chicory, 15 Ounce Ground via Amazon Prime and...

Community Coffee Ground New Orleans Blend 20 oz., and...
Community Coffee Ground Coffee and Chicory 12 oz., direct from Community Coffee...

ARE ON THE WAY!

Yeah...same page I ordered from.  Somehow I created an order for a Cafe du Monde coffee mug.  Good thing I noticed so I could cancel it.  I mean, I’d LOVE a CdM mug...but there’s gotta be is a line SOMEWHERE.  lol

Oh man... I have a hard enough time selecting pipe tobacco to buy. I'll be darned if I'm going to start ordering coffee... no I'm not, NO, NO, I'm not going to buy coffee...Oh, well maybe....

Corncobcon":9c13rter said:
Oh man... I have a hard enough time selecting pipe tobacco to buy.  I'll be darned if I'm going to start ordering coffee... no I'm not, NO, NO, I'm not going to buy coffee...Oh, well maybe....
Just give in, it's easier that way :lol!:

I am way less of a coffee snob than a tobacco snob. I still buy big sacks of Peet’s coffee usually whatever is on sale, and make a pot of drip with a brown paper filter. I am always pressed for time in the morning so I stopped grinding my own beans. Anyway, I drink it strong and black. I have my measurements down and I use filtered water. I find that’s been the key to making a pot that’s to my liking.

Any of you home roasters using an original Behmor 1600 and if so, did you upgrade the panel? I find it difficult to 1 lb roast dense, hard beans. Last batch was Sumatra Raja Batak Peaberry and it was difficult to get to a Full City+. Best I could do was Full City/City. I'm curious is upgrading the panel would improve the roast profiles.

GeoffC":rcv50xta said:
Any of you home roasters using an original Behmor 1600 and if so, did you upgrade the panel?   I find it difficult to roast 1 lb roast dense, hard beans.  Last batch was Sumatra Raja Batak Peaberry and it was difficult to get to a Full City+.  Best I could do was Full City/City.  I'm curious is upgrading the panel would improve the roast profiles.

Anybody, any Behmore, any panel...is going to find it difficult to roast a whole pound of anything to a dark roast in that machine. I have the upgraded model and wouldn’t try what you’re trying to do.  Cut your weight to 3/4 lb or 1/2 lb and you’ll have much better results.

D.L.Ruth":gvcmf3iy said:
I have the 1600+ don't normally roast dark. I do tilt the front of the machine up and seems to help the roast.
I have the same machine. How far up do you tilt it up? What’s that doing? I’ve found that if I wave a cupping spoon over the Roaster right when you have to hit start the second time the beans all come out sparkly.