What's your favorite coffee?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I love some good coffee!  I prefer to do pourovers with a Chemex or Kalita, but a french press gets used too. For beans I usually order from Counter Culture Coffee. When nothing sounds good I'll order from Olympia coffee. Even coming from the west coast, they normally have them to me within 3 days of roasting. And to the horror of coffee snobs, I'll  even drink them now and then with fresh cream and sugar lol.

Got the Cafe du Monde yellow can Coffee and Chickory in this afternoon. Good Grief, now I actually have to try it.  OK, be brave. Loaded up my little treasure...a Hamilton Beach single serve brewer...put in the cold water and two measures of dark, rich smelling grounds (hey, this actually smells pretty good) and fired ‘er up.  Done, I sipped a few times just to see, then added a healthy dose of milk (maybe 1/8 of the big mug I use.  Dang me boys, if this ain’t some really good joe.  Definetly the best I’ve had out of a metal can...ever.  Rivals a great many big name brands on their city roast (darkish) blends.  What a well presented combination...deep full flavor, a healthy bitter bite, but soothing smoothness, chocolate nutty undertones, rustic character.  Like some jungle Sumatra blends or micro-lots.  I cannot convey how totally amazed I am.  I had low expectations...they have truly been blown out of the water.  It’s absolutely wonderful.

Just for fun I looked up a description of a Sumatra coffee flavor profile.  

Check this out: “Despite a subdued acidity the tastes are complex and intense, and a chocolate sweet flavor often holds earthy undertones. Notes of licorice may also be present. Sumatra coffee captures the wild jungle essence of this tropical Indonesian island. A great Sumatran is creamy, sweet with a touch of butterscotch, and spice.”

That’s pretty close to what I get. I’m smiling.

Sumatran coffee is naturally low in acid. We use it frequently. For those with a "tender" tummy toward anything acidic, this is a fine choice. And, you give up nothing on flavor & taste!! :cheers: FTRPLT

Fr_Tom":rehsle24 said:
Blackhorse":rehsle24 said:
I liked the Cafe du Monde coffee & chicory so much I ordered it in decaf...for an after dinner brew.
Excellent! I am glad that was a good recommendation for you...

I am quite surprised.  I think it’s excellent - and I’m a ‘roast your own’ coffee snob.  

The experience of the first mug, brewed strong-ish with a dollop of added milk, was akin to Dorothy inside her Sepia tinted Kansas house, opening the door to peer outside with great caution...and discovering technicolor Oz.

https://youtu.be/x6D8PAGelN8

Like all brews the ratio of ground coffee to water is critical. I think maybe moreso. I think I’m getting close on the Cafe du Monde reg and decaf. The Community C&C needs more work. I also got a bag of Community New Orleans Blend which has no Chocory...but got a bag of 100% roasted chicory too. Fun will be had experimenting.

Whoa.  Brewed a cup of the Community New Orleans Blend and it’s an eye opener.  They used to put chicory in this blend, but not any longer.  It’s b100% coffee.  And the absence of the chicory is notable. This is much more coffee forward & less “Sumatra rustic”, far brighter, not as dark roast flavored, no cocoa...so very in-chicory...but a very, very good cup.

Then, I’m nosing around, looking at other Community Coffee items, and come up with this...three bags of their signature blend dark roast, shipped, for under $12.  Whaaa?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/232969147748

I put an order in.

I just saw a tv commercial for Community Coffee while watching a bb game! The next time I'm in town I'll look around and see if someone carries the brand. Thanks to BH for the info. Unfortunately, I don't do Ebay any more.

Just picked up a couple cans of the Cafe Du Monde. I’ll report back on my findings. Smells seriously good.