What's your favorite pipe book?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smokey422

Reaction score
I've got a few, including Hacker's 21st Century Pipe Smoking (great beginner book), Carl Ehwa's The Book of Pipes and Tobacco (very good and the best I've seen on tobacco), Alfred Dunhill's The Pipe Book, Peter Stokkebye's book, but I think my favorite is Rick Newcombe's In Search of Pipe Dreams. I'm reading it again for the third or fourth time. What's your favorite?

Smokey

Just finished Hacker's 21st Century book. I found it excellent. In spite of 6 years of pipe smoking, membership of several forums, I learnt a lot.

My all-time favorite, in addition to the fine books mentioned, is Georges Herment "The Pipe". Herment was a poet and a real Renaissance man coming out of WWII who lived on a houseboat in England and wrote with real affection about pipes and tobacco. Well worth the effort in finding the book. I would also recommend Hacker's "Christmas Pipe". Great anecdotal information., and fun to read. While I don't always agree with hacker, the "Christmas Book" is outstanding, and, again, written with real love for our past time.

This question's easy. :D

The Illustrated History of the Pipe by Alexis Liebaert and Alain Maya. Nothing else like it that I've ever seen. Comprehensive, well written, and superbly illustrated.

The only ones that I have had the pleasure to own and read are "The Book of Pipes and Tobacco", "Rare Smoke" by Hacker and "My Lady Nicotine". I find myself using Hacker's book as more of a reference guide and the other two I really enjoy just reading through. My Lady Nicotine is a lot of fun!