What's Your "Go To" Blend.

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RoyOdhner

Reaction score
Since I discovered internet tobacco venders like 4noggins, I've had the opportunity to try pipe tobacco blends that at one time I thought I'd never get an opportunity to try... and many a blend that I never knew existed. I've also been able to save quite a bit of cash in the process, and I've been fortunate enough to be able to try blends that I never thought I'd be able to afford.

So many blends out there... so many genres... so many blending houses... so many candidates for the cellar. Come to think of it, I'd never heard of a tobacco cellar until I discovered the internet - and I have been building a cellar ever since. I now have so much pipe weed I occassionally worry that Isengard will dispatch some Orc raiding parties to seize my cellar. (Fortunately, I also cellar .38 Special, 9x17, 9x18, and 9x19 ammo so I'm ready for 'em).

Anyhow, with all this wonderful variety readily available, I still find myself gravitating to basic Burley and VaBur blends. MacB factors heavily, as does GH and SG - and OGS, and Erinmore, and Pete IF, and SWR, and CH, and Granger. I thought about this, and wondered why. Near as I can figure, it's all the fault of my late Uncle Danny. He was a pipe smoker, and was never without his two trusty cobs and a pouch of Granger or Velvet. He was also my pipe mentor, and he taught me the basics of how to smoke a pipe. It's not surprising that way back in 1979, Granger was the first pipe tobacco that I ever bought. Bought it to fill a Dr G pipe, I did.

Danny's ghost and the wonderful memories I have of smoking Granger while camping in the Pocono Mountains, I'm sure, have influenced my choice of blends - and almost 40 years after first smoking a pipe, the blends that I find I favor are bascially Granger-like blends. Nothing overly complicated or nuanced, or expensive. Blends with tin/room notes that are warm and comforting instead of intense or exotic, and that require little preparation. (Except for the flake blends that I like, and I wouldn't say that fully rubbing out a flake is all that complicated a procedure).

Why do I like them so much? it's because they're not complicated or expensive. I can enjoy them all day long, without going broke or having to devote a whole lot of effort into sifting for nuance or proper technique. Just stuff (preferably using the "Codger Scoop" method), tamp, char, tamp again, and light. Sure, I have many other more exotic or more "exclusive" blends that I smoke, but I don't smoke them all the time because then they would cease to be special... just a couple of times per week, when I feel the urge for something a bit more refined. Another factor is that they take me back to a time when my life was less demanding, and the world seemed bigger and happier.

So, what are your favorite blends? And why are they your favorties? How long have you been smoking them, and how did you come to the conclusion that they are your favorites.

I have always held to the maxim that variety is the spice of life, so I'm happiest when I have a variety of tobacco and fine whiskey to choose from. That said, there are some pipe tobaccos that have become favorites.

Mac Baren HH Old Dark Fired is probably my current favorite. It's my go-to blend at the moment. I find it to be delicious and smooth. I also really like the Kentucky Bold, and if I'm in the mood for something harder hitting and heavier I pack a bowl of that.

Stonehaven is also rather delicious. My dad made me a pipe for my birthday in March and so far the only tobacco I've used in it is Stonehaven. It's been a hot minute since I've had a bowl of that, so I may need to remedy that after work today. I also enjoy GL Pease Sixpence quite a bit, and it's a blend I like more every time I smoke it. A newer blend I really enjoy is Russ Oulette's FireStorm.

There are plenty more I love, and I tend to prefer flake over ribbon cut. A good english blend is fine as well, and so far it seems I smoked English blends more in the winter. Much how I prefer stouts in the winter as opposed to the summer.

I, too, like the codger blends as a "go-to." You don't have to think before loading a bowl--just load and go. Call it an absence of nuance that makes them appealing. And LBF could easily qualify, but recently EGR has displaced it, at least until the tub is gone.

Hmm, that's a tuff one. Let me think.................Escudo? ;)

No hab "go to" blend! I'm a Lathead primarily; but have a large "collection" of Ginnyweeds (straight, VaPer, VaBur,) Orientals (no latweed), and Burley (mostly straight, but some mixed). I don't "do" aros, but do enjoy Bob's Choc. Flake & The Mayor's Choc. Flake. I also have a goodly stash of the old Troost Slices which I enjoy on an infrequent basis. That's my story and I'm stickin' to it :p :p :cheers: FTRPLT

I have a favorite in these genres of tobacco.

Straight Va. - McClelland 5100 Red Cake

VaPer - Orlik Golden Sliced tied with Former's Cross Grain Flake

Burley - Carter Hall mixed 50/50 with Sir Walter Raleigh

English - Dunhill Durbar

Balkan - C&D Super Balkan

Scented Lakeland - GH&Co. Grasmere - I have DrT999 to thank for my introduction to Lakeland tobacco. He sent me several samples a couple of years ago and after trying them I was hooked. Thanks "T"                                                

Unscented Lakeland - GH&Co. Dark Flake - I believe Blackhorse encouraged me to try Dark Flake, it's one of my favorite smokes and I like to add it to other blends to enhance their taste and strength. Thanks Dave.

Aromatic - Scotty's Trout Stream

They all have 2 characteristics that I must have in my tobacco. They taste sweet and they don't bite my tongue.  :)

AJ

From the early '70s thru the mid to late '80s when it began to drastically change, the much vaunted BS 759 was my "daily weed" of choice and I smoked a lot of it back then!! By then I had encountered the Ginny Weed MASTERS up in KC and had found my new 'baccy, Red Va Ketchup 'baccy !! ( It don't really smell or taste like ketchup but I'm just going along with my expert bros here who tell us so :twisted: :twisted: ) Now days I basically have two McC Red Va blends/mixture I daily smoke, FM 2000 and 5100RC ! If this was all available for me to smoke for the rest of my smoking life, I would be a happy old dog!! :twisted: :twisted:

When I left for Austin, I brought 5 pipes and ample supplies of Three Friars and Pegasus. These two have been my "go to's" this week.

I have missed the LNF, ODF and Vintage Syrian, but really I have been happy with this decision..

Last year when I went to Virginia for a week I took PS Pressed Burley and ODF.

Don't really have a "go-to" blend as such since I like to ring the changes.

However I probably reach for 2015 (w/15% added perique) and 5100 more than anything else on a weekly basis.

Cheers,

RR

I don't have one.

But lately it's been a host of burley mixtures. Haunted Bookshop, Old Joe Krantz & Breckinridge. Been smoking some Grasmere and No.7 Broken Flake as well.

stapf":60frlevh said:
C and D Kajun Kake.  
I've been smok'en that one lately and it's pretty durn good, except it's a pain to get it packed right.

I enjoy a variety of different blends. The only category not on my list would be topped or flavored tobaccos, and especially any blend that quickly bites my tongue.

However, no matter what blends are in my active rotation at any given time, there will always be a tin of well aged Christmas Cheer open, and within easy reach.

Cartaphilus":dr8aqhzq said:
stapf":dr8aqhzq said:
C and D Kajun Kake.  
I've been smok'en that one lately and it's pretty durn good, except it's a pain to get it packed right.
Yeah, the crumble kakes can be a hassle to smoke because of airways getting plugged up. I absolutely love C&D Night Train, but it's the same thing.

Without a doubt, my main go-to is PS LBF. It just works for me. And I can get more LBF than Cart can of Escudo for the same price. :cheers:

MisterE":r68ilpeb said:
And I can get more LBF than Cart can of Escudo for the same price. :cheers:
I don't know MisterE, Ron just got a lifetime supply of Escudo dropped on him, he might have you beat there. :p

My stock answer here is always GL Pease Telegraph Hill.

Although, after spending some time with it over the past few weeks, J. Patton's Oriental Dusk is a strong (VERY strong) contender.

idbowman":csn55fbb said:
Although, after spending some time with it over the past few weeks, J. Patton's Oriental Dusk is a strong (VERY strong) contender.
It's a damn shame 4noggins doesn't blend it anymore.

I would say I have three I keep coming back to: GH Brown Flake Unscented, GH Grasmere Flake, and Peterson Irish Flake. All fairly different (other than being flakes)

Stokkebye Pressed Burley (aka PS702, aka Uhle's blend 00). It is the tobacco version of comfort food for me.