What's Your "Go To" Blend.

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For the crumble cakes like Kajun Kake I have the best results when I mostly pre crumble it in my tobacco pouch a day ahead or so. I tend to keep half a cake in there and crumble off about 2 smokes worth and then after I fill my pipe, crumble out some more to mix with it. I've just shoved chunks in my pipe before and that occasionally works, but not often. Crumbling as I use usually is too wet as well.

Back to the topic, now that I have my order in from Peretti, I may have some new go to baccys. Dundee is standing out so far, but I haven't gotten to Royal or Tashkent (sp) and that is only after 1 bowl of each of the others.

Caliope's Choice is tops, with McC's 5120 topped with a tad of Dark Star...

For the longest time I would only smoke OTCs. I would scour the flea markets and junk shops looking for old unopened tubs. My favorites in no particular order were half and half from the 30's, PA from the 40's and good old SWR. After I got associated with the folks here I expanded my horizons. Currently I'll smoke anything at least a few times to see if I like it. Or decide exactly why I don't. The one I keep coming back to now is a Scottish mixture done up in the shop by my local tobacconist called St Andrews. My son calls it burning horse farm! Sweet as candy but enough lat to keep the bugs at bay. Lots of great tobacco flavor too. It reminds me of the tobacco I started out with. It was a natural twist tobacco ordered from Crazy Crow back before the credit card companies put a stop to being able to use your card to order tobacco. Wish I could find another source for that stuff....it was my favorite.

Jim

I can't pick. ODF and BBF are up there, but I've been loving lakelands lately, Brown Flake Scented in particular.

Milan Chartwell hands down. I smoke more of this than anything else. When I moved here and ran out of Tobacco Cove Prime Minister this became my regular smoke. English blends will always be my go to.

Puff Daddy":zmrwrhyc said:
Stokkebye Pressed Burley (aka PS702, aka Uhle's blend 00). It is the tobacco version of comfort food for me.
An indication of your good taste... I am also a fan. It is a solid, no-nonsense smoke that delivers.

I perused my piper's diary and my "go to" blends include: Prince Albert, Plumcake, Lane's Hazelnut (never had a bad smoke and all my pipes seem to like it) and HoW's Revelation of which I still have a dwindling supply cellared. They are (or were) fairly priced, dependable, low maintenance, consistent blends that I can always count on for a relaxing forty-five minutes or so. The list could continue, since I've inexorably gravitated toward old friends and don't seem to be as welcoming to newcomers as the years pass. So it goes.