When A Sale Isn't

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RSteve

Reaction score
I'm quite certain many at BoB received an email from Pipesandcigars.com at time signature 2:03 pm today announcing a sale of 1 lb. quantities of Peter Stokkebye bulk tobacco. From the email, paraphrasing: A 1 lb. bag of tobacco usually $33.76, but now $29.99.
All English blends and flakes are out of stock. Was there really a sale?

Was there really a sale? Always a valid question. Can’t tell you how many online e-sale flyers I got that advertised deep sales for multiple items that had already been sold out.

But I think I’d rather talk about the great scores I found as opposed to the rip-offs.

I did find a couple of good scores though. One was a present for my wife...a Nickel plated Walther PPK/S pistol for about $275. Regular price is $400 or so. The other is a present for ME! It’s a Colt Peacemaker (Single Action Army) Pellet Revolver w rifled barrel. I paid $125 while it’s regularly over $150. Of course, I got totally screwed buying ammunition...but that’s another story. In reality I was darn lucky to find any at all in today’s screwy world.

Can’t tell you how many online e-sale flyers I got that advertised deep sales for multiple items that had already been sold out.
It doesn't bother me when this occurs with a printed catalog, because, of course, they're planned and printed in advance. But, for an email to go out, and significant inventory is out of stock on the day the email is sent shows poor marketing management.

Bait for the hook!
What I, on principle, find particularly annoying. Any number of the vendor's customers order via telephone. There are times you can phone and sit on hold for a ridiculous amount of time, then be informed, "Sorry, we're out of stock on that item."

Pays to shop. Recently got an ad, email, from tobaccopipes.com saying Stokkebye tobac on sale. Every one I looked at was higher than p&c's reg price???

I noticed that, too. And P&C's 30 cents off a tin deal on Hansom Flake was silly. I've seen prices raised on blends, and then seen the discount end up barely being below the pre-sale price at some places. E-tailers who do that should know we are paying attention to that.