When is it time?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ranger107

B of B Supporter
Reaction score
Our little girl, Gracie, was diagnosed with lymphoma 2 years ago Xmas. We did the chemo, which was hard on her, but after a couple of months she seemed to be getting better. She's been getting worse the last couple of months. The last few days she stopped eating unless we hand feed her. She wanders around the house and sometimes flops down on the floor because she can't stand. At night when I take her out to pee she will wander around the yard for several minutes like she forgot what she came out to do. Vet says she has "doggie dementia". She's the sweetest little girl and we hate to lose her but we want to do what is best for her. We both will have a hard time with this but we realize it may be her time. The photo is her lying on the bed with her head on Molly, our other Shitzu. I pray that we are making the right decision.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211115-084629_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20211115-084629_Gallery.jpg
    775.6 KB · Views: 83
Hate this for you and your wife. Our fur babies are totally precious to us; the end-of-life decision is heart wrenching. When she quits eating/drinking on her own plus becomes incontinent, you'll know it's time. My heart felt blessings to all of you. Just went thru this Sunday a week ago. My big kitty Tux came down with some damn infection; he passed away quietly in the night. I miss him terribly!! FTRPLT

Hate this for you and your wife. Our fur babies are totally precious to us; the end-of-life decision is heart wrenching. When she quits eating/drinking on her own plus becomes incontinent, you'll know it's time. My heart felt blessings to all of you. Just went thru this Sunday a week ago. My big kitty Tux came down with some damn infection; he passed away quietly in the night. I miss him terribly!! FTRPLT
Sorry to hear about Tux. We have made the decision. Vet is coming on Wed to put her to rest. We know it's for the best but wife can't stop crying and I am fighting back tears trying to be strong. My mind keeps going back to days past when she would lay in my lap on chilly winter mornings wrapped in a blanket, her head resting on my arm. I am going to miss her so much.

All living things die, of course. It’s natural. Maybe the most natural thing in the world. I think if you take life as a miracle and death as inevitable then you have a healthy approach. Your question of when is it time relates. It sounds like you’re really asking when is the best time for the dog. Most people operate on the level of…when is it most convenient for me? I used to think that looking at it from the dog’s perspective was right…like asking the dog if they want another day, week, etc. or to just go now and be done with it. But I realized that I was still looking at it as a human. Dogs don’t plan ahead. They just take days as they come, as an endless stream, until they’re asleep, permanently. So I think that if you asked a dog if they wanted to go today or later they would give you that little head twist that means…what you talkin’ bout Willis? A dog doesn’t have a problem wandering around outside, having forgotten why she came out. But if she’s not eating or drinking it’s kind of like the hospice routine. The body can’t be sustained that way and they’re already on that final path. That’s the point at which I’d think it was the time. In hospice care people are given drugs to alleviate pain, suffering, etc. Dogs don’t get that kind of care so in order to prevent physical suffering I would intervene…like you are doing.

A question of equal importance, in a way, is what to do to support the one that’s left behind…if there still is one there. It can be very traumatic for a dog. Replacing the one that’s gone might be a consideration. But surely more activity, places where he might be around others of his kind. You might find he “adopts” a different species animal as a replacement buddy. That would be healthy…so long as it’s not a Rhino or a Giraffe that wants to live inside.

In any event, regrets for you all. Time will heal.

Best thoughts to your family. So rough. Always tough. To answer the question, dogs have always been a part of my life, and I consider myself lucky that each time, when the time came, I just knew it was time. Very little laboring over the decision. I think it came down to a few things: 1) Did I do everything possible? It sounds like you have. 2) Did they have a good life? It sounds like she did. 3) Time for the love to take action and go beyond words. No more pain for them, and now it is time to shoulder that pain for them. Them above us.

I feel your pain. Only once in my life have I had to put a dog down. He had terminal cancer. It was over 50 years ago and it still troubles me. You are doing the humane thing.

Both you and your wife came to the same conclusion and your vet didn't have an alternative. You're doing what's best for your friend, time will leave the best memories.

We had made arrangements for the vet to come to our house on wed. Wife called me at the ranch couple of hours ago, said she just could not bear to watch her suffer any longer, so going to the vets office at 4 to put her to rest. Wife is torn up. I'm still fighting back the tears which I know will come with her final passing, but it is the best for her. We did everything we could to make her last days comfortable, but she has reached a point where the drugs are no longer working and we know it's time. Yes, may have to get another dog as she and Molly have been constant companions almost since day 1. Thank you all for caring.
Rest in peace little sweetie

Attachments

• 20210106_113736.jpg
    20210106_113736.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 68
Sorry to hear this. We had to put ours down almost a year ago and it was absolutely awful. It crushed my wife, she had gotten him during my first deployment, she was super attached to him. I wish you all the best in this rough time.

I feel your pain Ranger. I've had to do the same deed a good few times in my past and it's always a gut wrenching decision, even when it's obvious that the quality of life is suffering.

No Cheers,

RR

Thank you all so much for your kind words, your caring and support. Molly is sweet and loveable too, but Gracie held a special place in my heart because she was "my little girl". I feel empty knowing she will never again crawl up on my chest to lick my face in the morning. Will never again hold her in my lap on a chilly winter day. I will get through it in time. But I will always miss her.

Thank you all so much for your kind words, your caring and support. Molly is sweet and loveable too, but Gracie held a special place in my heart because she was "my little girl". I feel empty knowing she will never again crawl up on my chest to lick my face in the morning. Will never again hold her in my lap on a chilly winter day. I will get through it in time. But I will always miss her.
She's waiting for you at the Rainbow Bridge!!!! FTRPLT

She's waiting for you at the Rainbow Bridge!!!! FTRPLT
I really hope so. Thought you guys, and gals, might enjoy a pic of our fur babies. This was taken before Gracie was diagnosed with cancer. Molly on the left and Gracie on the right. Molly, thank God is still with us.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211116-191042_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20211116-191042_Gallery.jpg
    820.9 KB · Views: 66