When is it time?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We understand the pain you are having now. We have to put them down had a Brittany, two Labs, two Setters, a Dachshund, a Wirehaired Pointing Griffon and another Dachshund 16.5 years that we will go to have to be put down soon. Keep up you chins and look for a better dog soon.

We understand the pain you are having now. We have to put them down had a Brittany, two Labs, two Setters, a Dachshund, a Wirehaired Pointing Griffon and another Dachshund 16.5 years that we will go to have to be put down soon. Keep up you chins and look for a better dog soon.
Might look for another dog as a companion for Molly but I don't think we will ever find a better one.

Oh man Ranger, it sure is hard to lose a pet. They just have a way of lodging themselves into our hearts. She looks like an absolute gem. You’ve given her a wonderful life, took care of her when she was sick, and made the best decision for her (and you) when it was clear she wouldn’t recover. I know that doesn’t take the pain away, but it will help in the future as you think about the bright days with her.

Praying for you.

Ranger,
take your time,slowly recover from your loss,When you and your wife are ready, do some research on a new family member! I presently have a newfie and a rottie and a rescue dog gotten from a shelter. While the two pedigree dogs are fine animals,That rescue dog is an amazing watch dog and does not miss anything going on within my property and she is half the size of the other two dogs. I will always try to get a rescue dog first,to save them from being destroyed,but you need to be careful too,because some of these dogs have been mentally and physically abused!
Our rescue was roughly six months old when we got her and has been great.

Ranger,
take your time,slowly recover from your loss,When you and your wife are ready, do some research on a new family member! I presently have a newfie and a rottie and a rescue dog gotten from a shelter. While the two pedigree dogs are fine animals,That rescue dog is an amazing watch dog and does not miss anything going on within my property and she is half the size of the other two dogs. I will always try to get a rescue dog first,to save them from being destroyed,but you need to be careful too,because some of these dogs have been mentally and physically abused!
Our rescue was roughly six months old when we got her and has been great.
EZ, thanks, yes in time we will look for another dog. We can tell that Molly misses Gracie so she needs a companion. We don't want a puppy but an older dog, so a rescue would be perfect for us. Just have to find the right one.

I hope this doesn't come across as crass or rude. When pets die, more so than people, I'm reminded of the great movie The Green Mile. It's Stephen King. Where's the horror there? In the final minutes of the movie, he ties up the whole story in horror: to outlive all the beings we love and to experience the pain of loss infinitum as the main character has been strickened immortal.

Sometimes I think our animal friends know when it's time to leave us. The folks who used to live directly across the street from me had a wonderful chocolate lab from the time he was a puppy. When they weren't going to be home during a full day, they'd usually ask me, after I had retired, to take "Blue" out for a walk and to relieve himself. They were very good to Blue, but rarely walked him any distance. I always would walk him for about an hour along Mississippi River Blvd. When I would open the door to take him out, he was always excited, because he knew we were going for a walk and that I always had a ziplock in my pocket with lukewarm cut-up hot dog treats. After the walk, during decent weather, he and I would sit in their 3-season porch, where he had a dog bed.

As Blue aged, our walks had to be shortened. We'd walk for a while and then he'd just lie down on the grass until he'd rested a bit.
At about 13 or 14 years old, Blue became quite infirm and the decision was made to put him to rest. On the day when he was to be put down, I got a phone call from the owner. Could I watch Blue for an hour while she ran an errand? I did want to see him, but was very sad that they'd decided that he needed to be put to sleep.

Blue had difficulty rising from where he was lying down in the kitchen to greet me. I was certain that he knew what was about to happen later that day. The owner left and Blue struggled to get to the back door. We went out to porch, where he went to his dog bed. Within a few minutes, Blue, on his own, passed away.

Just recalling that day brings tears. I am so thankful that I was with him and that he got to call the shot himself. He'd had a good life. His male owner was a professor on the St. Paul Agriculture Campus of the U. of MN. Blue often went to work with him.

Last edited: