Where Did you Get your Handle?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
-start of boring story-
In 6th grade, there was a Terri, a Terry (female), a Terry (male), and Terrance who went by Terry (me. One day, told to read an assignment aloud exactly as written, I said it was by T (I was probably too lazy to write out my name), so the teacher called me T from then on. Nearly everyone in Junior High & High School called me T, including some teachers. When I dated a friend of mine's younger sister, it took their father a few weeks to figure out that T (allowed in the house) and Terry (forbidden) were the same. (He was NOT happy. . . .)

In college, a fair number of people, esp my frat brothers, called me T. In grade school, my office mates and a few others called me T. So, when I on-line on delphi back in the early 90s, I simply signed posts "T". When folks in one forum learned I had a PhD, I became Dr T.

I started adding the 9's simply because DrT is usually taken. . . .
-end boring story-

DRT = Dead Right There! There's even a line of ammo out there with that moniker.

I have had two nicknames for years. "Deep" has been around, gee, since the early 70's. I always tell people that when they get a phone call from me they will know it's either me or an obscene phone call--my voice is quite deep. No one ever forgets the voice. I can call people out of the blue after 25 years--and they know who I am soon as I speak. The other nickname is "Slick." I have shaved my head since the last 60's. A Navajo friend once posted a pic of me and 3 Navajo men standing outside a bucking chute. He posted it in his office as "Slick and the Injuns." I can still be 100 miles out from his office and have a pickup truck go past me and someone will yell out, "Hey, Slick!"

Brewdude":bitimz77 said:
SweetSmokeLover":bitimz77 said:
In the cigar forums, I'm known as MrsCigarLover. However, since I've started to enjoy pipes and the sweet smoke swirling around me, came up with SweetSmokeLover for this forum.
:bounce:
Hey, I know you from Herfers Paradise. Haven't seen you post there in like forever though. Didn't know you were also a pipe gal, but great to see you here.

Lorraine, isn't it?

:face:
Cheers,
RR
Yep, Lorraine. :D Yes, HP took a direction I didn't like, so I left a while back and left most forums, but missed reading all the info from others and am happy to have found this board to help me learn more about pipes.
:bounce:

dougc905":d8yarjo7 said:
I, on the other hand, have very little imagination. My name is Doug. My surname starts with "c" and I live in the 905 telephone area code.
At least you included the area code. I've adopted the infinitely boring first and middle initials, followed by the surname.

Either that, or part of my subconscious is an expert archer. I'll let you decide.

When I decided to join this forum I was having trouble with wet dottle with some of the blends I was smoking at the time. The moment the web page came up asking for a user name I was thinking "Dang this wet dottle" or something similar, hence... Not very imaginative, I know, but there it is. I never put much thought in my handle names.

"Buckshot" is a nickname that my father gave me when I was very young, probably just home from the maternity ward. It was his pet name for me until he passed away 5 years ago.

Was (still am?) a fan of R. Crumb and Zap comics back in the late 60s, and I thought one of his characters, Mr. Natural, was wise beyond belief. So my moniker is an abriviation of that.

If there's a Junior out there, I'm here to share that wisdom. :lol:

Natch

I've been calling myself Harlock since the late 1980's. Harlock is a Japanese cartoon character invented by Leiji Matsumoto in the early seventies. Just one of the things that warped my little mind as a child.

Brewdude":rhxbe960 said:
Not too complicated-

I brew beer for a living, and I'm male.
Very nice. I've been a homebrewer for quite a few years now. I enjoy it immensely, and it would certainly make for an interesting job!

As to my username, for the sake of brevity I simply took a few letters out of my last name.

Kyle Weiss":y953hp56 said:
szyzk":y953hp56 said:
As to my username, for the sake of brevity I simply took a few letters out of my last name.
Czech or Polish?
Polish and proud, though I've been researching family documents and may have stumbled across a conspiracy concerning Russia and a great-great-Grandfather. Oh, how the fabric of my family's history will be torn asunder! :lol:

szyzk":u87ub4ev said:
Kyle Weiss":u87ub4ev said:
szyzk":u87ub4ev said:
Czech or Polish?
Polish and proud, though I've been researching family documents and may have stumbled across a conspiracy concerning Russia and a great-great-Grandfather. Oh, how the fabric of my family's history will be torn asunder! :lol:
Some of my best friends or Polish! :bounce: :lol: Great drinkin' buddies, the lot of 'em. :lol: It's cool, there's some wonder about my German/Ukraine/Native American background that's been the topic of some family debate as well. :lol:

My favorite cigar. I know, dumb for a pipe forum.

All my other nicknames, outside of a certain context run the gamut of being dorky to downright pretentious. It's embarrassing.

The Maestro is my fave due to being able to pick out the right cigar, food, and people for herfs, but I didn't have the stones to handle the no doubt ensuing and well deserved abuse.

I tend to adopt handles that don't sound like handles. I'm cheeky like that. Sometimes I use my middle name plus the street I grew up on. Other times I like the real names of famous people, i.e. "Archie Leach". My name's not really Kaplan, as anyone who gets the reference to Mr. Leach could tell you, Kaplan simply does not exist.

Well... I like to play guitar. But I could have used numerous Nicknames. My last name is Runk, so you can only imagine the nicknames that come from that. FunkyRunk, Runkinator, Runkelton, Runkster. Than I got called Goober and Bub alot by family. We all have different nicknames. My oldersister is tweetybird, younger sister is stringbean, I'm goober peas, My younger brother is tinkleberry. My younger brothers name is actually Kenneth John, but we have always called him Huck, or Huckleberry. And I rarely get called Zach by family.