Where do we smoke

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bub

Reaction score
I asked a question in another thread (An ethical question) that basically concerned where you smoke your pipe. Some people said that they don't smoke inside out of consideration for others who find tobacco smoke offensive. OK, that is a great answer, but I want to know where do you live? While it was 70 degrees here in Missouri the other day, we also have days when the temperature stays below freezing and the wind blows from the northwest at 20 miles an hour. Hardly a day to step outside and light up a pipe. Let me just say (1) I don't think that you should make others suffer so that you can enjoy a pipe, (2) I would enjoy sitting outside on a star filled evening and smoking a pipe at a comfortable temperature, and (3) I don't want to smoke a pipe when the temperature is the same as the wind speed. I am just curious how other people deal with this problem.
Thanks,
Bub

Hi Bub. When I smoke at home I usually smoke either outdoors or at my desk which is in the living room right next to a large sliding glass door. Even here in California the winters, though mild, are often too cold to sit for an hour or more and enjoy a smoke. I smoke in the early morning when everyone is asleep, with the heater going and the sliding door cracked. Most of the smoke is vented out through the door. Now that I have the grandkids living with me I either abstain from smoking when it's too cold outside or go sit by an open window in the bedroom with the door closed. My indoor winter smoking practices may kick the heat bill up a touch, but not by much.

I live in WA state and if I had to smoke outside I don't think I would smoke a pipe at all. I smoke in my home but I live by myself for the time being. If I had to smoke outside of my home I would have to have a comfortable space to do it in.

My wife is not very pleased that I took up smoking at such a late age. She tolerates it pretty well (doesn't nag me about it, but doesn't buy me little presents like pipe cleaners or tobacco either), and in return I choose not to make smoking in the house an issue.

My smoking is done on either the front or back porch or at Uptown's, if I have some free time. If I have a new tobacco or pipe and just have to try it out but the weather is not agreeable, I will smoke in the garage. The garage is not heated, but there is no wind in there either. The only drawback to this is I come back in the house smelling ("stinking") "like a pipe," according to my wife. Due to this I am greeting with a scrunched up face and I'm not allowed to sit near her; nothing that a good book in the easy chair can't handle, though.

I've taken to smoking in my car now and then since I'm the only one who rides in it. I have had several pipe related mishaps while driving, so I only practice this with certain pipes and on drives where I am familiar with the route.

If I stay in a hotel I will now opt for a smoking room so I can partake of my pipe in comfort.

showme <---who has been known to put on long-johns and sit outside in a falling snow to smoke his pipe

I can faintly hear a country western song about a dude having a bad accident started by a pipe incident in his car--something about seeing the love of his life crossing the street as the pipe dropped from his mouth.

My wife and I both smoke,and we also have three young children.We used to smoke in the house,but when she got pregnant with Lena in '04,we decided to not expose her undeveloped respiratory system to secondhand smoke.We started smoking in the garage or outside in November '04,seven months before Lena was born.
We never considered what was going on with Aryana;she was 8 when I got her,came with the wife.She was ill every other week,with actual blisters in her throat.She was tiny,42 pounds.....anyway,when we quit smoking indoors,Aryana stopped getting sick.In just over 3 years,she has doubled her weight plus,and I can even tell a difference in her ability to learn.
I will never expose another child to tobacco smoke.I don't go along with the smoke-nazi stuff whatsoever;but I smoke....and when I do,it is in the garage,off limits to the kids.
I bought a kerosene heater for the colder days,and have an electric one for the 40ish weather.I have folding chairs,a stereo,and a reading light.
:x The garage used to be sacred man turf-no more....scooters and tricycles are parked next to my Electra-Glide,toys are next to my tool boxes.... :cry: But I draw the line when it is time for my evening bowl-speaking of which,I need to attend to!
Take care,BoBs!
Tony

I don't smoke in the house very often either. As I said in another thread, when I do it is in a room that has a very high vaulted ceiling that I added on to the house a few years ago. I have a pretty decent air purifier that I run and sometimes I use a window fan insert. My wife's eyes become very irritated by smoke even though she does like the aroma (especially Walnut :lol: ), so any of my smoking in the house is a very controlled situation. It doesn't bother her so bad if we are in a large ventilated space and it doesn't seen to bother her as bad if we are walking next to each other outside somewhere. She even comes out to help at our annual pipe show, usually running the registration table but that is in a very large well ventilated facility. I smoke in my Jeep everyday to and from work as I have about 30 miles one way to my office. There are a couple of areas in the facility where my office is that are smoke friendly so sometimes I smoke there. I enjoy stopping by one of the local B&Ms occasionally to sit, smoke and listen to the fellows complain about the government. :lol:

One of the things that really perplexes me, it is common around here now for cigarette smoking to be allowed but no pipes or cigars. I was going to have lunch at a place just a few days ago that allows smoking thinking I was going to eat and then enjoy a good pipe for a little while until I was met with a big sign that said "For the comfort of Our Patrons Please do not Smoke Pipes, Cigars or Clove Cigarettes." :x

I only smoke outdoors, as I don't enjoy the smell of stale smoke in any building, and She Who Must Be Obeyed isn't all that happy about my pipes, but at least doesn't get on me too much for it. Here in Arkieland, it's quite pleasant outside about half the year, summer days are increadably hot, but on a shaded porch with a cold beer or ice tea it's just fine. The few cold months we have aren't that bad (I used to do week long solo snowshoe backpacking treks in Canada, so 20 with a strong wind isn't that bad). What makes my winter pipes often the best is we have a few acres of land, thickly wooded, and I have several fire pits throughout the property, so on a cold day or night I can get a roaring fire going, out of the wind, and it makes my pipe just that much more enjoyable.

I also really enjoy my pipes when I'm backpacking, canoe camping, or just hiking in the woods. At work (teacher) I seldom smoke as there just isn't time and our campus is going tobacco free. Still, I get up early, and either build a small fire or walk around the woods as the sun is rising and have a short half hour pipe with a big mug of coffee. Best part of the day (and usually the best bowl of the day) having some alone time in the woods as the world wakes up. In the evening, I usually have a larger, longer pipe. Two bowls a day just about covers my desires.

Natch

My wife's not very fond of my smoking either. I live in East TN, it can get windy and cold here, but even if it's cold and not windy/rainy/snowy, I'll put on a warm jacket, beanie, and brave the cold. I enjoy smoking in cooler weather more so than warmer, but there's a definite line and when I don't get to smoke, I don't smoke. Always outside, never in her car or my truck. I have heard of smoking in the garage, so that could be a good solution for some, but not for me.

:pipe:

In the winter... I smoke in the garage or my vehicle. DGT comes in handy on especially cold days :D . In the warmer months there is the grand outdoors.

:D Paul

I have the garage all set up for smoking during the cold months. I have a chair or two, a radio, and a small TV out there. I recently set up an old aquarium that I was going to throw out, so now I have some company when I'm out there. I've got a little workbench for tinkering and of course, my matches, pipe cleaners, and ashtray.

When the weather is warm I like to sit outside on the back patio and just stare off into the distance while I smoke a bowl.

Usually on my front porch, or my back porch, which is screened, and offers a nice view of the hills behind my house.

Justpipes, I too am perplexed by the ban on pipes and cigars in smoking sections. I can't stand cigarette smoke, but I don't understand why they would allow that and not allow pipes. However, here in the great state of Tennessee, smoking is now banned altogether in public buildings (not including 21 and over establishments).

Mike

i smoke inside were ever i would like. my wive will even smoke a pipe with me some times. when i smoke cigars they have to go out side.

Most of the time, I smoke on the back deck or in my truck. When it's cold, I have a spot set up in the garage; heater, chair, small table, ashtray and a radio.

gospelman":73y5b2tx said:
However, here in the great state of Tennessee, smoking is now banned altogether in public buildings (not including 21 and over establishments).
Just what I needed: another reason to go into 21 and over establishments! :twisted:

showme

Goodness, listening to you guys I know I have a pretty comfortable situation-I smoke in the house all the time, (nothing better than lighting up a bowl or 2 while listening to jazz). But then, my wife smokes cigarettes so, though she's probably not that fond of some of my blends, she doesn't complain. Now when the grandkids visit, we do limit our smoking to the den with a fan venting through a window to the outside-still allowing me access to the jazz. :D Earl

In Arizona it's a little tough smoking outside when it's 115+ degrees. I have a home office/man cave with a fan that vents outside were I do most of my pipe smoking. This time of year when it is nice outside I will set on the front porch and smoke my pipe and occasional cigar. I refrain from smoking anywhere else in the house. I also like to smoke a bowl on the way home from work.

I have the basement ham shack. Better weather I make full use of the front and back porch. The front is shaded well and comfortable in all but the most humid summer weather. I also have the sheds. I may sit in one while burning old boxes and stuff in the winter time. If I am in the pool, I might have a cigar. Something about hot summer sun and cigars go together pretty nice.

Living room... kitchen.... bedroom.... bathroom... but then, I'm a confirmed bachelor so I can pretty much do what I like in the place I pony up the money for.

That being said, if I had children I'd most likely keep it away from them. I have certain misgivings of raising my children preprogrammed to disdain pipes, though I do fully understand the health concerns. If I had a wife who disapproved, I'm not sure what I would do. Most women that I'm acquainted with use this disgusting stuff every morning while getting ready for the day called hairspray and it seems to me that the cloud of lacquer they(and by proxy ME!!) breathe in can't be much better than tobacco smoke. Some sort of compromise would have to be reached, but I can't see being relegated to smoking in the garage or unfinished basement or behind the tree in the corner of the yard or out in the doghouse with Speedy. Some things are meant to be enjoyed in the comfort of an over-stuffed chair and pipes/baccys, IMHO, are one of those. Maybe I have a skewed(selfish?) perspective because I am terribly bachelorcentric, dunno. :scratch: