Where Do You Get Aged Tins?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JJPHOTO

Reaction score
On Ebay? If so, how are you finding them? I can't seem to find much.

It varies at any given time and there doesn't seem to be many out there right now. I usually just do a search for "sealed tin" and click my way down.

Oh ok, just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something.

I just buy them new and wait. The days are long, the years are short.

If you have a B&M, check the shelves for tins in the back; sometimes a tin can sit in a shop for months or years. As a last resort, there are lots worse things than smoking a fresh tin of good tobacco.

Jack

howellhandmade":8dm4nopd said:
If you have a B&M, check the shelves for tins in the back; sometimes a tin can sit in a shop for months or years.
First thing I did when I got serious about starting a cellar. There are no stores within a good drive from here, but managed to find a couple places. Neither of them carry many tins - it's mostly random bulk stuff. Here's how my conversation went at the last B&M I was in...

"Do you carry any McClelland's?"

"Nope" says the smug punk behind the counter.

"How bout any Presbyterian?"

"Nope"

"GLP?"

"Nope"

"Well, surely you have some C&D?"

"What's that?" says the every increasingly annoyed punk.

I ask, "Well, what do you have?"

Said punk replies with, "We gots some On the Bayou that is da BOMB dude!"

I nodded and went to rummaging through the small stack of random blends. I did manage to find a tin of Midnight Ride which seems to be out of production, so I guess it was worth it after all.

Oh the joys of living in the boonies. :roll:

In all seriousness -- just get a handle on what you like (keep buying, keep smoking, keep enjoying), buy a bunch of it, and wait a couple years before you start tapping your stash.

:face:

I understand. I've driven across Texas a few times, and there are lots of places that are a long way from anywhere. If you ever find yourself in Dallas or Houston I think you'll be able to buy some tins. I think that the difference in aged tobacco makes cellaring worthwhile but you have to balance that difference against disposable income. I'm not trying to talk you out of vacuuming up all the $XXX tins of Balkan Sobranie if you're rich, but a lot of the most noticeable change with aging happens in the first six months, and fresh blends are by no means unpalatable. Sometimes you can get tins with some age at reasonable prices when someone decides to pare his cellar down a bit and posts a list of tins, or maybe someone else will have a real thing for Midnight Ride and offer to trade for it. The longer you're in the game the more opportunities you'll have, just like anything else. If you haven't already, look around www.glpease.com, Greg wrote some nice articles on aging tobacco.

Jack

First thing I did when I got serious about starting a cellar. There are no stores within a good drive from here, but managed to find a couple places. Neither of them carry many tins - it's mostly random bulk stuff. Here's how my conversation went at the last B&M I was in...

"Do you carry any McClelland's?"

"Nope" says the smug punk behind the counter.

"How bout any Presbyterian?"

"Nope"

"GLP?"

"Nope"

"Well, surely you have some C&D?"

"What's that?" says the every increasingly annoyed punk.

I ask, "Well, what do you have?"

Said punk replies with, "We gots some On the Bayou that is da BOMB dude!"

This anecdote made me laugh so hard I almost choked on the EMP that I was smoking at the time. That is hilarious!

Yak":lxc4jsrr said:
In all seriousness -- just get a handle on what you like (keep buying, keep smoking, keep enjoying), buy a bunch of it, and wait a couple years before you start tapping your stash.

:face:
This is sage advice.
Buy as much as you can, as often as you can and within no time you will have aged tins at your disposal.

BTW, I happen to have some aged Arcadia.................if you are interested :twisted:

Muuuuuhahahaahahaha :lol!:

Natch":x6ke6ybs said:
If you've been a good little boy, you can ask your Fairy Godfather, Bruno, to send you some.
Mmmm k. I've been good. Now how do I get a hold of Bruno? :D

I always ravage any tobacconist for aged tins of anything. I've seen some stuff on eBay, but sometimes prices can get outrageous. It would be nice to have a source to start or add to a cellar with aged tins though. I'm an impatient person!

I started cellaring seriously around 03-04. I began with some Dunhill's and McClelland's tins and moved on from there. For a couple of years I budgeted $50.00 per week for tobacco to cellar.Now I buy roughly $100.00 per month to stash away. I made it a point to buy all nonaromatics even though at the time I started I was strictly snmoking full englishes. Now several years later I've moved on to VA's and am SOOOO happy that I had the foresight then to stash plenty of it away. There's really no secret to building a great cellar. Start buying it now! It's never gonna be more plentiful or cheaper than it is today. It will increase in value! If you cellar something you've grown away from you'll still be alble to trade it or sell it down the road for substantially more than your inital investment

Danish_Pipe_Guy":iryqxbqz said:
It will increase in value! If you cellar something you've grown away from you'll still be alble to trade it or sell it down the road for substantially more than your inital investment
Hear, hear! A good portion of my regular purchases nowadays comes from the proceeds / trades of vintage tins. Just today, in fact, sold a few tins of Elizabethan on ebay for about 4x what I originally paid for them and stopped by the BM on the way out to dinner to buy up some 'fresh' GLP tins. Way better return than my stock portfolio, that is for sure.

The idea of cellaring pipe tobacco never occured to me until I got involved with this bunch "way back when!!" Once started (early this decade), I immediately started rummaging through shelves of tins checking for date codes!! I also took the tack of buying several tins, smoking some and cellaring the others. Where I really couldn't determine an aging "date," I just marked the tin with the current date and use that for aging purposes. I also ceased opening any tins for quite a while; using aged bulk instead. I still have some tins from the mid/late 90's; though the majority are from earlier this decade. I never intended to resell any of my tins; although after looking at some of the buy prices going on Ebay, maybe I should reconsider!! Bottom line...Just start buying and put some away, tins and bulk. :cheers: :pipe: FTRPLT

JJPHOTO,

What do you consider as "aged?"

Give us some examples of what YOU are looking for. I'm sure it'll surface here on the board.

The "best" strategy is to buy more than you can smoke. In no time, you'll have a cellar and be in lots of trouble like the rest of us.

There is a lot of good info out there. A lot of "magic" occurs in a relatively short period of time,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,even as little as six months can take the "edges" off a fresh tobacco.

I favor two years on va's and five for latakia blends.

If you find something that you like,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,buy ten tins, open one every six months and experience it AS IT AGES. That's a "fun" thing to do. This strategy especially pleases Pease,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,You may find him sleeping on your floor and begging for table scraps if you do. His blends are all a good choice to stash and respond quite well to ageing. Except for Embarcadero,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,that's just plain diaphanous!

TJ - I was just talking about finding some tins that have a little bit of age on them... a year to five years I guess. Was just mainly making sure there wasn't some magical site out there that didn't only just sell tins of tobacco, but say - tins of tobacco aged at different lengths. You know - when you add to cart you can buy X blend at $8, X blend aged 1 year at $12, X blend aged 2 years at $15, etc.