Where does your money go

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm gonna' take Carlos's list and add: Pipes2smoke, plus Carol @Pipeworks and Wilke for online buys; JR (Statesville and Burlington as we're driving thru to Raleigh) for inshop buying. We do have one or two B&M's here that I frequent on a regular basis. FTRPLT

I don't have a pipe budget any more, so that one's easy.

As for weedage, my top three get the vast majority of my bihnih:
  • Lil Brown — not a huge selection, but absolutely the best prices on the items they do stock
  • SmoPi — Sykes is a true gentleman; their selection is great, and so are their prices
  • Mars — Mike's service is second to none; fabulous selection
...and I occasionally patronize the following fine establishments:
  • Cornell & Diehl — I buy stuff directly from Craig if it's not available elsewhere
  • outwesttobacco.com (formerly Idaho Tobacco...but Rick is long gone)
  • pipesandcigars.com
  • Cup O'Joes
  • www.synjeco.com/pipesandtobaccos — Daniel has some superb tobaccos that are simply unavailable from any other source; alas, the high cost of shipping makes it prohibitively expensive except as a special treat
One place I absolutely will not shop for pipe tobacco any more is JR. They've adjusted their shipping prices so as to make it prohibitively expensive to buy individual tins. They claim their shipping prices are designed to neither make money nor lose money, but that's a pantload. Their prices look great until you factor in the shipping. They've admitted (privately) that handling pipe tobacco is a pain in the ass for them; they only do it as a concession to their cigar-buying customers who also use pipe tobacco, but they really don't care about pipe tobacco or pipe smoking in general. I'm completely convinced. I still buy cigars there occasionally.

Vito :joker:

p.s. Pipeworks and Wilke has some blends that have come highly recommended and I'm looking forward to trying when the supply of round tuits shows up.

The majority of my tobacco comes from Mars Cigars and Smoking Pipes. I also buy from L.J. Peretti, C&D, and Pipeworks and Wilke.
I don't have any local B&Ms, but do buy tobacco from Just For Him when I am in Springfield, MO visiting my granddaughter.

Most of my pipes come from Smoking Pipes and Frenchy's. I also buy pipes from Mark Tinsky, who is my favorite carver. I would have more of his pipes if my budget permitted.

Smokey

For every $100 I spend on pipe tobacco, about $30 is split between Mars and Smoking Pipes.

The other $70 goes to the State of Wisconsin.

I see there are no emoticons showing a pipesmoker bent over.

Tobacco:

Aurora Borealis <my local shop> (twenty to thirty tins per year)
Watch City Cigar Co. Framingham,MA (twenty or thirty tins per year)
Pipesandcigars.com Albany,NY (48 oz bulk per year or more)
E-Bay (only occasionally For Rare/Older Tins)

Pipes:

E-Bay (90% Or More -several per week)
www.thepiperack.com (one or two pipes per year)
Flea markets/estate sales (A couple of pipes every month)

Best,
Dock
:pipe:

For tobacco, 90% at Smokingpipes and pipesandcigars; the other 10% at JR's. Even though I live about a half hour from JRs, buying on the net saves me sales tax and gas. For pipes, it depends on who has the pipe I can't live without; mostly estates.

I had not purchased any pipes in approximately 2 years until a couple of weeks ago and then I bought a couple from Gray Fox Online. Before that I believe the last pipe that I bought was from Mike Brissett.

As for my tobacco I usually go to a JR store either in Burlington or Selma, NC to purchase my Walnut. Walnut is about the only tobacco I have purchased in the last 4 years.

I did go to the Pipe & Pint in Greensboro Friday and I purchased a 100g tin of Dark Strong Kentucky. I was surprised that Larry had any of it left.

I just recently found an awesome site called WV SmokeShop that I ordered some Walnut and Original Rum and Maple from. His prices are even better than Jr's and with the price of gas I am actually saving money by not driving all the way to Jr's to get my Walnut.

Here is the link to WV SmokeShop. http://www.wvsmokeshop.com/

I have only purchased online from Smoking Pipes and Knox. Purchased my father a pipe from SP and added some tobacco to get in on the free shipping. Bean & Briar in Evansville and Clarksville each about 45 minutes away are the closest stores with a substantive pipe tobacco selection. The prices are quite a bit higher than online but when just purchasing one tin it beats paying shipping. The one in Clarksville is also on the way to the in-laws so I get to stop in from time to time.

Tobacco:
- Smokingpipes.com
-Pipesandcigars.com
-JustForHim.com

Pipes:
Lately I have been buying from Gray Fox and Blues Briars.

I would feel silly not to include at least one emoticon: :pipe:

Midnight Blues":yw5jwb3h said:
I did use Cup O Joe's for a while and after I received two dented tins(shipping box arrived in excellent condition) in one shipment and resolution came only after two phone calls with the last call to the store manager I decided to go else where.
Don't you just hate it when they try to pass those dented tins off on you!

I believe that it is actually a conspiracy that is spearheaded by the anti-smoking coalition to destroy the on-line tobacco industry.

In descending order :

Precision Pipe Repair & Restoration

GLP / Smokingpipes and Knox Cigar

eBay housewives selling yardsale pipes

:face:

50% Alberto Bonfiglioli
30% JR Cigar
20% Smoking Pipes.com
???% when I go over board and find some thing else that I can't resist.
Muleskinner

Bumping an old but interesting thread. I have been giving JR Cigar and my local McCranies all my baccy business....about 50/50

Most of my etail buying is done at smokingpipes.com but I spend most of my tobacco and pipe money at Smoky's, my local B&M. I want him to be around for a while and every little bit helps.