Where Have You Been All My Life, Oh Great God Latakia!

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

On being very close to finishing my 12th year of pipe smoking, I wonder why it is that I've just now grown to love latakia. I probably formed a bias by reading that latakia was loved by some and hated by others. Hmmm. . .where does that leave me? My decision was against it. I tried a lat blend occasionally, think that was good but what about this and what about that; and put it down again for a long time.

This year and especially this fall, I've tried to keep an open mind and smoke this tobacco regularly. I'm at the point in my pipe smoking career where new choices/tobacco experiences have considerably diminished. Though I have my favorites and find myself returning to them regularly, I also seek new adventures, latakia the foremost.

I've been rewarded with a huge, complex taste that is really tickling me. And though I vacillate between preparing an order for more of my favorites, I've also went window shopping and listed 20 tins of lat blends to try. This is serious, folks; when I choose in favor of latakia for an order you know something of moment is afoot. Also, this will be the first time in a long time I would order all tins instead of bulk. The variety of this sample will be worth the cost.

To all of you who've been smoking latakia for a long time I say thank you for the warm welcome to the wonder of the dark side!

Latakia is a strange tobacco. It was a full english blend that really opened my eyes to the joys of 'non-aromatic' tobaccos. I couldn't believe how cool it smoked. Fast forward to today, and I find latakia to be very spicy. I still love the stuff, but it has changed to my tastes from when I first tried it.

Hopefully you have grown to like Cyprian Latakia as the supplies of Syrian Latakia are once again going away. From what I've read, because of the fighting there, they are not even growing it anymore. :( :( 

I thought that only the blenders who had a stockpile of Syrian Lat had any, since the early 2000s when the Pease/C&D fire occurred. Also at this time the Syrians stopped production due to the depletion of their forests, the wood used to smoke the tobacco. So I haven't been expecting to find any.

I've only had one Lat blend other then the recent one and it was Squadron Leader which was okay but, didn't really do it for me. The recent one Esoterica Pembroke is a little more complex I believe and maybe even has a bit more Lat in it but, it serves me well having a change in smoke from my regular habit of Vaper's as does Esoterica Dorchester which I think is more like a Aro then a Vaper. Maybe my taste is changing, I haven't a clue, I just know I like it.

alfredo_buscatti":3ag2bvpm said:
I thought that only the blenders who had a stockpile of Syrian Lat had any, since the early 2000s when the Pease/C&D fire occurred. Also at this time the Syrians stopped production due to the depletion of their forests, the wood used to smoke the tobacco. So I haven't been expecting to find any.
They started some production of it in the mid 2000's but now aren't even GROWING any from what I've read. So I guess it's a moot point now . :twisted: 

Welcome to the smooth, relaxing, tasteful, smoky Latweed world. Soooo many good, if not great, blends out here to be sampled!!! Just nothing better in the evening or on a cool day than a good bowl of Latweed in your favorite briar, Meer, or clay. Of course, I smoke it all the time no matter what the weather!!! :D FTRPLT