Where, oh where, have the Burley Flakes gone?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ontariopiper

Reaction score
I'm on the hunt for Solani Aged Burley Flake and/or Wessex Burley Slices, but everyone seems to be perpetually sold out. :(

SmokingPipes, 4Noggins, P&C, Cup o Joes, Mars, Iwan Ries - all sold out as of this writing. Some of these retailers don't even ship to Canada, but I thought I'd look anyway.

Anywhere else I should/could be looking? Are there similar blends out there that are readily available? The tobacco locator on SP.com suggest Peterson's Irish Flake, Stokkebye 1931, and Rattray's Stirling Flake, though the reviews for IF and SF indicate much stronger blends than ABF, and the 1931 sounds more like a Navy flake with black cavendish and burley added than a burley flake.

I've tried one of the four C&D Burley Flake blends and couldn't finish the bowl, so I'm not keen on sampling the other three....

I broke down yesterday and dropped $35CAD on a single 50g tin of ABF at my local B&M, but I can't afford to cellar tins at those prices. I've set up email alerts that should ping me when/if new stock arrives. I'll be stocking up when it does!

Both the Wessex and Solani ABF go through periods where they're out of stock for a spell.

Similar phenomenon to blends like Astley's 44, McConnell Scottish Flake/Cake & F&T Cut VA Plug. Cult following, and when they're restocked, folks panic buy.

I had been looking for both as well and found the Solani at an online shop based in Germany. Price with shipping not great, but not bad if you buy enough to fill a box up. That said, I also really enjoy C&D Burley Flake #3, which I find to be as good if not better than Solani. Burley Flake #1 is also pretty good. I did not care for the #2 and have not tried #4 as yet.

also for ABF, consider contacting Steve Monjure. His company distributes Solani in the states, although his price per tin is a bit higher. Steve is a cool dude. Wonky website but he's the dude. Also a good guy to contact if you're in the market for an Ardor and you desire a specific piece.

Solani ABF has been out of stock for a while now. Have you tried C&D Burley Flake #3? Smokingpipes has it in stock and it's a blend I think you'll enjoy.

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!

Lonecoyote":jl1d0utz said:
Solani ABF has been out of stock for a while now. Have you tried C&D Burley Flake #3?   Smokingpipes has it in stock and it's a blend I think you'll enjoy.
HI LC. I've not tried the #3. I have attempted to smoke C&D's Burley Flake #1 and did not care for it at all. Tasted like dried mushrooms and dust. Ick. I'll need to research the #3 flake before jumping into another in the same line.

ontariopiper":4lo86qt1 said:
HI LC. I've not tried the #3. I have attempted to smoke C&D's Burley Flake #1 and did not care for it at all. Tasted like dried mushrooms and dust. Ick. I'll need to research the #3 flake before jumping into another in the same line.
Do some research on TR and look at the reviews on Smokingpipes. The #3 is the only one I enjoy. Good luck.

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!

I did not initially like #1 either, right out of the tin. But after it had been jarred up for a few months it was much better. I could send you a sample of some #3 if you PM me your address.

Sorry to see ABF is difficult to come by nowadays, I hope it doesn't go the way of Stonehaven, etc.  I find Uhle's Perfection Plug Burley to be very similar in flavor, though not in flake form. I've tried all of the C&D burley flakes and the majority of their burley blends, and while very good smokes, I don't find any of them similar to ABF.

Just wanted to letcha know the German etailer Pfeifendepot carries ABF, along with a lot of Germain tobaccos and all the delicious HU tobacco blends. Shipping isn't too bad, either, and if you remind'em they'll gladly take the VAT off the order.

I don't know if I'm off topic :oops:

I'm not a burley lover but I do smoke burley/Virginia blends.

One of the best I've tried so far is Peterson's University Flake

Just my 2c

SpeedyPete":866qcdk1 said:
I don't know if I'm off topic  :oops:

I'm not a burley lover but I do smoke burley/Virginia blends.

One of the best I've tried so far is Peterson's University Flake

Just my 2c
Thanks 'Pete. I've had UF in my shopping cart a few times but have somehow not managed to buy a tin yet.

Cracked open a tin of Mac Baren's Golden Extra and am really enjoying it! Tin note is very close to ABF and flavour is similar too, though not quite as smooth. GE comes as a broken flake, mine was the perfect moisture level straight from the tin, and is less than half the price of ABF. I may have found a new everyday smoke!

Golden Extra is a solid burley. I do enjoy smoking it. I don't think for me that it could ever be a stand in for ABF though. I think you said it best in that it's not as smooth, that was my experience with it. Good flavor but for me, nowhere near as refined or as sweet as ABF. Plus as a flake lover, you gotta have the flake... :p

We're on the same page, D&B. ?
I'll add some of each to my supply to cover the bases. Right now I've got more GE on hand so I'll save the ABF as a special treat.