Where the turkeys go when It's 95 degrees out.

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Puff Daddy

Reaction score
My shady flower beds! Bastards have pretty much ruined it. Tore out an entire bed of Mexican Heather and Primrose. *#! No shooting ordinances.... :x 

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/FsRuny_ljCw" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" frameborder="0" loading="lazy" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Pellet rifle, it'll sure get them moving and it won't necessarily kill them.
Shame you have a NO shooting law. Here there are none and I shoot gophers and feral cats with my .22 rifle. Before that was my 410.

It's actually a trade off that, in the end, I'm OK with. Yeah, it pisses me off that they tore up my flower bed, but the wild turkey is the #1 predator of the rattlesnake (according to a dfg biologist I spoke with) and the little hillside I live up against is thick with turkeys (we have oak trees they roost in, and at the bottom of the gulley beside us is a creek where they get water, so they're right here all year). I've counted as many as 30 turkeys at a time within 20 feet of my patio, and they cruise throughnhere every single day. Many of the locals have rattlesnake issues every year, in 8 years we've never had a single one. I'll take that, I have little kids and dogs.

A short visit to You Tube found this video:
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/hjmJla-q880" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" frameborder="0" loading="lazy" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Personally I would just walk the other way

Puff Daddy":d7h2axgq said:
It's actually a trade off that, in the end, I'm OK with. Yeah, it pisses me off that they tore up my flower bed, but the wild turkey is the #1 predator of the rattlesnake (according to a dfg biologist I spoke with) and the little hillside I live up against is thick with turkeys (we have oak trees they roost in, and at the bottom of the gulley beside us is a creek where they get water, so they're right here all year). I've counted as many as 30 turkeys at a time within 20 feet of my patio, and they cruise throughnhere every single day. Many of the locals have rattlesnake issues every year, in 8 years we've never had a single one. I'll take that, I have little kids and dogs.
I'd much rather have the snake problem. They keep gophers, moles and other rodents in check.

No, we're talking rattlers here. Ever see a dog that's been bit? A kid? Bad things happen.

We have Cottonmouths which haven't a warning device like a rattle, we just educate our children not to walk in tall grass or other places they lurk during the day and, I always watch my dog when he's outside. Killing off snakes only causes rodents that they seek for prey to over populate an area. It's important to keep natures balance. So many people nowadays killing off indigenous animals and insects that there's nothing left to kill the detrimental invading animals and insects that some places are literately over run with. Snakes are more scared of us then we are of them and will not attack unless given a reason. All the years of having them around, I or any of my family or friends have never had a problem with them. We also don't kill off insects like spiders and such that keep other populations of insects down. And no we haven't any insects inside our house except for the normal occasional spider or fly someone let in.
Hell, half the reason I have so many dadburn gophers and moles is because the yahoo's around here think is fun and sporting to go snake hunting or run them over while there warming on the road. And the same ones run over the turtles and squirrels thinking it's just funny, I fail to see the funniness in any of it. Sorry for getting off the beaten track there.

SHOOT 'EM with a bow, breast them out and slow cook 'em in the crockpot.

PD,
I wish I could send you my English Bulldog Satchmo Catguts MacDonald. He is a expert turkey terrify-er. He makes a fast sweeping arc across our yard to get them up against the hedges and then plows through them as they bounce off the hedges trying to take off. He only has 30 seconds worth of full speed, but he makes comical use of it.