Where to buy cigars?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Midnight Blues

Reaction score
I'm just setting up my desk top humidor and I have a question for the cigar aficionados among us. Is there any advantage/disadvantage in buying cigars from internet stores ie JR cigars or should I stick with the local B&M?

Thanks,

Dan

You can also check out osme of the auction sites online. CI Bid is a quality one.

Davey

Thanks guys,

Let me restate my question,

Is there any advantage/disadvantage in buying cigars from internet stores ie JR cigars or should I stick with the local B&M?

Internet stores are generally cheaper due to tax issues..

But Supporting the B&M makes sense simply because someday internet tobacco sales will be illegal, and if we don't support them now,they may not be here to support later.

As for any other advantage/disadvantage??? hmmmm Well you can hold/smell/see a stick at the local B&M.. and you may learn a bit by engaging the guy behind the counter in conversation.. Also I've never met other local smokers buy placing an online order, I have at the B&M..

Well, the obvious advantage to showing allegiance to a B&M is helping to keep them in business. If you find a B&M that has knowledgeable, friendly people working there then you should consider that a last bastion of fine pipe, tobacco and cigar heritage. Helping to keep them in business is helping to keep the hobby going, and more, the knowledge base in existence.

You may save a lot by buying from an on-line retailer but how far do you think they'll go to take care of you? Will they even know who you are? If you call a customer service rep will they even know what the hell you're talking about?

Certainly there are exceptions to either end. I think if you have a B&M in your area that you like you should spend some time and $$ there, then tell us what you think ;)

I will usually buy my cigars from one of two local B&M's here in Phoenix that I frequent. I very seldom buy boxes any more because I like a variety in my humidor. Most on-line retailers would rather deal in boxes of cigars instead of singles. Plus you get to see/smell the cigars before purchasing at a local shop. Price wise I would say the etailers can be cheaper due to the tax issues and some like JR's, Famous Smokes, Cigar International, and others usually have some pretty good deals on boxes, although both of the local shops give a ten to fifteen percent discount when buying boxes of cigars. Both of the local shops I frequent usually will have a free cigar tasting once a month which makes it really nice. Not to mention they are also excellent pipe shops. If you know what you want and want to purchase that cigar by the box then you will probably find it a little cheaper on-line IMHO. Sometimes the shipping ends up being the same on what you would of paid in the local taxes (which in Arizona are not that bad on pipe blends and cigars). Hope that gives you a little of what you were looking for.

I thank you gentleman. I do feel its best to support the local B&M and I agree that without our support the would not last. I think price wise what it all boils down to is the addition of NY state tax and that makes the internet more atractive.

I appreciate everyone's input.

One more thing that should be taken into concideration is the fact that a lot of online stores ship their cigars "wet." This keeps the cigars at a slighly higher Relative Humidity so that the cigars do not dry out on their trip. So, they may need some time to adjust to the Rh you desire. I usually wait 4-7 days before I smoke anything shipped to me. Trying to keep a "wet" cigars lit is ot my idea of relaxing. :evil:

Trying to keep my pipe lit.... that's a different story all together! :affraid:

Lucky

I like to help out my local, but when it comes to selection and price, you cant beat the net. i say use em both!

Most of the good advice has been said, but let me add this - you live in upstate NY. When winter rolls around, you might be happy that you have a local B&M where you can sit and smoke a cigar. JR prices are way cheaper than NY retail plus tax, though... So do what I used to do when I lived in NY - stock your humidor from JR, but buy sticks, accessories, pipes, etc. from your local B&M.

-Andrew

My favorite stick is a Partagas Black Label Magnifico. I purchase from Serious Cigars in Houston TX. Service is good, price is right and selection is large. I believe in purchasing from local B&M vendors, however, out of New York State local vendors. I pay income tax, real estate tax, sales tax, etc. etc. etc. Enough is enough. All that is left is a charge for the "opportunity" to send the tax check. I'm sure New York State will begin a charge for processing a tax payment next.

Not likely much to say over all the other good comments. I am lucky to have 3 really good B&M's within 10 minutes and I like that so I try and buy from them on a regular basis. Each has a different strength, one has a killer selection of pipes and tobacco, one has 2 huge TV/sports rooms, coffee bar, etc and the other does deals on hard to find cigars like Opus. They all get my business for the above reasons. However, I also buy a lot from JR's when it comes to stocking up on boxes and during holidays when you can get some really nice gift sets for cheap from their holiday catalogs.

Local B&M, which is an hour from me can be great to visit and spend some time. Really not very local but they have all the knowledge and great selection. Other than that, it's Cigar International for online stuff.
Try to spread it around, because like previously stated, someday internet sales of tobacco will be banned because of lost tax revenue. So be good to your local B&M, they are your best friend.

If I bought my boxes from my B&M, I'd have 2/3s the number of cigars that I've bought online. Cigar Place and Atlantic have the lowest prices. Every time I price a box, they are always the lowest. It's already a very costly past-time; the bottom line is that I couldn't afford to indulge in it were it not for these two vendors.