Which are your Favorite Burley and/or Cavendish Blends

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JohnnyFlake

Reaction score
I am on the hunt for blends dominated by burley and/or cavendish. Which are your favorites? Aromatics are Okay!

Johnny,

Walnut is a burley based blend. C&D Barrister is also a good burley blend. Edgeworth Ready Rubbed is also a good one.

I just ordered a 10 or 12oz. tin of Walnut and some Carter Hall last night. I have never tried the Old Joe Krantz, the Butternut Burley or the C&D Barrister. I'll put those on my list to try! I already have some Stonehaven & Edgeworth.

Thanks for the input so far guys!!!

Johnny

Justpipes":zcy8ur3y said:
Johnny,

Walnut is a burley based blend. C&D Barrister is also a good burley blend. Edgeworth Ready Rubbed is also a good one.
Yes, all these, and OJK, Bookshop, 5Bros, and Uhle's Perfection Plug in the first tier. There must be at least 20 or more in the "I like to smoke them but not everyday" category.

morleysson":9hr80ngm said:
Justpipes":9hr80ngm said:
Johnny,

Yes, all these, and OJK, Bookshop, 5Bros, and Uhle's Perfection Plug in the first tier. There must be at least 20 or more in the "I like to smoke them but not everyday" category.
I am not familiar with the above (highlighted), I'll have to look them up on tobaccoreviews.com to get an idea of what they're like.

Thanks for the heads-up on them!

I went though a ton of C&D burley last summer. Lots of great stuff. Home From the Hills, Kelly's Coin, Barrister, Easy Times, Billy Budd, Walter Franklin, Morley's best, Bridge Mixture. Just so many good blends.

Carlos":l2yzn44o said:
I went though a ton of C&D burley last summer. Lots of great stuff. Home From the Hills, Kelly's Coin, Barrister, Easy Times, Billy Budd, Walter Franklin, Morley's best, Bridge Mixture. Just so many good blends.
Thanks for the input Carlos. Now, I have even more to check out!

Johnny

C&D is to burley what McC is to Va.

Its hard to go wrong with their products when trying to pick out something burley to smoke. I'd have to give a nod to the stuff that Bob R comes up with, good ole Americana burley.

I just noticed no one listed C&D's new burley blend. Similar to the old Revelation. What's that called. I need to go look. It's very good.

Epiphany

A Runowski/Tarler blend of Virginia, Latakia, Burley and Perique reminiscent of the original Revelation.

A tin of Wessex Burley Slice should be on your list of burleys to try. Not really a blend, but an honest burley with a slightly sweet taste throughout the entire bowl. Nicely packaged too.

I like it as an early morning smoke before you take on any big flavors for the day. Great with a cup of coffee.

My favorite Burley blend is my own home blended recipe which is 50% Burley. In a briar, it's great. In a cob it is excellent.

This is a great thread! I've been wanting to up my Burley IQ lately and wasn't quite sure where to start. Perfect thread to begin with. Thanks, folks!

Burley is like the taters in a meat & taters dish. By itself burley, like taters has just a little flavor. But add some gray, butter, salt, pepper or other condiments and it changes things a lot. Not only that, fry tater patties, or dice and brown. Lots of things you can do with taters that changes them and compliments the whole dish.

Burley is like that. You can toast it, season it, cut it in cubes. Do all sorts of things to make it taste differently and complement the blend. It comes in different strengths and varieties. For me burley is at it's best when part of a blend. But I do smoke some straight burley.

Burley isn't very good with gravy on it though. So you better stick with condiments like Latakia, oriental's, Virginia and other burleys.

:)

Morn' All, Don't forget Uhle's Perfection Cut Plug, And #300, I'm positive they have more I haven't tried them,Ken.
Pacem en Puffing! :tongue: :pirat: :pipe:

I'll second the motion on Barbary Coast, Butternut Burley, and Carter Hall. BC has a good dose of perique, which I like a lot. Butternut Burley is very good, but it will make your pipe taste like BB forever. Carter Hall is dirt cheap and tastes fine.
Solani Aged Burley Flake hasn't been mentioned yet. It comes in little flakes about the size of a stick of chewing gum. I'm half way through my first tin and gaining appreciation for it every day. Last nights bowl of ABF was especially satisfying.