Which Burley...

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Corncobcon

B of B Supporter
Reaction score
I enjoy Carter Hall, Lane's RR, EGR, J4, PS Toasted Burley, PS Cube cut burley, C&D Burley Flakes and JP's Moe's Confetti to name just a few.  I've been on a burley kick lately and have found that the burleys sit better with me than the Orientals.  Which burley based tobaccos do you enjoy the most?

Two burley blends that I am never without and smoke more than any others are Haunted Bookshop and Storm Front.

Some of my favorites in somewhat random order;

C&D Pegasus
C&D Big and Burley (used to be much better imho, but still a stocky, manly smoke)
Solani Aged Burley Flake
Solani Silver Flake (a burley forward Va/Bur)
Low Country Virginia and Burley (My favorite if one accounts for price)
Holiday and Walnut (Mixtures that are burley-centric)
Heine's Blend (Since you like EGR. Think EGR with coumarin top note rather than whatever the heck EGR is)
GLP Jackknife Plug
GLP Barbary Coast (but ONLY if you like the top-dressing on Haddo's)
C&D Crooner (if you can stomach deer tongue)

And ONLY if you like lakelands
SG 1792
SG Chocolate Flake
G&H Coniston Cut Plug

Yeah, I'm kind of a burleyphile.

That should tide you over for a bit.

Sir Walter Raleigh, Prince Albert. Half&Half, Briggs, the older the better as far as I'm concerned. You can usually find very old unopened tubs at flea markets. Burley doesn't age like Virginias do but to my tastes they develop a fuller richer flavor. Of course it could be that the quality of leaf was just better back then.

Jim

huffelpuff":p2uwlv1o said:
Sir Walter Raleigh, Prince Albert. Half&Half, Briggs, the older the better as far as I'm concerned. You can usually find very old unopened tubs at flea markets. Burley doesn't age like Virginias do but to my tastes they develop a fuller richer flavor. Of course it could be that the quality of leaf was just better back then.

Jim
Yeah, everyone spouts the "common knowledge" that burley doesn't age well, but I tend to think that's poppycock from non-burley smokers. Certainly it doesn't have the sugars to ferment the way virginia tobacco does, but in virtually every product know to man, there are bacteria whose effects one often discounts. I can speak from first hand experience that burly gets richer, smoother, and fuller with age. It doesn't get sweeter obviously, but if it's burley that rocks your world, you're not really looking for sweeter anyway.

I just became a member so please excuse the late reply to this thread. If it’s burley that spins your wheels, you may want to try wilkepipetobacco. John Brandt has about 50 blends and most are burley blends. I’ve never considered myself a burley fan but since trying some Wilke blends, I now cellar about half of them, having laid in a couple pounds each of several of them. So I guess I’m a burley fan.

I'm very much a burley neophyte, so take anything I say for what little it is worth. For straight burley, I've found the PS Cube cut most rewarding...sometimes. I like how it burn, and I sometimes get that cocoa flavor. But you already know that. The others I like are C&D Big N' Burley 103 and D&R Picayune, but though I was enthusiastic about Big N' Burley at first, I've been having a difficult time with it lately. I don't know why, but I've been getting sour smokes from it. Different pipes. No alterations to the tobacco. Several months age on the tobacco itself is the only change. Picayune, on the other hand, continues to surprise and satisfy me. D&R Two Timer continues to leave little impression. I had high hopes for it, but straight or used as a condiment elsewhere, it doesn't do much.

I'm not a Burley "nut," but I do like some of them! CH, PA, ABF, Edgeworth Slices (still have about 6 oz. of the old, old stuff!), Edgeworth Sliced (11 x 3.5 oz. tins), MacB's Golden Extra & ODF, Bob's CF & The Mayor's CF (not pure Burley but some!), plus Wessex Burley Slice are kept in ye olde cellar on a regular basis!! :cheers: FTRPLT

Not sure that it’s been mentioned but MacBaren HH Burley Flake, an excellent burley with a little KY dark fired added which gives a pleasant spice note.

If you’re inclined to spend a little extra money HU Tobacco has some really unique burley blends using Malawi burley, which has more of a cocoa flavor than nutty. Makhuwa is excellent, Malawi burley with a little red VA, perique, and white burley with just a slight caramel topping.

By far my favorite burley HU has been Dockworker, which may not be for you since it contains orientals, but it’s one of the most unique blends I’ve ever tried.

I'd love to try more Hu blends. EXPENSIVE. Maybe start a collective order on the board or something.

Solani Aged Burley Flake in stock NOW at Smokingpipes... better grab a couple of tins. I did!

Zeno Marx":zhz97i2f said:
I'd love to try more Hu blends.  EXPENSIVE.  Maybe start a collective order on the board or something.  
Indeed they are a luxury, definitely worth sampling at least once.

Just FYI on large orders, pfeifendepot will only ship up to 2kg including the weight of the packaging material and the actual tin weight, so it works out to something like 11 50g tins or 8 100g tins or a combination. I would suggest contacting them before ordering to work out exactly how much they can ship in one order before actually placing the order, they are very helpful.

Rail Man":vmsat55w said:
Zeno Marx":vmsat55w said:
I'd love to try more Hu blends.  EXPENSIVE.  Maybe start a collective order on the board or something.  
Indeed they are a luxury, definitely worth sampling at least once.

Just FYI on large orders, pfeifendepot will only ship up to 2kg including the weight of the packaging material and the actual tin weight, so it works out to something like 11 50g tins or 8 100g tins or a combination. I would suggest contacting them before ordering to work out exactly how much they can ship in one order before actually placing the order, they are very helpful.
Good info. Thanks.

Wessex Burely Slices opened my palate to the wonders of burley and now I can’t get enough. Most of my favorites are well represented in the thread already but would add Russ’s Classic Burley Kake and Peretti’s many offerings—their Burley Plug Cut is great to burley up a blend or just smoke on its own.

In no particular order:

Solani Aged Burley Flake
Peterson Irish Flake
Peterson University Flake
Peterson 3P
Orlik Dark Strong Kentucky
Mac Baren Symphony
Mac Baren Old Dark Fired
Mac Baren Bold Kentucky
Dunhill MM 221B
Wessex Burley Slice

Only had a couple bowls of the MB Burley Flake, so can't say yet if I love it.
I'm a Burley freak for sure. :lol!:

Nowadays I'm down to two burley blends. Esoterica Stonehaven and Peterson University Flake.