Which Pete?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Puff Daddy":ksavryox said:
Brewdude":ksavryox said:
gets me jonesin'

RR
Maybe we should make a sticky thread for Potential Peterson PAD (3 P's, how fitting) titled "Pete Jones" :lol:
Ironically, "Pete Jones" is the real name of one of my finest and best apprentices in my brewing career.

Seems fitting to award him the title of Peterson PAD "Pete Jones"!

:tongue:

Cheers,

RR

OK - so the Rosslare B5 came in today. WHAT a STUNNER!

The stem: I've only just had the chance for a quick inspection...but every positive comment written here by Rosslare fans re: the stem is totally false. They don't do it justice. It's easily far more excellent than I imagined. There are many things I like about the B5 stem...the taper to the slim button, the way it flows into a cool looking triangle shape from the top of the diamond toward the button. The transparency is great, the 'swirl' within the acrylic is also just right.

The tennon: The pipe arrived with the stem inserted into the shank. It was tight when I tried to remove it. But it eventually came free with only moderate effort and a properly executed deft twist. They're sitting seperated now - adjusting to the local temperature and humidity. I hate it when a pipe is shipped 'assembled'.

The wood: It's really, really nice...a light blondish brown, almost a match with the Kinsale XL15 I just got in. The finish is excellent, better than either the Harp or the Kinsale. But again, if I were to set out a half dozen of each pipe I think that the fit, finish, etc. would even out...at least between the Kinsale and the Rosslare...given their visually appealing briar treatment. But the Harp, with the Cumberland acrylic stem in which the brindle swirl matches the color of the stain, has a special appeal of it's own. I shouldn't consider it lesser just because it's different.

So at last, the three Musketeers have joined together under one roof...and it's MINE! Bwwaaaahhaaaahhhaaaaahhhhhhaaaaaaaa!

The hand carved 3-pipe Peterson stand: Ahem. Well, so as not to end this fabulous party of Peterson perfection. I'll divulge that I'm about half way through the making of a three space pipe stand (so fine, call it a throne) on which these will rest between blazes of glory. Construction involves some really excellent Honduran Rosewood, a fairly sighificant section of Whitetail antler, some small pieces of Gabon Ebony and either Nickle Silver or perhaps Stainless Steel or majorly heavy Brass sheet stock. Not quite sure of the 'artistic direction' of a couple of aspects as yet...but the three 'holes' into which the bases of the three pipes have been carved. I can't convey how well the Rosewood finishes up once it's properly sanded, buffed and waxed...it's really georgous. And, like it or not, it has a large flow of blond heartwood through the front (which is why I chose to use it) which has been 'wormed' at one point. Of course, it's been kiln dried, so those little buggers are long gone. But in several places, the wormwood is visible...and has a sort of antique appeal. So I'll be finishing up over the next week to so and of course there will be the obligatory picutures eventually.

Sweet! :D Can't wait to see the pics of that stand.

The real answer to your opinion of the differences between those pipes will of course come after a couple of dozen smokes through each. It's tough to compare opinions on Petes because for every guy out there who has one or two in each finish, the sample sets are ridiculously too small for a fair opinion outside that individuals little micro sample. I don't have a Kinsale but I do own Deluxe Systems, Rosslares, Limited Editions (Molly Malone set and POY), Harp, Red Spigots, and Kildare. And what can I ultimately say? Aside from external finish (more $$ equals prettier pipe), overall quality is all over the board. In my collection there are none that are not good pipes but the cheapest (Kildare, $86) is a better smoker than the most expensive in my little collection, and even among twins (the Mollys and the two Red Spigots) there are glaring differences in fit, finish and quality of performance between two seemingly identical (other than shape) pipes. I am not at all unhappy with that though, as they (Peterson) are a great value at the price point, completely accessible and blue collar, present a vast array of collecting options and IMHO are only second to the last genre of Danish made Stanwells in terms of value for the dollar. In the bigger picture I think they are on par with Stanwell because of the diversity of the varieties available from Peterson and the fact that they are still being made, unlike Stanwell which is now an outsourced manufacture item.

We await photos and post break in impressions, oh PAD afflicted brother :)

I agree with everything you said, and especially the certain truth that $ does not equal a good smoke...in and of itself. I've got a few pipes in every price range that I'd gladly put up against pipes that cost 3 - 5 times as much...depending on the blend. Money usually equals pretty wood and paying someone for the time it takes to do it nicely. But as pipes are as much a world of perception as anything else...that pretty wood done nicely makes a difference to how most guys view their smoking experience. I readilly admit to being prone to the bending of reality by that pretty face. Heck, as a metalsmith and woodcarver, much of what I do involves crafting personal items from ferrous and precious metals and a range of woods from the local scrap heap to extremely exotic. So, certainly you'd guess that I'd be susceptible. The only thing that saves me is that I'm CHEAP! lol Really though, much of my design ethic surrounds the use of 'found' and 'on hand' materials...turning those into 'items of wonder' (well, sometimes)...so I do appreciate another aspect of the entry to mid-level Pete's you mentioned...the blue collar target, wide range of selection, solid level of value side of the company's offerings. I've currently got 6 Pete's, but I've had perhaps twenty over time. My 2000 4th of July (kind of a 1/8th bent Prince) is the best VA/Per briar I own and I have two little Sterling Silvers that are ideal pipes for strong weed like Dark Flake and the Twists, etc. And now I have three new Dogs which aside from a Dublin I've always sort of considered to be the classic Peterson shape, though of course that's personal and all. Lastly, I agree that the real story will be told over this Spring and Summer, as I become familiar with their likes and dislikes...hoping they're ALL winners.

Now I've gotta go. I've got a chunk of 1/8" brass sheet and some Rosewood that are calling...and a new virgin Rosslare to initiate into the thrill of bad company!

Blackhorse":id13jp30 said:
...that pretty wood done nicely makes a difference to how most guys view their smoking experience.
True! Our preconceived notions and desires for things to fit into an ideal in our minds definitely affects our impressions and opinions. I was just going through some jars and found one that was unlabeled. I opened it and sniffed it and looked at the cut and tried to determine what it was,, if I should like it, etc.. No label to sway my opinion. I stuffed some into a little Stanwell that smokes everything well and fired up. Yep, it was a Virginia, seemed well made, didn't thrill me. I knew if the jar was labeled it might have swayed my opinion to either side of "meh...".

A few years ago I was in a different financial position and had money to spend on some pretty nice high grade pipes. S Bang, Chonowitsch, Larsen Pearl, Old Dunhill and Barlings, etc.. I had worked my way up through the ranks, learning to appreciate the aesthetics and intricacies of the work. Once it became clear that I wasn't going to be able to keep accumulating these and remain focused on specific collections I just let it go, realized that I'd been fortunate enough to have experienced it and learned from it, and went forward in search of really good smoking mainstream affordable pipes. Afterwards the glaring reality was that you absolutely do not necessarily get a better smoking experience from expensive pipes, and that what you are in fact paying for is art. I think many a high grade smoker is convinced that those expensive jewels are better, but I'm convinced that they are just nicer and more appealing, a big difference.

But of course there is an army of Grabow/Kaywoodie smokers burning Captain Black that would say the same about we Peterson/Stanwell collectors, and they wouldn't necessarily be wrong.

So BH, how does that B5 smoke? I've got my eyes on a similar style.

002-029-13311.jpg

Cheers,

RR

Wanted to post a picture of the rusticated Peterson Rosslare that I just purchased for $60 off an ebay shop. So far the pipe is smoking fantastic and should only get better with a little more time. I agree with a previous poster that said that $$$ usually means paying for pretty wood (most of the time). Mind you I have a few high end pipes that smoke like a dream, but I would put my Peterson's and especially my Estellas up against the high end ones any day of the week!

-Scott

I saw one of these over on the International Pete Col.Forum awhile back and began looking around to find one. It would be the next Peterson I would get. It is the Grafton 80s and it has an acrylis cumberland stem with sterling band. It's one of the High Grades and they say only 5% of there briar qualifies to be made in this model. They are not in the lower end of the Peterson price point but they are not as expensive as those Brit High Grades with spots on 'em :p

5943__big1.jpg

All three of the Pete's I got are stellar smokers. The Kindsale you showed in the pic is the largest, being a copy of one of the Holmes series items. I LOVE the quarter bent stem and the diamond shank, the specific design of which really is excellent.

And that Grafton...Wow...it looks just like the Harp series...Brindle acrylic and all. But the shape you showed is I think a group 3 while the B5 is a group 4...just a tad larger bowl dimensions...being taller in the bowl...and it's considered a Rhodesian instead of a Bulldog for some arcane reason.

Monbla256

I dig the 999 Rosalare a shes a thing of beauty. Seems like you can't go wrong with a Pete.

Blackhorse":ldbosb4g said:
All three of the Pete's I got are stellar smokers. The Kindsale you showed in the pic is the largest, being a copy of one of the Holmes series items. I LOVE the quarter bent stem and the diamond shank, the specific design of which really is excellent.

And that Grafton...Wow...it looks just like the Harp series...Brindle acrylic and all. But the shape you showed is I think a group 3 while the B5 is a group 4...just a tad larger bowl dimensions...being taller in the bowl...and it's considered a Rhodesian instead of a Bulldog for some arcane reason.
I'd always been given that the 80s and it's Rhodesian brother, the 999 were grp 4 in size. My Rosslare 999 and a Rocky 999 that I bought back in the 80's are exactly the same size as my grp4 Dunhill Bulldog I bought back then. I think your B5 is more of a grp5 in size really. And I don't understand why they would refer to a diamond shanked Bulldog shape as a Rhodesian when they refer to the round shanked 999 as that ! Those folks on that island can be just a little strange at times :p

I bought this Pete last year from smokingpies.com last year and it is a VERY nice smoker as well as a different take on the straight Rhodesian shape. It is one of the River Series , The Boyne, and has an engraved sterling band and so far no indication of any fills! It has a nice wide, thin fishtail bit which I prefer ( I have replaced all but one of my P-lips on all the Pete's I have with fishtails :p ) Pic is of my pipe from smokingpipes.com site.

002-029-106421.jpg

Yeah...I think you're right about the Group 4 & 5. It's weird...depending on what vendor you go to they call one a Bulldog on one site and a Rhodesian on another site. I even saw one site that called the B5 a Bulldog when it was in one series and a Rhodesian when it was shown from another series. I guess they're just making careless mistakes...but since it's their business, you know...you'd think they would tend to be SOMEWHAT accurate. Silly me.