Which Pete?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Whoa Nelly! Time to put the binders on this binge.

Through a weird set of circumstances I ended up with the following:

1) one Harp B5 Rhodesian

2) one Kinsale X15 Bulldog

3) one Rosslare B5 Rhodesian

(all fishtail)

I've got a really nice block of Honduran Rosewood in the shop. I should do a trio stand for these.

Well done BH!! :cheers: I'm going to want to hear your opinions on the differences between the Harp and the Rosslare B5's, will be curious to see which you like better and why.

Blackhorse":t3i9jy8h said:
...a weird set of circumstances...
Since when is serious PAD "weird?" 8)

Agreed: Pictures! :cheers: So we may live vicariously through your...*ahem*...so-called "weirdness."

jefe...sure, fine. Me? I love lookin' at 'em...so in order of their expected arrival...

The Harp B5 with the Cumberland acrylic stem...the system says this one is 'out for delivery' right now!!!!

Peterson-Harp-Series-B5-Tobacco-Pipe-Fishtail-Right-Side__45911_zoom-1.jpg

And the X15 Kinsale Estate (NIB)...

ptr-03.jpg

And the Rosslare B5 with amber acrylic stem...(just using the Smoking Pipes image cause it was the best shot

002-029-13276.jpg

Weird?

I'll tell you, weird! How often does one stumble onto a NEW in the box, estate, Kinsale (the working man's Sherlock Holmes - since they are the same shapes) for sixty bucks? ...or get a sixtyfive dollar price cut from retail on a pipe like the Rosslare?

I didn't intend to end up with 3 new Petes...but it wouldn't be prudent to pass up stellar deals like that. Right? Anyone? Can I get a witness?!?!?

Justified PAD is still PAD. Even if you made the oh-so-right decision. I'm glad it was you and not me--I wouldn't have been able to buy them. :( Then I would have been here whining about it. :lol:

8)

Blackhorse":60hpvf2f said:
Weird?

I'll tell you, weird! How often does one stumble onto a NEW in the box, estate, Kinsale (the working man's Sherlock Holmes - since they are the same shapes) for sixty bucks? ...or get a sixtyfive dollar price cut from retail on a pipe like the Rosslare?

I didn't intend to end up with 3 new Petes...but it wouldn't be prudent to pass up stellar deals like that. Right? Anyone? Can I get a witness?!?!?
Sounds and looks like you made out like the proverbial Bandit !! You're gonna REALLY like that Rosslare! Mine has broken in like it never needed to !! It smokes as well as my older Pre-Republic Petes from '46 !! You are gonna like it :p

The Harp arrived today, as expected. Gracie (Black Lab) perked up her ears and trotted out to the door...so I followed and checked outside...sure enough! The box was sitting there in the rain and the carrier hadn't rung the bell. Jerk.

Little bits of brown box cardboard and green eco-plastic packing pillow filled the air as I tore into the box like Taz...in his Warner Brothers whirlwind form. I emerged holding a lovely Peterson Harp like it was the Heisman Trophy. It was a 'ta-da' kind of monent.

I suddenly remembered that I had a few chores to do out back...near the smoking shed...very near in fact. I ran a pipe cleaner through both stem and shank - just to be sure. Aside from a small wood burr at the bore's entrance to the bottom of the bowl, all was well. The first bowl, using a 7/8 load of Stonehaven proven that a Harp can indeed smoke well.

The 'brindle' Cumberland color swirl in the acrylic stem really is a true match for the stain used on the briar...excellent cut and polish as well. I couldn't detect any fills.

It really is quite the fine looking piece.

And...unexpectedly early, the Kinsale XL15 beasty boy arrived yesterday afternoon. Wow! I'm very torn between which of the two shapes I like the most...the XL15 or the B5. They're BOTH just what I was looking for...but the brooding heavy shouldered feel of the Bulldog gives it a broad shouldered kind of appeal. It seems significantly larger in the hand...feels like it has more mass, though it might not. Fit and finish were not quite on a par with the Harp...though I think if I were to line up six of each, that would even out. The wood is very good. Two itty bitty 'peaks' of the finish material existed, which were quickly cleaned up. The stem was a nice fit...untill it seated home all the way...then it was loose...slightly. I assumed that it would firm up with the heat of a few bowls under its belt and I was right. After the first bowl it fit very nicely. The draw on this Kinsale is a thing of sublime perfection...just a nice hint of drag in the intake...and the first bowl proved me right. Some moderately aged Gawith Lousiana Flake went down as well as I've ever had it perform. It was one hour of steadily sipped succulent sublimity...all the way to the bottom with just a light grey ash left. If only the fish tail stem were lucite I would score it a 10 for what it is...again, a poor man's Sherlock Holmes. That's the only thing I would change...and for a price in the $60's - I don't think I'll complain. What's more - swapping out the stem 'might' alter the draw, and I wouldn't do that for anything. SCORE!!!

So you have the low slung, squat XL15 and it's heightened B5 cousin, a fine pair! Now all you need to fill out the set is the sky scraper XL26, the SH Hansom :)

You have a way of telling your experiance. I was right there with you. You making me want a new Pete now Ive got 4 and love each one. I have a old Kilarney that came from England that is probably the best smoker, But my 303 is still my favorite. I get the same way when the mail runs and Im looking for my new pipes. Takes me back to when I was a kid and would order something out of a comic book.

Excellent choices! Again, I'd have to vote for the Rosslare based on overall appeal, acrylic stem, better grain, less chance of fills, better finish. That 150 shape is classic. That Kinsale is the SH Baker Steet, a gorgeous shape too. I like the carved effect on the bead you get on the higher grade.

Isnt there a bunch of other folks that smoke pipes, that every time one gets some thing the rest what some too. :roll:

Brewdude":b8unvz48 said:
gets me jonesin'

RR
Maybe we should make a sticky thread for Potential Peterson PAD (3 P's, how fitting) titled "Pete Jones" :lol: