Which VAPER is Best?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Slartibartfast":x1n9xpoe said:
Best VaPer? Aww hell, that's too easy...

...the one you like best, of course.

Simple, really.
Of course, this is the best answer of all, and the reason for my post in the first instance. Thanks to everyone for the terrific responses and great suggestions. I now have a bunch of new blends to add to the experimentation list

I saw Former's Cross-Grain Flake listed but not the Bird's Eye Flake (not sure if they are similar in taste). Royal Jersey Perique is v close in flavor to the Former Bird's Eye, both very light VAs with a touch of perique. I also enjoy McConnell's Red Virginia (sometimes listed as Red Virginia Superb, but my tin didn't have the word anywhere on it), similar in Perique content to the above but with red virginia (who would have guessed!)

OGS is one of my old time favourites, along with Escudo. But the best I've had so far is Wessex Sovereign. Man, that is good!

CharlG":xfkyg1sz said:
OGS is one of my old time favourites, along with Escudo. But the best I've had so far is Wessex Sovereign. Man, that is good!
That's encouraging -- whenever I finish off the Bedloe's Island (a VaPer with a touch of Orientals), Sovereign is next on 'Death Row'

Ol'Dawg":5cfwshqb said:
esoxhunter":5cfwshqb said:
Ol'Dawg":5cfwshqb said:
A couple to add-

McConnell's Scottish Cake (Used to my favorite)
Ashton Revival Black Parrot

Jim
Is this "Black Parrot" something different than the McClelland that I listed?
When McClelland first tinned Black Parrot, it had the most perique from all blends VaPer. When I was first opened a tin from Black Parrot , it smelled like pure perique. I haven't tried there new Ashton Revival yet but the reviews seem pretty good.

Revival Black Parrot

Jim

PS-If you check it seems that may K&K blended by Black Parrot in Europe for McConnell and probably imports to McClelland for makes the tins under their brand. McConnell blended by K&K
Jim,

I have a few tins of the original Ashton Black Parrot from 99/2000 and its a serious VAper! It has aged wonderfully, as one might expect. The tin note as well as the side stream are quite possibly the best aromas I have found. The taste is rich and almost a complete meal in each puff. It reminds me of the chewing gum from Charlie and the Chocolate factory that has a full course meal as you chew! If only I could know how well the Revival stuff would fare with 10+ years of age

2015 has legions of followers but I'm not one.

Davidoff Flake Medallions
Solani 633
St. James Woods

And of course Escudo, one of my top 5 tobaccos; always has been. When I was a n00b I opened a tin, and I'd never seen flake tobacco, and it took my breath away!

Lots of great suggestions here, but for me, hands down aside from a really aged tin of Haddo's Delight, it's gotta be Reiner Long Golden Flake. Amazing blend from R.L. Will. Same blender behind all that lovable Solani stuff. Like Solani 660 or ABF a bit expensive, but completely worth it.

Sorry, Dover, forgot about the Red Paramour! It's so good it basically smokes itself! Definitely in a class of its own!

My favorite Vapers that I cellar are the following.

Escudo
SG St James Flake
Dunhill Deluxe Navy Rolls
Solani 633
Dan Treasures of Limerick.

I have smoked a wide variety of Vapers over the years but have settled on these 5 for my cellar. I wish I could smoke Haddo's Delight and Marlin Flake( the red's in it bite me bad) because I love the flavor on them both.

One interesting thing I discovered recently is when I opened a tin of 2002 Solani 633, the Perique had become so much stronger than when I smoke it fresh. It has become a Perique bomb similar to the old version of Three Nuns. It is spicy as all get up and I was really surprised at the change. Many Vapers like Escudo lose some of the peppery spiciness after a decade but not the Solani. It ages like Three Nuns where the Perique becomes much more pronounced the longer you age it.

Since given a sample by brother PD last month, I'll have to add this one. I've bought more and have to say that 4 Noggins' Prairie Wind has to be one of THE BEST of this genre of blends. I've smoked it ALL day and have found it to be absolutely FANTASTIC! :cheers:  And to think I did not like VaPers :twisted: 

monbla256":ktxpef6j said:
Since given a sample by brother PD last month, I'll have to add this one.  I've bought more and have to say that 4 Noggins' Prairie Wind has to be one of THE BEST of this genre of blends. I've smoked it ALL day and have found it to be absolutely FANTASTIC!  :cheers:  And to think I did not like VaPers  :twisted: 
Yes, it's fine indeed. And VERY affordable as well!

Cheers,

RR