Whiskey

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aaron

Reaction score
Gents

I am looking for a good sipping whiskey, I have a very childish sweet tooth so something that tastes sweeter would be really nice. Any suggestions?

I can't offer you any suggestions on sweet-tasting whiskeys, but I can suggest something else. Benadictine and Brandy, sold as B&B in most liquor joints. It's pricey, but extremely tasty. Goes well with a pipe.

There are some sweet rums out there. My Father in law had something this summer that was sweet & kind of coconutty, but I can't remember the name. Came in a clear plastic bottle.
I like spiced rums like Sailor Jerry's, not that sweet but smooth & rich.
Enjoy the search! :cheers:

More than likely Gentleman Jack would be sweeter than most other whiskeys while still maintaining a whiskey flavor (think of Butternut Burley which still maintains a tobacco taste while also including a slight sweetness/somewhat aromatic quality).

Other than that, maybe Crown Royal, but I find Crown too artificial tasting and not having all the qualities of a barrel aged whiskey/bourbon but that is strictly my opinion.

If you are really looking for some sort of cognac that will appease your sweet tooth, perhaps whiskey is not the way to go. A possible alternative may be a fine brandy, sherry or even a port (which despite popular belief, CAN be served on the rocks).

The first two that came to mind are Irish Mist Liqueur and Wild Turkey Honey Liqueur. Both hang in at about 70 proof so they're not as sweet and syrupy as most.

For regular type whiskeys, Irish Bushmill's Black Bush and Powers Gold , and Woodford's Reserve Kentucky bourbon have a sweet taste but not enough for me to classify them as a sweet tooth event.

Of course you can always add honey or corn syrup to any whiskeys to the sweetness level you desire.

Jim :drunken:

Forgot to add Lochan Ora, a Scotch based honey type liqueur

Maker's Mark isn't sugar-sweet, but I find it doesn't have that "hot" note on the tongue, and I can enjoy more of the sweetness and vanilla notes.

Drambuie is sickeningly sweet, but a Rusty Nail (Scotch with a little Drambuie mixed in) can really hit the spot. Hands-down, my favorite nightcap.

EJinVA":sw9u4bzg said:
There are some sweet rums out there. My Father in law had something this summer that was sweet & kind of coconutty, but I can't remember the name. Came in a clear plastic bottle.
I like spiced rums like Sailor Jerry's, not that sweet but smooth & rich.
Enjoy the search! :cheers:
In the sweet rums; Diplomatico Exclusiva Reserva and Ron Zacapa 23 Anos...

I agree with Doc Manhattan - a rusty nail is the perfect blend of (scotch) whiskey and sweet. I prefer mine with just a bit of the Dram, enough to bring the drink to life but not make it all that sweet.

Served with Nightcap, it's a great nightcap.

Not really a whiskey, more of a Liqueur, Southern Comfort. I find it quite sweet.

I would also second the Maker's Mark and Woodford Reserve. I have mixed it with Mt. Dew, sweet and it sneaks up on ya. If you can find it, Very Old Barton 101 proof, very smooth and a good caramel finish.

My vote goes to Bulliet Frontier Whiskey out of Lawranceburg Kentucky which is my favorite and a fellow pipe smoker turned me onto. In second place would be Makers Mark (my favorite until I tasted the Bulliet) or Woodford Reserve.

I don't know the specific brand but up here we have a maple sipping whiskey using only the finest pure maple syrup blended with quality Canadian rye. The only bad part is that the alc% drops to a reasonable 30%. It'll still warm your heart though and has a very gentle sweetness to it!

I'll look for a brand name for you if i can find it.

P.s. You'll notice i'm a little pro-Canada...someone has to be :rabbit:

Aaron":pxu62i2c said:
Gents

I am looking for a good sipping whiskey, I have a very childish sweet tooth so something that tastes sweeter would be really nice. Any suggestions?
Old Charter and Old Crow are very good and somewhat sweet. I like both but have taken a fancy to Old Crow and that is all I have been drinking for a while now.

Aaron,

Below is the review of Old Charter from Tastings.com. I think this bourbon whiskey might be just what you are looking for. I can testify as to the accuracy of the review. I have had many 1/2 pint jars of Old Carter.

Old Charter 12 Year Old Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whisky $10.99.
Rich copper color. Rich roasted nuts and caramel aromas. A smooth supple entry leads to a round, fruity-sweet medium-to full-bodied palate with sweet dried fruit, brown spice, chocolate frosting, and nut flavors. Finishes with a bold wave of sweet caramel, charred wood, and white pepper. Textbook bourbon and a very good value.

International Review of Spirits Award: Silver Medal

RATED: 88 points (Highly Recommended)
ALCOHOL BY VOLUME: 45.0%
CATEGORY: Whiskey Bourbon, Whiskey
TASTING LOCATION: In Our Chicago Tasting Room
TASTING DATE: Feb-12-2004
SPIRITS ID: 170835

About 2am this morning I had a flashback from my hunting trip Wyoming. The camp cook drank Pendleton Canadian Whisky and she said it was sweet. Though I didn't try it, I did find it odd that some how it was called a Canadian Whisky but was in fact made using Mt. Hood (Oregon) spring water and bottled in Oregon by Hood River Distillers.

Jim

Justpipes":djkt4wv1 said:
Aaron,

Below is the review of Old Charter from Tastings.com. I think this bourbon whiskey might be just what you are looking for. I can testify as to the accuracy of the review. I have had many 1/2 pint jars of Old Carter.

Old Charter 12 Year Old Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whisky $10.99.
Rich copper color. Rich roasted nuts and caramel aromas. A smooth supple entry leads to a round, fruity-sweet medium-to full-bodied palate with sweet dried fruit, brown spice, chocolate frosting, and nut flavors. Finishes with a bold wave of sweet caramel, charred wood, and white pepper. Textbook bourbon and a very good value.

International Review of Spirits Award: Silver Medal

RATED: 88 points (Highly Recommended)
ALCOHOL BY VOLUME: 45.0%
CATEGORY: Whiskey Bourbon, Whiskey
TASTING LOCATION: In Our Chicago Tasting Room
TASTING DATE: Feb-12-2004
SPIRITS ID: 170835
thank you sir, I think I'll have to look that one up.

All these sound fantastic too bad I'm a poor college student supporting a wife and baby. :x Not that that's a bad thing. 8)

When budget is a concern you can't fail with Old Crow, 9 bucks for 750ml bottle here in the Commonwealth of Va.
You could always mix it with soda if you need it sweeter. Coke, Sprite etc...

hazmat":rd9uj17v said:
Just build a still....that's legal, ain't it? :joker:
Just don't try to sell it. :geek:

Hummm, with copper prices comin down you might could build a still purtty cheap rite now.
Great Thinkin :lol!: